Guitar action problem !

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Guitarnewb101, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

Hi guyz, this is my third post here.
    This one is related to my old acoustic guitar. I got really cheap (less than Rs 1800 a year ago).

Anyway, I have been playing on it since. But it seems that i cant improve much on it. Maybe it's the action, which is too high.
    Thats my belief ryt now.

Please look at these photos and comment -

Attached Files:

2. vendettarevived

vendettarevived New Member

Dude! The last picture. That is some INTENSE action!

3. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

So u're saying it's too high towards it's body (the end of the fretboard)?

4. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

Man, can't anybody help me out here??

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Perhaps it requires a truss rod adjustment ...
    Its summer time - the dryness in the air - screws the wood
    (same way as excess moisture does)

6. Guitarnewb101

Guitarnewb101 New Member

Guyz, I sanded the saddle of my acoustic, but that didnt help much with the action. Instead the sound has reduced and the 4th string sounds a little strange. Any suggestions? Can I get a new saddle? Is it cheap? thx.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Did you adjust the truss rod?
    First get that done.

8. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Sanding a saddle shud have been 2nd option...As correctly mentioned by alpha..adjust the truss rod first...

saddles are cheap. around 200 - 400/-

9. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I would suggest taking it to a knowledgeable luthier if dont know much about guitar repairing. What you did with the bridge was okay easy to fix, but adjust the truss rod carefully not rotating it more than 1/4 of a turn at a time. The truss rod should rotate smoothly dont force it if it doesnt rotate instead take it to a luthier. Also adjusting and acoustic is unlike and electric in which action can be changed on will. Sanding the bridge on acoustic is anyway not a good idea.

But if you will really ask me you should not waste that much time and effort on this guitar, buy a new one because the condition of the guitar is pathetic. It will only hinder your learning.

10. cooldesert

cooldesert New Member

The action is way too high. I would recommend take it to a luthier, only if you have paid high for the guitar else go for a new one. I believe, adjusting the truss rod may not help much here. You need to adjust the bridge (sand paper with correct measurements, numerous videos available on youtube, but don't try if you don't know much about it) and if required, some people use a hammer and chisel to remove layers of wood below the bridge. The problem is, while visiting many stores in hyderabad, I've observed many people buying guitar and not checking the action, while the seller is only interested in business.

11. akshay.p

akshay.p New Member

I believe you can get replacement nuts and bridges. I don't know how much they cost but that is one way of reducing your action. I say this because if you bought the guitar for only 1800 then chances are your guitar doesn't have a truss rod. I had one guitar which didn't. Also you can buy heavier strings... but I wouldn't recommend very good strings with a bad guitar. There's a good chance they'll rip your guitar's top open. If you have 4k then you might want to look at some new guitars.

Hope this helps