Guitar Modifications

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by justneedaguitar, Jan 13, 2009.

1. justneedaguitar

justneedaguitar New Member

Hey can sum1 recommend me some good ideas of modifying my Blue diamond(Cant sell it)
    So does ne1 mind telling me which pickups to fit them up with????

2. unet

unet New Member

What amp do you have?

Good pickups will only shine through a nice amp.
    Besides that:
    1. New properly cut nut
    2. Locking Tuners (Schaller, Gotoh, Sperzel)

I really don't know this "blue diamond" guitar, so i have no idea what features it has.
    Amp, guitar features and budget please!

3. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

its supposd to be a GiVSon......need i say more?????

4. distorted

distorted satan

I suppose dat blue diamond wud hv costed u arnd 5k. Geeting, decent pikups,, gud strings myt cost u above 7k, still u will play wid a not even average body n a similar fretboard, u wont be utilising the pikups really on such a body....
    so rather den upgrading a crappy guitar, better save sum more and get an ibanez GRX20 or GRG170, if u get it frm a proper place u will get the grx arnd 11k n grg170 at 13k... second hands may cost u all d more cheap... n definitely they will sound a lot better...

5. unet

unet New Member

The GRG's are pretty nice guitars for the price.

I'm performing some serious upgrades on mine, hopefully by the end, it'll be a real beast.

6. distorted

distorted satan

^changing pikups?? I ws planning to change mine too... Will u mind giving ur reviews aftr u r dun... Newys, wt music u play n wt pikups u r gonna use?

7. unet

unet New Member

If you're asking me, then i play anything from classic/alt rock to full out death metal.
    I'm getting a Seymour Duncan TB-5 for the bridge and a Classic 2 Alnico 2 for the Neck.
    I'm also gonna get a bone nut cut for 10 gauge strings, new tone pot, capacitor (Orange drop), and maybe new volume pot.
    I'm also gonna replace all the screws :D
    If i can manage it, i might also wire the pups for coil tap/phase reversal, we'll see.
    I'll definitely submit a review.

8. distorted

distorted satan

:::::::::::::::::

9. distorted

distorted satan

Wt abt the emg actives 81 n 85, i ws planning to get them fr me... Any opinion regarding them??

10. unet

unet New Member

If all you like is metal, go ahead.
    They're supposed to be great active pickups.
    But be warned, you will have to route a batter compartment into your guitar, because both 81 and 85 need 9V supplied.

Also, there is an 18V mod that makes them sound MUCH better.

11. distorted

distorted satan

yeah i play all metal n hard rock, dats y i ws going fr them... Thanx fr the opinion bro...

12. unet

unet New Member

I've said this before, try Alberto's (if you're in Mumbai)
    On sites like Bajaao, you'll get an EMG 81/85 Set for 12k.
    With albertos' you could probably get like 1.5 to 2k reduced from that.

13. distorted

distorted satan

I'll be getting it frm banglore man, sum shop there quoted me 10 k, i suppose dats ok.

14. unet

unet New Member

That's great!
    Go for it, then review and sound clips.
    :)

15. distorted

distorted satan

Yeah sure, but i'll be doing it only by feb end... saving fr it nw...

16. unet

unet New Member

Nice.

I'm saving for either an AMT or a set of locking tuners....haven't decided which.
    I'm gonna see how my tuning stability improves after i get my new nut (no pun intended) and maybe a trem block.

17. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

LOL your Givson probably uses the wood from all the trees they're cutting relentlessly to widen to the roads.

It's not going to make you as happy as you think to put good pups on a badly made guitar.

Will you be happy to have a sound that's less than a quarter of the way to what you probably have in your head right now? Moreso will you happy playing a guitar that will only let you get less than a quarter of the way to what you could probably play?

18. unet

unet New Member

I'm assuming you're not talking to me...

What TS REALLY wants is a new amp.
    Bad guitar -> bad amp= :( :( :( :(
    Good guitar -> bad amp = :( :(
    Awesome guitar -> Bad amp= :|
    Bad guitar -> Good amp= decent/good sound
    Good guitar -> Good amp = Good/great sound
    Amazing guitar -> good amp = great/awesome sound
    Amazing guitar -> amazing amp = awesome/brilliant sound

19. Wildchild_Sam

Wildchild_Sam New Member

Well.... it will improve the sound but it wont be awesome.
    Besides im sure the guitars playability sucks. Soloing and picking will be difficult, especially when your playing really fast. I'd say either get Korean pups for 1200 bucks (your givson isnt worth your Duncans and EMGs) or get a Ibanez GRG170 DX or something. \

But anyways the choice is yours :)

Btw if you ARE doing the mod ..then post a worklog with lots of pictures and all :)

20. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

but is it worth putting EMG 81/85 in ibanez GRG170DX? lol it will cost as much as the guitar itself :p