Guitar Fingering

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rampai, Mar 2, 2005.

1. rampai

rampai New Member

How to decide which finger to use for which fret?
    Is their any chart for it?

waiting for your replies :nw:

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

well there is no hard and fast rule but it's generally 1 finger per fret like so..

1st fret - 1st finger
    2nd fret - 2nd finger
    3rd fret - 3rd finger
    4th fret - 4th finger

And if you need different frets you would go like so

3rd fret - 1st finger
    4th fret - 2nd finger
    5th fret - 3rd finger
    6th fret - 4th finger

And so on...remember it's generally 1 finger per fret.

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

depending upon the chords and scales you are playing , you would be placing your fingers on the frets .,...

the key word is pactise , check out the chord dictionary ( search for it at IGTs ) , you would have a better idea ...

once you know your placing of your fingers on the frets , you can ammend the same as per your convinience , the postions of finger placement on the frets are more important ...

4. rampai

rampai New Member

Thanks alot for the reply.

But, does the finger to be used depend on the string to be played?

thanks again :nw: and again :nw:

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

no,i doesnt. Its more to do with comfort and economy.
    "The secret to gr8 speed is gr8 comfort". Thus u shudnt have to do incredible stretches just because u havent developed ur pinkie. What dmf suggested is the best method.

6. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

yeah for sure ...

the main thing , as i said earlier is to know the position of finger placement and your chords and chords shiftin...

once you know the next shift in chords , you can accordingly adjust you finger placement on the frets makin it sound more smooth and in flow ...

7. nadish

nadish Active Member

That was a good question asked by Rampai... Use to me also...

8. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

there is no hard and fast rule for which fingers to use. Use what is comfortable for you.
    Django Reinhardt had just two working fingers, and he played amazing guitar!
    One of my college friends had an interesting usage, when playing an Amaj shaped barre chord, pepople normally barre with index finger, and make a "little" barre with the ring finger two frets ahead - but this guy made that "little" barre with his little finger (and played great of course)!

9. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

>check out the Part of HOTEL OF CALIFORNIA.....LIVE
    when he gives the part of intro......thats is amazing example of fiingering

10. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

That's not really uncommon. Many guitarists bar using the little finger. James Hetfield does it all the time. I do it myself sometimes as well. It's not hard at all.