Guitar Body

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by DrSaurabh, Feb 16, 2005.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Ok someone tell me this...
    what diff does it make if the guitar body is 2 piece or 3 poeice or 1 piece......

2. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

I think it applies to acoustic guitars. One piece is supposed to be better than two piece in tonal quality.
    Also I think the grains on the body affect the tone, and if its a two piece, then the grains on both pieces must be aligned to get good tone. (this is usually the case in popular guitars)

rabi_sultan likes this.
  3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

it matters to the tone of guitars as well - u msutve heard of neck through body - they have better tone than bolt on necks

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

is string thru body same as setneck....bolt ons do suck at maintianing the tuning

5. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Neck throughs have higher sustain and smoothness of tone. But if the neck snaps the guitar is scrap(unless u take it to a luthier)

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ok..heres a short explanation on various neck joints....

1) Bolt-on : used in Strat, the back of the neck heel is bolted onto the body using a metal plate.How can it suck at maintaining tuning???Tuning will depend on ur tuners and bridge.Part of the Fender tone comes from this,it wud sound different with a different kind of neck joint.

2)Set neck : Used in LP, the neck is glued into the neck pocket in the body.Actually glue doesnt tranfer sound well but this being the cheapest option is used often.

3)Neck through : The neck extends right through the body, actually the body is made by attaching 2 wings on either side of the neck piece....the pickups and bridge are directly mounted onto the neck..giving tremendous sustain and neck stability.

4) Bolt-in : Very rare, used in earlier PRS models.....similar to bolt on except that the neck has a little bit of wood extending after the frets end, and the neck pickup is in direct contact to it....if u see a PRS ull see wat im talking abt..the double cutaway is so different than a strat's....

Strings thru body is a different thing ..it means that the string ends are directly inserted into the body,instead of a stopbar tailpiece...see the picture attached...

Attached Files:

rabi_sultan likes this.
  7. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

i haven't tuned my Fender for about 2 months its still in tune and its a bolt on

8. shak

shak Harrr!

bolt-on neck guitars have more twangy sound
    glued ones are more mellow and smooth
    string thru's have better sustain

dont mess with bolt-ons .. never take apart the neck and the body unless its a must.
    dont lean glued on guitars against walls or sofas, the neck warps really quickly.
    with string thrus forget floyd rose and tremolo units

just a few lessons that i learned the hard way :(

9. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

nice post man!

I had never come across the "bolt in", thanks!

10. shak

shak Harrr!

yup ... neva heard of bolt-ins before ... good one

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

@h4f0n and shahrukh...Thnx..its just a little sumthing i came across in my research on guitar construction..have ordered it on my custom guitar too..:)..i guess its not an 'official' type..only 1 or 2 brands might be offering it..earlier PRS versions had it then they too went for set necks....

12. shak

shak Harrr!

do you know about the sort of joints used in accoustics? .. most of them are dove-tail joints ... any others? ... any info is welcome

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Dunno anything about acoustics:eek::... ..will search up on it though..