Guitar Buying Guide

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rabi_sultan, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

ok time to get onto talking about Gibson. Since i don't know too much about their company I would appreciate it if people who know filled in the gaps. So here we go...

Gibson is along with Fender recognised as the two largest manufacturers of guitars. They have been in competition with one another for a very long time, just like Fender they have different models for different purposes and varying grades of quality. These quality bands are:

Korina
    Gibson
    Epiphone

<!-- put in stuff about the mfgrs -->

Some of the models that the Gibson family produces are
    Les Paul
    SG
    Firebird
    Explorer
    X-Factor
    Flying V
    Hawk
    ES-137
    Classic Memphis Blues

I have yet to play any of these but i will be playing them in the upcoming weeks so i will let you know what i think each one is best suited for and where it has an advantage.

Anyone want to do Jackson, Ibanez or another?

(this is a half finished guide i will keep adding to it when i find out new things)

2. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

THread Closed Until Requested..

3. rabi_sultan

ok i played a SG and to be honest it's not looking promising for my reviews of the Gibson series as I don't really like them. Maybe a Gibson lover could write the Gibson guide up as i think that would be more fair as they would know what to say?

Also updated the Fender section added the amazing Mustang and the cool Cyclone 2.

4. rabi_sultan

bump. i still need someone to finish off that Gibson guide so there is a fair balance between the different guitar manufacturers.

5. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :&quot;(

@ Natasia.. thats right.. if only i had these tips.. but also i dint buy my guitar.. my uncle bought me 1.. he wantd 2 giv me a surprise.. so he went 2 a guitar store and found the sxiest lookin guitar out there.. :) with not the sxiest sound :) .. nyways.. i aint complainin.. :p:

@rabi, essi... gr8 tips :rock:

6. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

cool guide rabs and essi , dun know how i missed it out ,... anyways made it sticky now for others to refer ....

7. Venus

Venus New Member

man this is such a cool guide........very very handy i must say......thanks u guys!!!!!!!!!

8. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ok i thoguht id make a post about ibanez:

the main ibanez series in production are:
    RG
    GRG
    GSA
    GRX
    SA
    GSA
    S
    Prestige
    IC

The two most popular are the Rg prestige and the RG series - its the standard line of ianez guitars...

there are several signature series as well:
    JS - satriani
    NDM - noodles
    MMM - mushok
    DMM - malakian
    JEM - steve vai
    PG - paul gilbert
    K7 - korn
    there are some tohers but i dont know nething about them

the rg series and the ic series are a very economical series to buy - excellent quality - rock ottom prices....

pesronllay i think the prestige series and the JEM series are the best guitars theyve ever made - especially the prestige 2550.... excellent guitar....

i also like the look of the NDM sig alongwith the K7 series - iwas disappointed with the js series though

9. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

wut abt ....Les paul for electic...rhythm n lead ??

10. rabi_sultan

any guitar is good for rhythm or lead it doesnt matter whatever sound you prefer. you might like the crisp sharp tone of the Fender but others might prefer the warmer fuller tone of a Gibson its really all down to personal choice.

11. roshan_tauro

roshan_tauro New Member

U know what?? I got a classical guitar to learn guitar basics!!! crazy aint I. But i got it for real cheap :) a brand new one that too...

12. rabi_sultan

it doesnt matter if its a classic, acoustic or an electric when you start off. Reason is that when you start you need to get your left and right hands to do what they need to do in order to play so whatever you get you'll sound awful at first then slowly get better through practice.

13. nice work rabbi

14. gedanken

gedanken New Member

Left Electric Guitar

Hi guyz, im form Bangalore... im a left guitarist.. im actually a beginner kind of.. hav been playin wit an acoustic for quite some time now... now im interested in buyin an electric.. but since im a lefty i hardly hav any choice here in bangalore.. nobody seems to sell left electric guitars.. my budget is around 8k(excluding amp and processor)... so if any of u know any info bout where to get left guitars... pls let me know... i dont mind if its in cities pretty close to bangalore...

15. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

dude do what HEndrix did ...
    buy a right handed guitar ... and string it reverse ... that is reverse the order of the strings ...

but beware u might get some intonation problems ... coz if u notice the bridge is slightly angled ... to make the thickest string bridge portion the farthest from the nut ...

reversing the order will not change that ... so i guess for intonation u'll havta check out with a guitar technician ...

16. gedanken

gedanken New Member

Hey,
    its not so easy to reverse a right guitar da.. i'll have problems accessing the last few frets unless its a V shaped guitar...and in my budget i dont think i'll be gettin 1.. i actually checked out my friends BC rich who wants to sell it.. its a kickass guitar... but then i wont be able to use the 20-24 frets...so tats also a major problem... i seriously regret being a left hander...

17. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

get a custom job done ...

many ppl here know about it ...

18. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

b.t.w. gedanken is some german verb ... i have forgotten its meaning ... can u throw some light?

19. gedanken

gedanken New Member

gedanken is greek for Thought.... but i dont have a very good knowledge about pick-ups n stuff to go for a custom... can u help me out... do u know any1 who does custom guitars in b'lore

20. gedanken

gedanken New Member

Hey, howz this brand Tansen.. they actually offer 2 models in left version.. 1 of them costs around 14k with floyd rose and im not reall interested in it since im a beginner.. There's 1 model for around 7k.. its called H76.. u can check it out in the following link...https://www.harmony-guitars.com/electric guitars.htm.. pls advice me about this guitar.. whether its worth 7k and whether its a good guitar...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.