Guitar Maintenance

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by lord_neo, May 13, 2005.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

How do you maintain your guitar? Please share your tips....

2. shak

shak Harrr!

keep the body clean .. wipe it with soft cloth once in a while
    wipe off body oils from the gutiar hardware .. .especially off the bridge.
    keep your guitar in cover ... get yourself a hardcase or gig bag.
    dont lean your guitar against sofas or walls .... the weight can warp the neck.
    for rosewood fretboards, use lemon oil every 6 months, thats will keep it from dryin out
    wipe strings after playing, this will prolong their life.
    dont let your li'll brother play "aadat" on your guitar .. he will scratch it till the finish flakes off .. .. yup a bad experience ... hehehe
    when storing your guitar for long periods, losen the strings.
    dont leave acoustics in sun/hot car ... serious damage can occur.
    avoid tinkering with frets, dont ever go near them with a sand paper.
    never use felt-tip pens or markers to make "custom graphics" .. can bleed the finish
    never use alcohol near your guitars ... especially vodka!! .. it can smog the finish.(i dont drink but i know ... dun ask how)
    use soft straps, other wise they can give you a bad rash on your shoulder and can scratch the finish as well.
    dont carry your guitar around while grabbing it by neck .... no it doesnt look cool, no dont, i am warning you .. you are not listening are ya ... stop it!
    go easy on tremolo units.

to be continued......

Addy Pant and rizaaj like this.
  3. s/ash

s/ash New Member

i really didn't knew that ...thx for the information pal i'll keep that in kind thx again...

Take care!

4. s/ash

s/ash New Member

*kind = mind, sorry

5. shak

shak Harrr!

once in an year oil your machines, there should be holes for oiling, but if there arent any then pour some along the posts, or directly on the wormwheel.
    do not use tissue paper to polish the gutiar top, even tissue can scratch the delicate finish.
    line the inside of the control cavity with household aluminium foil, this will reduce the electronic humm/buzz .. (the cavities are usally painted with protective graphite paints sometime they arent enuff)
    get yourself the strap locks, so you dont drop your guitars while jumping up and down, these common straps are very unreliable,
    evry once in a while shake your guitar, if anything rattles, check it out, a stitch in time saves nine... thats what wise men said.
    if u have active pickups, get your self a stereo jack, and wire it, so the circuit is only completed when the jack is plugged in, this will save u batteries.
    dont mess with pickups (i mean dont poke them with needles, or anything)

to be continued ....

6. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

i keep my guitar clean with the help of shirts/towels etc which ppl leave to dry in the hostel corridors ... pretty sophisticated.. hehooo !!

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

lemon oil... hmm id better do that....

problem is i have a fr locknig system...

maintainngi by removing strings is painful...
    any tips? - i do clean strings, etc... and i do wipe the body with a soft cloth with water then with a dry one....

i also use a handkerchief to clean the fretboard and the bottom of the strings by using the hammy bar to droop the satrings and then passing the cloth between strings and fretboard and then wiping.
    i start from first fret and then go alnong to the 24th - starting form 1st helps coz if u start from 24th and move to first - dirt accumualts near the head stock....

8. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

never smash your guitar like Pete Townhend (The Who) or burn it like Jimi Hendrix :)

9. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hardly I do any kinda cleaning. Once in a while I clean the strings with my fingers. That's it.

10. Radius_Vector

Radius_Vector New Member

Well, I dont know what kind of wood my fretboard has, but it looks a bit dusty, any tips on how to clean it for any wood? and also maintain it?

Also, is it ok to use some lubricant on your fingers while trying a hammer on or pulloff or will it damage the strings?

11. ronnieanand

You can dip your finger tips in a bit of oil for lubrication. This is a technique used for centuries across various string instruments, so I guess it should be good for guitar though. Oil will never damage strings but rather prevent rusting. Another thing is, I dont understand why you require lubrication for doing hammer ons and pull offs. If you said sliding was difficult, I can understand.

12. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

looking at ronnie's last post thats regarding string cleaning its true you can't let those strings go green so keep looking at them from underneath and just use a combination of your nail and fingertip to clean off the green scum. If that stays on the string then it basically helps in tearing the string apart earlier causing it to visually vibrate funny and lead to detuning.

13. ENT

ENT TuMhArAa_AKS

yar there is a huge problem here my lil brother always play aadat on my guitar any solution u have :annoyed:

14. shak

shak Harrr!

for fret board tell me is it black, brown (with a slight figure) or whitish/yellow
    if its black its ebony, if its brwon its rosewood, if its whitish then its maple .. (these are the most common woods) , the easy thing is to take a soft cloth, moistne it, squeeze all the water out of it .... and then buff your fretboard... dont use any detergents or soaps.

15. The Pacifist

The Pacifist New Member

- The oil from your fingers can really kill the strings. So wipe them off after you play long....
    - Whatever metal you are playing, your plectrum striking pickups is bad. For those of you wondering...yes it does happen. Especially when you are trying to play Slash-Don't cry type harmonics......
    - If you are the adventorous kind, or have a really ancient electric guitar, open it up and clean up the pickup connections with a soft cloth. Its bound to change your guitar's timbre.
    - Off topic, dont be in a hurry to change your electric if the tone fades off. get yourself new pickups. It gets even more exciting if you get your hands on a humbucker. I especially like that sweet tone that it lends.

16. shak

shak Harrr!

true ... the magents of pickups do fade away, another way of refreshing them is to take ur pickup to a pro. and ask him to recharge the magnets.
    @ENT: tell your bro "Stop killing my guitar ...go easy on it!!!!" ..repeat, repeat, repeat until he gets fed up and leaves it alone ... or better yet ..do what i did ... get him a cheap acoustic to practice.

17. ENT

ENT TuMhArAa_AKS

thanks buddy

18. ronnieanand

One simple thing to remember. Never leave your guitar leaning on a Wall. It puts a lot of unnessacary pressure on the neck. If you want to just hold the guitar, hold it by it's body and not by the neck. I see lot of people holding it by the neck. I dont know how much it will screw the guitar but surely it's not a friendly treatment to the neck.

19. ENT

ENT TuMhArAa_AKS

u r in 2005 and u dont need to buy watch because pc also show dates and time
    just kidding

20. ronnieanand

That was a famous quote of Jerry Garcia of Greatful Dead.