Guitar/amp setup having "common cold nasal sound" problem!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by floydjunky, Apr 24, 2006.

1. floydjunky

floydjunky New Member

Hello guys,

My question maybe unrelated to the topic here, but I didn't want to start a new thread so i'll post it here.

I usually use a Fender Blues Deluxe amp and a standard strat guitar, and I have been having some minor problems with the sound, specifically the "Common cold" sound on clean. It seems to be even worse when I try to record through my make shift recording gear (ie computer). Do you guys have any tips on how to allieviate this problem on a generic basis? I know this is a question which would be very specific to each type of amplifier and guitar setup, but perhaps one of you may hit the jackpot for me, who knows! OHh I also use a Keeley compressor pedal, which perhaps may add to this problem, but I love the "sustain" that it provides for indian music. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

strat through a fender amp is a perfect recipe for your situation. Nothing against either, but thinking about that combo makes the bottom of my spine start to twitch, talk about a "bite" fetish...

I remember playing a strat through a fender super reverb and a twin reverb and both were very hard to tame. I had to really pull back on the treble to get that sound to warm up. Stock strat pickups are very powerful as is and that just adds to the chaos. I personally prefer to send a strat through something warmer like a Marshall or boogie.

That said, not many peaple here have access to your kind of gear (Most of us here play Solid State Amps) but for whatever its worth, Post your amp settings and maybe someone can help

When you say Indian music are you trying to emulate a sitar or are you just playing Indian melodies?

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

Ok, I know what you are talking about. There are several factors that lead to the problem you are having:
    1. Strat + Blues deluxe amp
    2. compressor
    3. using a computer to record

now i cannot address 1, tallkien might be of more help there.
    but for 2: i've never used a keeley compressor, but im guessing that there is some sort of compressor ratio value and gain value. Make sure that both are not too high. very high compression ratios make it sounds really bad on clean.

for 3. you might want to consider a good sound card (one specially for recording) you can get a good one for 3-4k. It will give u a really good response and will get rid of a lot of recording flaws. Normal sound card inputs really don't meet even most amateur recording needs.