Guide: Windows Xp Home / Pro Sp2 Visual Theme Hack

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by zoomingrocket, Sep 16, 2005.

1. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

DISCLAIMER: Follow this guide at your OWN risk! This may render your system unbootable or permanently damaged.

This procedure involves replacing your existing Windows Visual Theme DLL file(uxtheme.dll) to its hacked version so that it can allow NON-SIGNED Visual Themes i.e. Not Officially distributed by Microsoft.

Before we proceed further... do a system check!
    No SHELL Replacement Programs like WindowBlinds or Talisman
    No previous attempts to hack the Visual Theme DLL

Browse to %Systemroot%\WINDOWS\System32\
    Find uxtheme.dll file and right click>Properties>Version Tab
    The File version should be: 6.0.2900.2180 (Check Screenshot: 1.JPG)

If you dont have this File Version listed for your uxtheme.dll file, then please stop here and do not follow this guide further as it would be unfit for your system.

BACKUP: Now make a folder somewhere and copy your current uxtheme.dll file, just incase you want to have some chances of recovering a failed hack! ;)

Downloads
    Once its confirmed that your system is ready for the hack, download a very small program called 'Replacer' from the given URL.
    Replacer is fav program of many system hacker as it allows you to replace a DLL file while your WINDOWS is UP and RUNNING!
    Generally, you cant replace a System's DLL when your WINDOWS System is ON!
    So get the REPLACER(10KB)! https://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/Replacer.zip

Another file that you need is the hacked version of original uxtheme.dll(112KB) file!
    Get that from: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=122794

After downloading this file, unzip and do the same 'File Version' check as we did for the original uxtheme.dll

STEPS
    Ok.. now all set, lets began to replace the DLL File!
    1) Unzip REPLACER
    Double Click: Replacer.cmd file
    (NOTE: Those using Microsoft Antispyware BETA, may get a popup asking permission for running the script...
    Please select 'ALLOW')
    At IDLE Stage, your Replacer.cmd looks like in screenshot: 2.JPG

2)Now as the screen text says.. you have to DRAG your ORIGINAL theme file to the Replacer Window! (i.e. Drag your uxtheme.dll file from %Systemroot%\WINDOWS\System32\)
    When you do this, the Replacer Window would show the path to that file! (Check screenshot: 3.JPG)
    Now press ENTER

3)The next window would ask you to drag the replacement uxtheme.dll file, i.e. the hacked dll file which you downloaded! (Check: Screenshot: 4.JPG)
    Drag that from the place where you UNZIPPED the file..as earlier it would again show you the path from where you dragged! (Check: Screenshot: 5.JPG)
    Now press ENTER

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      23.8 KB
      Views:
    rizaaj and death_metal_fan like this.
  2. zoomingrocket

4)It would show you both the paths of Original & Replacement File and ask whether to Continue replacement or not? (y/n) (Check Screenshot: 6.JPG)
    Generally, if you followed my earlier steps without any error.. you can blindly type 'y' and press ENTER
    As soon as you confirm, it would start the process of REPLACEMENT and it would say:
    Code:
    * uxtheme.dll
    -Copying to ServicePackFiles...
    -Replacing system file...

Complete. Reboot to see changes.
    Press any key to quit.

(Check Screenshot: 7.JPG)

5)Now as it says, "press any key to quit", that Replacer Program and Manually RESTART the system and logon!
    If you are able to Login or rather see your DESKTOP then you have done everything correctly!

6)Its time for adding VISUAL THEMES to your system now!
    My two favs are:
    Windows Vista(1,519KB): https://www.deviantart.com/view/22150948/
    Fedora Core(Blue_Curve_4.3)(188KB): https://www.deviantart.com/deviation/4279121/

Uncompress the file and copy the Folder containing "Windows Visual Style File" type to:
    %Systemroot%\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\
    i.e. for example, if you have going for the Windows Vista, there is a folder named "Vista", copy that entire folder to Themes folder or if you have got the Blue Curve(Fedora Look), copy the folder 'Bluecurve 4' & 'Thincurve 4' to the Themes directory
    Now, its the time to DISCO :grin:

7)Reach the APPEARANCE Tab...from where you used to shuffle for Windows Classic or Windows XP Look...
    There you would find Vista Listed, select it and Press APPLY! (Check Screenshot: 8.JPG)
    Now, for the first time, that Please Wait would take quite a time to GO.. dont PANIC!
    But in subsequent apply of any other new theme would be FASTER!

8)So thats the way to go...
    Now any new Visual Themes you download, are to be unzipped, and the respective folder to be copied to the Themes folder and its done!

Visual Themes Repository:
    https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=36
    https://www.deviantart.com/

NOtes: %Systemroot% corresponds to the Partition where your Windows XP is installed! e.g.(C:\ or D:\ ...)

DISCLAIMER:
    Once again, i am warning you... if you dont know how to recover from a system crash or your PC is under warranty, dont go for this procedure!

Enjoy!
    REgards,
    Zooom..!!

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
    DrSaurabh and (deleted member) like this.
  3. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Thanks a LOT!!:rockon:..ZOOM u rule..;)
    But I already cracked the uxtheme.dll file wid some third party software..:eek::
    But, I'll surely keep this thing handy.:)
    REps to you....;)

ChilLzzz!!:cool:nIK!!

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

5. nik_bokacheley

^^lolz..I did that..;)DMF

6. zoomingrocket

Its already mentioned on there site that many times it fails... and i read lots of complain of failed patching of the uxtheme.dll using that Multipatcher!

As such i dont like WIZARD's for every process... it instill's laziness in the user's mind!
    Doing manual hacks gives you the insight of what's happening in the background and you enjoy each step :)

Thus, the Manual Process...where every step is under our control :cool:

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

7. nik_bokacheley

:eek::..Cud not giv u reps @ ZOOM..!! But, you'll receive it soon..as when i am allowed to rep u..:)

8. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Amazing Zoom, very comprehensive! Reps for you!

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

tried it and it looks amazing.........and flawless too.............
    simple enuf....and the change in the look is totally worth it........
    reps to you.......

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ZOOM ...

gr8 dude ... Vists thingy looks cooooooollll ....

nice man ,..

11. heya tried it!! ROXXX

thx z0o0o0o0o0o0o0mmm!!!

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey zoom !!!

i tried it on my office PC ... wchich is SP1 ... that means it has diff version of uxthemes.dll
    and i dunno y but the replacer software is not able to replace the dll...

anyway next am gonna boot from DOS and try to repace manually ...

secondthing curretnly (on th esame SP1 machinE) am gettign only the coloring and fonts of Vista ... but not the buttons and controls ... ?

i followed the procedure ...

anyway i will once agin try with DOS mode ...

13. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah same here .. iam only gettin the fonts and colours ..no buttons and icons ..
    i am on SP2 b.t.w

14. shak

shak Harrr!

oh got it!
    you have to download and install the shell pack from the crystalxp website to get the icons and other goodies...

15. zoomingrocket

Did you read that guide???
    Tell me!
    It says.. system should be XP Service Pack 2 and you are trying on XP SP1??? :shock: :shock:

@shahrukh: Yes, this hack allows you to load multiple visual styles, like themes in Windows 98...
    Changing Icons and stuff would increase the load on OS... but they can be definitely added as an extra addon.

REgards,
    Zooom...!!

16. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah
    but office ka PC to chalta hai ...
    i can do all experminetaion ...
    anyway it looks cool ... kinda hybrid between Vista and Windows Classic .. :grin: