guitar maintenance..

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by call_of_ktulu41, Apr 26, 2004.

1. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

uhm ..hey!
    im paranoid abt guitar truss rods being bent cos im always having the feeling the strings arent "hugging" the fretboard close enough (maybe cos of a bent rod)...what do i do about that?? ...is it cos of a bent guitar rod??.....and whats the best to keep a guitar somewhere..(DO NOT tell me the guitar case!!)..
    appreciate a reply..
    ty

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Guitar Stand???

Anyways the Bending is due to improper bridge setting or usage of strings of the wrong guage or both..

Try using Lighter gueaged strings and set the guitar bridge for a higher action??

3. call_of_ktulu41

jayanth...let me explain..
    look at this..this is a part of the intro solo in fade to black by kirk hammett
    e|----------------------------------------------------------------1419P14----|
    B|--------------------------------------------------------------15-------15--|

after i play 15 on the b string...i have to play 15 on the e...the thing is as soon as i remove my finger on the "b15" its like im
    playing a 15p0.....
    i think it s cos my string are way high...what do i do..
    and the stands..is that the only way out

4. jayanth

Ok.. I suggest you use lighter guage strings and also

Untune your Guitar and slowly lower the bridge till you are comfartably playing and you dont get Buzz sounds. Then tune your guitar and play. If you still experience the problem then you may have to use this guitar for "Interior Decorations"

5. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

:think: oh i c
    buy a new 1 ;)
    :)

6. call_of_ktulu41

oh yeah..so when are you buying me one

7. jayanth

Get a Non Givson guitar.... If you get one...

8. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

get a quality Japan or USA build guitar Fender USA Strat or Gibson USA.

In anycase back to the question, you could try twist the rod inside by adjusting the allen key that basically bends the rod but only do this as a last resort and if you don't know what I'm talking about ask someone who can understand the above :)

but only do that after what jayanth says fails.

9. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

YOu Mean the truss ROD right??

It wont do.. YOu can try changing the whole neck. Will cost you around 400-500 Rs.. Its another Option.. Then when you change the wood, the guy who repairs will set the Rod right..

10. call_of_ktulu41

darn..now there is a buzz in the amp when i plug my guitar in...when i hug the fretboard with my fingers ....it disappears only to reappear when i remove it... my guitar is jinxed...

11. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

That happenes generally due to improper grounding.. Also due to loose pickup wiring. Check them all an give me a call...