Gt8 or different pedals

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by vbpart4, Feb 19, 2007.

1. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Buy a wah, and you can do simple mods yourself. A few resistor changes supposedly improve the sweep and sound. Also, true bypass mod shouldnt be too tough. Later you can swap the inductor too. I have heard good things about the Vox 847.

If you are buying from abroad, do not limit yourself the Tubescreamer. There are thousands of similar pedals at better price and better features.

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Dude.....This is a lame answer.........It's like saying.......Buying pedals is useless, unless you plug them along with your guitar.....Or getting a guitar is useless unless you want to play it..........

3. DagMX

DagMX New Member

umm..no...
    do you want to take a laptop with you to every gig? do you want to have to deal with any latency/crashes that happen on the laptop?

and your analogy sucks. its not the same. for two reasons: one, the guitar rig hardware is useless without the laptop and two, there are uses for pedals apart from using aguitar and people do buy guitars without playing them(case in point, leo fender and a bunch of collectors)

don't call my reply lame if your argument itself is terrible. I'm not saying guitar rig is a bad idea, but its deffinitely not suitable for live use. I don't want to be halfwaye through a song and have the sytem crash on me. And i don't want latency issues.
    I also dont want my system to get stolen wile I'm gigging and I deffinitely don't want to carry around even more hardware.

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

ur GT8 system can also crash....

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

DagMX, the only valid point I can see in your argument is latency issue.

Oh, but no one here has dwelt upon the ease of operations of pedals/processor here.

On a laptop how would you change teh signal chain? (Mebbe by using some MIDI device etc ...)
    On stomp boxes you just stomp and it is turned off/on.

6. DagMX

DagMX New Member

very true, but the chances are lower. Reliabilty is one of the things I need when performing live and I don't want my laptop overheating and BSoDing on me or crashing in any other form.

and @alpha1
    i do also think the need to carry another piece of equipment(ie the laptop) is a very important issue since I(and I'm guessing quite a few other people), prefer to go as light as possible to a gig.

however for studio use, I would really like to use guitar rig. But IMO live, there are just to many problems related to the use of the laptop to justify using it. My points may not seem valid to some people, but its how you look at them. To me they are the reasons I never bought guitar rig despite the good reviews.

also guitar rig is a hadware+software solution so no need for the midi controller, the software lets you assign anything to the buttons on the bundled hardware controller. Essentially its like the GT-8(where you can assign things to any of the buttons) but requires a computer to process it.

7. ronnieanand

Your whole arguement now says that you have no clues about the Music Industry :beer: :beer: ....

There are tons of Electronica Rock Bands like Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails and lots more use Computers Live for lot of layering and stuffs. Forget Electronica Bands, there are tons of Rock Bands doing it. Think Pink Floyd without Computers in their Live Shows. And now you talk about worrying about crashes. Things like Internet Banking or Online Stock Trading are done where stability is more important than Computer Failing in a Gig.
    My analogies were not at all lame. It just went beyond what you could understand...

8. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

hey guys sorry for a noobish question but what exactly is guitar rig?

9. ronnieanand

Think of your Laptop as your Rack based effects. You will get your Midi Footboard where you can manipulate your effects and patches. Latency is not an issue unless you decide to carry a 486 Laptop. There are tons of software products now are available with Footpedals. Get a good sound card, install the software and use the Footpedals. It's not something groundbreaking we are discussing. We are discussing something that;s been happening for a long time.

Think of the processor also as a specialized computer doing a dumb job. Only Analog in pure Signal In, Signal Out. Anything Digital you take, has to go through A/D and algorithms and D/A on it. So if latency is an issue with the computers, then latency is an issue with the Processors too. Ofcourse dont run an Anti Virus Scan when you playing....

10. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

kk thnxx.. i ve never used a processor just my acoustic.... will definatly try this when il;l get my new electric!!

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Rammstien layers most of their songs with 12 tracks i heard somewhere on the forums! thats pretty impressive eh

12. DagMX

DagMX New Member

i understand what your saying. but lets put it in terms you understand. they use top of the line computers that are setup for that kind of use or have been optimized somewhat. They'll have something as a backup. they'll have a tachnician on the side if something goes wrong.

I'm not pink floyd. I'm not nine inch nails. I don't have access to those kind of facilities. If i get a laptop it'll ahve to be a cheap one. Hence the processor wont be able to handle much at a time. Given i get a system thats able to handle that kind of load on my limited budget, I won't have something as a backup. I won't have anyone to help out. Ad in the middle of a live performance, if something goes wrong, I'll be too pissed myself to fix it.

As for banks etc...again, they arent just running on one system. They have a server. they have a backup server. their systems cost a shitload of money.

Dont underestimate me. I understand all this. Your talking on a more general terms in an ideal situation. I'm taking worst case scenario which is something I can't afford

13. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Again your underestimating me and dumbin it down. Latency will always be an issue. Maybe not a big one(depending on how your set up), but it will always be there.

And I come back to the point of money. Good Laptop+Decent external soundcard+guitar rig. Thats more than one would spend on the individual effects etc... alone.

And as for comuter processors vs MFX processors, are you saying a General Purpose CPU can be used in a real time input-to-output situation and is comparable to a specific function processor?
    Latency on a computer is due in part to many factors: Bus width, quality of data, operating system overhead, individual software overhead, input hardware latency, processor power, etc...
    On an MFX, you've eliminated practically all of those. Yes latency wll still be there in any system. But it will be minimalized to the point that its not noticable.

This argument could keep going on, but as I see it your point is that it can be used for live gigs and it had been. My point on the other hand is that its not feasible for the majority of the guitar playing population.

I'm just 16 and I have nowehere near the funds to buy a laptop, buy the input hardware, buy the software and hardware etc... and I really dont have the patience to maintain it live, but I can get the GT-8 or another MFX and add pedals later on.

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

why would u want to add pedals later on if you think they arent as good as processors? instead why not just buy a low end good processor like a KORG AX series and just add pedals? why the GT8?

15. DagMX

DagMX New Member

Guitar Rig is a hardware+software method to simulate amplifiers and effects using your computer and the included hardware pedal.

The pedal itself is pretty much just a midi controller with 8 buttons(i think if i remember correctly) and an expression pedal so you can change preset effects and input your guitars signal easily into the software running on your pc.

Everything else is done on the PC itself.

16. DagMX

DagMX New Member

well to be fair, i havent said processors were better. (hehe, on msn, i did admit that the sound quality of the pedals is better). I'm just saying that the processor is more convenient for live and home use as well as for studio use.

The reason I say the GT-8 is a better buy over the lower series of MFXs s that it supports dual amp chnnels which is a big pay off in many ways(easy to layer sounds, or mix and match), the picking dynamics(I can move around stage without having to come back to change effects) and it supports an external effects loop.

The external effects loop in itself is very important since you could set up some effects in the GT-8. Output it to a digitech whammy(just as an example), use any other effects that aren't in the gt-8 and then send it back into the GT-8 for any furthur settings before sending it out to the amp/monitors/pa.

Also the GT-8 has XLR outputs and can also control your amp channels so you can use your amps preamp with the effects in the gt-8 while also changing the amps channel simultaneously.

Also I love the idea of the GT-8 assigns. Bing able to set anything to any of the buttons/pedal is a great boon.

17. ronnieanand

GT8 is feature rich but sounds crap......For that money you can get a simple distortion and delay pedal that will rock.....I dont know about the GT8 FX Loop but GT6 FX Loop is crap. It colours the tone so much that it defeats the purpose of using an FX Loop. I have seen the picking dynamics...It's pretty artificial...The feedbacker is good and also the synth....Still so much money on it is a waste...It's good for about $200, not more than that....

18. ronnieanand

I have had a laptop for 3 years and I have been using PCs for a long time. It surely is reasonably stable. A decent configuration laptop and a soundcard can do a lot more wonders. You can keep upgrading your effects with better tones and modellings just by upgrading the software. Processor are so digital sounding whereas these Software Models are pretty amazin comparable to real pedals. I am not underestimating you. But you are comfortably altering the topic to suit your arguement :beer: . First you said Laptops are not possible, now you have altered it to not feasible and if I take this arguement a bit further, you might end up saying not preferable and then to not liking...

19. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

@ Ronnie : I'm just looking to slowly build a respectable rig, thats convenient on stage, and provides decent tones for recording. I really want to buy the Bad Horsie wah, but it seems to be really expensive here. Know anywhere I can get a Fatal Tube + Morley wah for around 12-13 k?

@ Nebu : I've done my fair bit of tinkering around with Pedals. Had managed to build mediocre sounding boost pedal a while ago, before I lost interest there. (Was just a cascaded transistor circuit) Couldn't get too much boost, fell a li'l short of making any significant difference to the sound.

@ DagMx : I'm pretty sure I can set up an under 50k laptop to run Guitar Rig 2 on stage with a midi pedal without any latency issues. Also guarantee stability.

Although in defense of the GT-8. A friend of mine owns one, and I'm the one who sets patches for him (he hates spending time fiddling with stuff when he can be playing), and I can say that we've got some pretty kick ass sounds out of it, coupled with an RG2550E. Maybe not worth the 22k, but for 15-16k, I'd definitely buy it.

20. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Speaking of processors in that range, Laney, where's the G7.1ut review and clips? You've had it long enough now, so get on with it.