GUitar Maintenance

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Harsh Kumar, Apr 9, 2006.

1. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Absolutely NO WATER anywhere near the guitar. Wood or otherwise. If you can't afford the guitar polishes or think they are a waste, use household polish, if that's not available, use a hair oil or something. Just be sure to wipe it dry with a clean cloth afterwards as oil attracts dirt. but NOOO WATER!!!

2. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

Dude post the guides here or if u are too chicken to do it then send them to me via mail thats completely legal. [beep]

3. vishalj

vishalj Banned

I said who cares about the shine, the SHINE not the finish. I have a Hobner. I have been cleaning it with water for god knows how many years. There's nothing wrong with it. Tell me what should I be looking for when you say water will **** my guitar up.

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

you amaze me . WELL I DO CARE ABOUT THE SHINE. If you think you are right go ask any guitar tech and see what they tell you. Just clean your guiotar with a soft cloth, if it is not overly dirty. The best trick is claenm your guitar after evry use with a soft cloth. NO WATER......... I dont mean to sound rude or INTIMDATING but honestly you amaze me whaen you think there is NOTHING WRONG IN USING WATER

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

havent u seen what happens to doors during the rains...
    imagine that happening to ur guitar
    for the frets, use dunlop condiiotning kit...the best thing there is
    it pwns man......

6. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

Really sorry, i misunderstood that for Just jerking (if u know wat i mean...)

7. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

^^ Oops! I took JJ for Jumbo Jerk! Sorry....

8. vishalj

vishalj Banned

https://www.wholenote.com/default.asp?iTarget=http://www.wholenote.com/cgi-bin/page_view.pl?l=577

Scroll down to "Cleaning the guitar"
    I'll quote a part of it too: "STANDING water is what damages wood -- we're talking about a damp rag."

..and Intimidating? Don't kid yourself. This is a message board

Saurabh about the doors getting spoilt in the rain, its only the unpolished/unvarnished ones that get spoilt. I'll check out the Dunlop Kit one of these days. Hope it doesn't burn a hole in my pocket.

9. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I dont disagree with by Alan Horvath . He is talking abouth A DAMP RAG THAT IS WRUNG DRY NOT WET OR DAMP TISSUES. There is a world of a diff between the two and how much moisture they will hold. Try wrining a damp tissue and it will tear it in your hands. Also what Alan has suggested out her is very brief, he has not given all the steps in using a damp cloth. And you dont need to use a damp cloth, every time, infact not even once a year. Its only in the case where the guitar is very very dirty with tuff stains to be removed. to quote ALLAN: "The more the wood DRIES and ages, the more resonant and rich it's sound will become.". Now if you keep adding amoisture how do you expect the wood to dry?

10. vishalj

vishalj Banned

By keeping it outside in the sun

11. Harsh Kumar

JJ is for just joking only i have verified from a sms book, i think the same rulez apply on net also.

12. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

You wil WARP your neck and Also you can warp your body

13. vishalj

vishalj Banned

My neck's warped anyways and my back hurts too nowadays... and my knees, oh my.

14. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

Repustation for u dude. I liked those pdf :beer:

15. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

The PDF manuals are nice Harsh. Gie me a few days I am very busy at the moment, I will send you more info on how to clean your guitar.

16. Harsh Kumar

Thank You guys.
    I guess when u buy a G u wanna hold on to it for some time and so while u are holding on to it, it should work the best

17. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

its Chicks and Humor

and :nw:

PS--reps for the PDF manuals

18. Harsh Kumar

thanx for the reps ppl