Guitar Modifications

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by justneedaguitar, Jan 13, 2009.

1. unet

unet New Member

Should i post a "Changing pickups, installing a killswitch and install an effect inside your guitar" tutorial?

I plan on doing all three by the end of Feb. :D

2. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

oh that would be cool :D

btw, i thought about installing a killswitch in my guitar once. but drilling a hole in the guitar kinda scared me. so not gonna do it :p

3. unet

unet New Member

Thats what pickguards are for.

4. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

ah my ibanez grg170dx does not have pick guard and fixing a pick guard is drilling more holes in the guitar. so anything related to drilling holes in the guitar = no for me. :S

5. unet

unet New Member

:)
    I have the GRG150. so its basically mod heaven.

With a little effort i could probably fit a Floyd rose into it, but i dont really want to.
    My list of mods is freaking HUGE!
    (Gonna cost me too :()

6. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

cool

the only mods i would like to do on my GRG 170DX are switch the positions of the volume and tone knobs and change the pickups

but spending like 10k on EMG 81/85 pickups that too on a 13k rupees walla guitar a cleaver move? really worth it?

7. unet

unet New Member

The Basswood in the GRG's bodies make a pretty nice sound.

The only bad thing about these Ibanez'es in the cheap hardware.
    So with enough decent parts thrown in, you'd probably have a pretty quality guitar.

Although if i were you, i'd get a nice amp first. Something that would actually respond to pickup changes.

What amp do you have?

8. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

i have marshall mg15cdr. but i use it only for practice. for recording i use Zoom G2.1u directly to the PC with USB. not planning to change the amp coz on stage i am planning to use just the zoom g2.
    not planning to get a good amp in the near future coz carrying my own amp for just 1 or 2 songs on stage is kinda stupidity :p + i don't play that well.
    will upgrade to a better amp only if i get into a band and the other guitarist in the band uses a nice amp. or the procy is just fine for me now.

and i think changing pickups wont do any good with procys

9. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

i have marshall mg15cdr. but i use it only for practice. for recording i use Zoom G2.1u directly to the PC with USB. not planning to change the amp coz on stage i am planning to use just the zoom g2.
    not planning to get a good amp in the near future coz carrying my own amp for just 1 or 2 songs on stage is kinda stupidity :p + i don't play that well.
    will upgrade to a better amp only if i get into a band and the other guitarist in the band uses a nice amp. or the procy is just fine for me now.

and i think changing pickups wont do any good with procys

10. unet

unet New Member

Changing to EMGs gives you:
    1. REALLY high output...(hence the battery)
    Now this would be useful if you have a tube amp/ tube amp modeller, that would actually react to the output.

2. Amazing clarity when in Distortion.
    This you might like, if you think your stock setup is lacking.
    I'm just saying, you cant change to EMG's and then ust expect to have Metallica's tone.
    I suggest you look into a distortion pedal....i've tried the Zoom, and there are many pedals out there that could do (the drive part atleast) better.

11. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

ah but analog pedals need good amp rite?
    if you were to buy a processor for metal, which one would you buy? don't say pod x3 live or boss gt-10 :p max i can afford is like 15-16k for processor.

12. unet

unet New Member

:)
    I know...im in the same position you are!
    Why do you want another processor?
    Do you like using a lot of different effects?

And about pedals, there are plenty of digital pedals that sound good.
    And on a budget too!
    How much CAN you spend?
    Is there any old gear you can sell?

Do you actually WANT to move up from a processor right now, or are you happy with how it sounds?

13. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

Look man,
    No offense to your skills, but I'd advise you to concentrate more on your playing techniques rather than the tone. Why Im saying this is until and unless yoor skill and technique is upto the mark, no amount of gear can help you get the tone.
    Please bear in mind that I do not know your skill level, you might be the next Alexi, or it might be the first day you held your guitar. For fear of flaming, I repeat it again, THIS IS NOT A COMMENT ON YOUR PLAYING SKILLS.

Once your technique starts to improve (and it always improves, no matter how it is right now) you'll slowly start realizing that the same setup gives you more of what you're looking for. Another reason why I say this is, this gear-thing is a fu**in rabbit hole, and there's no end to it. You could take the advise of 50 guys on the net, and they'll suggest you 50 pedals and 100 amps and so many mods and all, none of which might work for you.

The more you play, the more you yourself understand YOUR technique and your style of playing. Once that is in place, you will have a much narrower idea of what kind of tone you're looking for. At that point, the purchase that you make would be better suited to your style, technique etc.

Q. if you were to buy a processor for metal, which one would you buy?
    Ans : All of them, none of them...whatever. Just buy something used that gives you good distortion. A cheapo pedal goes a long way sometimes if you take the time to read the manual, tweak the settings. Few if any, pedals come with nice factory settings. The settings will also depend on what you're feeding it to. Factory settings are usually for output to a Marshall/Fender/Mesa Boogie whatever, and you might be running it to a Stranger, in which case TWEAK!!
    Buy a second hand pedal, and tweak the hell out of it. You're bound to get something you like.

14. unet

unet New Member

Honestly, THIS.

Do what this man says and you will achieve much success.
    Now GO, young Alexi, and make us proud.

15. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

ya i completely agree with what you just said
    but ah i am not gonna upgrade anytime soon. i just asked that question to know your opinion. but i framed it wrong. kinda bad english. i should have asked-
    "if you were to buy a processor for metal with a max budget of 15-16k, which one would you go for?"
    ya i concentrate more on playing rather than tone. coz i can't get even one proper tone with my procy and editing is pain in it. so i thought "Fuk the tone"

again sorry for the confusion caused due to my bad english. and again i am not gonna buy a new procy or anything. just asking you for your opinion.

16. justneedaguitar

justneedaguitar New Member

thnk u dude
    wont b doin such fukin crap job now
    btw can u tell me a good guitar around 10-15k and some gud pickups for it

17. livfstdieyoung

livfstdieyoung New Member

since this topic same up i was thinking of customizing a crappy givson guitar just for the sake of fun...
    like a custom paintjob ,already have one in mind(i recently read this amazing ebook explaining how to paint guitars at home in a very easy way,it showed the zakkwylde bulls eye example and a couple more.
    I dont think am allowed to post links here ...)
    and maybe changing the pickups coils aswell later..

@unet
    dude what switch have you thought of using for the killswitch for your grg?

18. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

changing pickup "coils"? What are those?
    Btw, whats the deal with the killswitch? Why don't you roll-off the volume of one pickup to zero and use the pickup selector as the killswitch?

19. livfstdieyoung

livfstdieyoung New Member

Pickups are made up of poles and copper coil wounded on it ,poly-coated copper pickup wire to be exact..the tone of the pickup depends on the type of material(magnetic) used for the pole for example alnico 2 or alnico 5 and also on the number of coils wound on it ..the type of winding may also make difference.
    As far as killswitchs r concerned yes you can roll off the volume on one and use the pickup selecter..but not all guitars have seperate volume pots like my Ibanez Rg370B so for these guitars only a killswitch can do the trick.And if you wanted to know how a killswitch works then i can get some nice links for you..basically a killswitch will be switching the signal from your pickups to the ground signal.SPST switches are usually used for that.
    btw you selling your duncans ?which ones?

20. unet

unet New Member

My guitar has only one volume knob.

Not sure yet.
    Do you mean brand or like SPST etc ?