guitar amp

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by limpbelevr, Jan 13, 2008.

1. limpbelevr

limpbelevr New Member

guys help me out wit this one...i need an fo jammin i have 15watts epiphone its pathetic lower notes r not heard when i increase the volume too much budget is around 10k...i don need the over drive...n it should mesh well wit metal muff or boss mt2....

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Stranger 80w.

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

MG15CD/R/FX. Good everything. (by Marshall/solid state amp standards)

4. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

the stranger 80W are quite transparent ,arent they alpha1?

5. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Never ever recomend an MG. After the low-end spiders, they are probably the shitiest sounding amps ever and theres better for the price.
    The only thing an MG is good for is dropping on the ground to hear it make a really cool explosion sound

6. ultrabot90

Cleverly put. MG10CD is my first amp. I dont use the amps tone, though. I dont even put my input into the guitar jack, I put it in the Aux input. Just so that I can get rid of the clean channel's as-you-turn-up-the-volume-you-turn-up-some-amount-of-gain-as-well. I have a processor to take care of any amp.
    Edit - Better for the price? Temme, please :shock:
    Transparent as in optically, like the BC Rich Acrylic series, or are those amps extra 'honest' or something? -.- Please explain.

7. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

My recommendation would be a Laney.

8. DagMX

DagMX New Member

For better for price, I've got a fender frontman whoo'se sound I prefer(it's still crap though). You can get some good deals on a vox as well and get it for cheaper. Bhatias and bhargavas usually offers pretty good prices on amps. It's all about sopping around

9. ultrabot90

I'm in love with the Laney ever since the "Guitar amp below 10k" thread. Yet to hear one playing though. Indeed, after I get a guitar, the first thing is to buy a good tube amp. I dont want any truck with solid states now. The MG10CD can be used as my pc speaker in its retirement >.>
    You live in Delhi?!

10. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Laney LX35R. I'm going to get me one.

11. DagMX

DagMX New Member

yeah, near pvr saket

12. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

hey..why would i mention optical transparency here.....i was talking about the amount of coloring (good or bad) the stranger(80 only) does to the tone...

13. DagMX

DagMX New Member

well most of the tone is the amp itself, so if it doesn't clolor your tone then its bad

14. thehundredthone

Of course if you're using a pedal with a good modeller then Stranger amps make decent PAs :p:

15. ultrabot90

^Of course I am. I rarely, if ever, use my amp for the tone-shaping...Too much of a bother. I already wrote this, but I plug my guitar into the auxillary input so that the tone-controls and EQ doesnt muck up the hard-worked-on patches I make.
    Edit - Hmmm...though after a read of this , I guess I'll go with the Laney after all.

16. ultrabot90

How come Marshall lost so much of their reputation, though? I thought it was legendary in the times of the classic rock gods...
    How come Mesa doesn't set up shop here in India? They'd flatten Stranger any day. Marshall did come, but we can see the kind of crap they make...(Read the review of MG30DFX on Ultimate Guitar, just see what drubbing they give it for being 'Made in India' x_x)
    Amp questions wont run out till eternity :(

17. DagMX

DagMX New Member

marshal is still legendary. It's just that rock music isn't taken seriously over here, and its much easier and cost efficient to flood the market with crap MGs and AVTs than with something like a JCM800.
    One thing about India is, unless a lot of people want it, you ain't gonna find it here

18. ultrabot90

True...Really true. What ALL the amp companies need to realize is...the first one of them that makes a decent tube amp for, say, 10k or less, is gonna get one hell of a buyer base. Now, on topic U.U

19. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

thats not really tube amp, just a 12ax7 preamp tube, its pretty much solid state after that.

do yourself a favour and get the LC15R, you won't regret it.

and for all the Marshall fans here, the Marshall that you people are talking about is the Plexi Superlead(used by tons of artists in the 60s and 70s like Hendrix, Pete Townshend) JTM45 Bluesbreaker(used by clapton and the likes...i've personally played one, the reissue and its THE most heavenly amp out there!!), followed by the JCM800(used mostly in the 80s for that typical high gain "brown" sound, think EVH, which was Hotrodded...which means modded for higher gain...JCM800).

Since then Marshall has hardly come up with anything good. Most of the tube amps which followed like the JCM900 and JCM2000 are mostly crap(all tube amps aren't holy grail btw, they're MUCH better than SS but among tube amps these are pretty shitty). having personally played the JCM2000 DSL, i can testify that its VERY untransparent and grainy(STILL a million times better than an SS, don't think im recommending against tube amps here)

The above reasons are the main causes for Marshall having lost its original glory. Although Marshall has recently released the Modern Vintage series which is being used by a lot of artists(Eric Johnson and Paul Gilbert to name a few), but you'll find almost no famous artist using anything released after the JCM800.

the reason why Mesa doesn't set up shop here is because most of their amps start at approximately 1500-2000 USD for just the heads, the combos(lonestars, stiletto etc) are also similarly priced. And Indian prices are usually twice of American so the cheapest Mesa you'll find here will probably cost 3000USD or 1.2 lakhs and in a country where most people go for the Marshall MG series and threads starting with "Best guitar and amp for under 5k" are in abundance, amps like Mesas, hell ANY tube amp, will get MURDERED by companies like Stranger and Playmate.

20. thehundredthone

@ultrabot: Marshall's are legendary only for the Plexi and JCM800. That's your G'n'R and Maiden sound. Their MG series is very sad, I was reminded of this yesterday while playing through an MG10CD.

I don't know how good the Laney will be, but I will be stuck with it once I buy it.