Guitar duet/trio/quartet concept in India?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by ultrabot90, Nov 13, 2010.

1. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

When I first started my transcription website, I had this idea.

India has a lot of guitarists, as soon as two guitarists meet, the first thing on both's minds is "Let's form a band.".

Now since -
    1. Other instrument players apart from guitarists are really hard to find,
    2. A regular vocal-guitar-guitar-bass-drum band is somewhat hard to form

I was wondering about how popular the guitar duet/trio/quartet format could be around here.

Maybe if I arranged all of my present and future transcriptions exclusively for one of those formats (whichever you think will be more easily form-able), and IF people see in these formats what I see - flexibility, easy setup, not hard to manage, portable - it could be made popular.

This is something like what I mean, because I don't mean a classical guitar duet/trio/quartet - rare few people do classical, but scores of them do plectrum guitar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfN2pmofCQM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNUaDY2Rg30

(Of course, if one or more guitarists of the ensemble decide to do fingerstyle, they can cover a lot more ground.)

Would it be popular? Discuss/suggest/comment.

Thanks.

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

...i think it will be popular..

3. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

try this.. it'll be even more popular :)

4. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

That's gotta be easier than normal guitar... You've got one guy playing three strings and one girl playing three... That's easier than playing all six strings yourself... Just practice out a division of which strings each is gonna pick - although that vid looks cute and impresses the chicks, I'm sure... ;)

Ultra: IMHO guitarist groups will work. If it sounds good, it'll definitely be popular, I think... But without a drummer the music you can play will be quite limited. Also, the sort of examples you have put up are not enjoyed by most of us when we think of "popular music".

But what's the reason for moving thataway, non-availability of a drummer?

5. ultrabot90

Hey, thanks for your inputs ^^

@rickkky - Ah, guitar 4 hands. I've seen that. Like Doc says, not hard (except those bits where one plays the LH part and the other plays the RH part - definitely looks hard), but a little...pointless, both technically and musically. And too homo53Xual (guitar is a male dominated art, unfortunately).

Yeah, I'm not exactly expecting LoG metchulz in this format, heh (something tells me metal is the only thing that is selling on the guitarist/performer's circuit in India these days, but then again I'm quite out of touch). Besides, I meant something LIKE that video - in the harsh reality of India, one guitarist (or even both) will be doing vocals with guitar duties ;)

I think those guys were pretty groovy in the first video (though, if you find it boring, do chime in because there are a lot such things I like which most don't, and I can't have that coming in the way of my projects.)

I don't exactly think that the problem here is about sounding good (that's more to do with the players' skill and the composition), but it's about giving the musicians here an easier, more adaptable format to work on. The regular band generally proves too hard to create. Imagine - surplus of guitarists, acute shortage of <insert any instrument other than guitar>. So I have a feeling this could help tons of guitarists by giving them something they CAN - easily - do.

To clarify, I'm not talking about composing for this format, but rather, arranging popular songs for it and releasing the Guitar Pro files (what a universal binder they are ^^) on my blog.

What say? Also, if you say it's a good proposition, what's better - duet, trio, or quartet?

[Personal gut feel says duet - 1 guitarist (apart from oneself) is easier to find and 'maintain' (managing meetings, finding replacements, cooperating work, etc) than 2 or 3. Plus the lucky ones who can find more guitarists can do more - I'd be pleased to personally give them creative arrangements for popular music.]

Also, just remembered this when typing that last bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPaYeFN5mYg
    Acoustic guitar trios and quartets are AWESOME (yes, 'acoustic' = I'm hinting at the one guitar doing percussive parts). @_@
    Another advantage of guitar ensembles is that you can introduce a drummer as per convenience, ditto a bassist (who can octave-double the bass parts, so the group can perform both with and without a bassist.)

6. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Oh, you're planning to provide guitar-only tabs for popular music!! Hell yeah! That'll be so effin useful... Sign me up!! (Or rather, DO WANT, I'm already signed up)

7. ultrabot90

Eh. Bowled over by your enthusiasm. (for a second I thought it was sarcasm)

As far as 'guitar only tabs'...
    I like to think of my transcriptions as realistic scores of the music, I generally keep the same instrumentation as the original...
    So technically speaking a guy who's a little smart with sheet music (and for guitar, knows decent fingerstyle/touchstyle) can use my transcription to play in a solo/duet/trio/quartet/quintet/5extet/septet/octet etc without actually writing down anything...
    It's the rest of the people for whom I'm making the arrangements. ;)

(Hmm...just occurred to me that I'll need to think like a pathetic despicable plectrum guitarist for these arrangements till some savior intelligent fingerstyler/touchstyler comes along :p)

Well, I'll get going with it. Time for a feasibility check.

8. flood

flood New Member

judging by the reception of indigenous bands these days, if the music is good, the format is irrelevant.

9. ultrabot90

If that's the case...I may be a little too late. This was definitely a problem worth addressing, a little while back. Perhaps not now. What do you say - worth going ahead?

10. flood

flood New Member

dunno man, all in your hands. just work hard and you'll get the reception you want.

whether a format will work or not shouldn't be the reason for you to explore it. that's how i see things. there are greater factors at hand than that - the people you play with, the music you create. so try it or keep wondering about it.