GT2 Vs Fatal Tube

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Life_Sans_Death, Aug 16, 2007.

?

Which One?

1. Sansamp GT2

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. AMT Fatal Tube

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

2. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Both are pretty different. The GT-2 is more versatile and has a lot more gain. What sort of tone are u looking for? See if u can stretch ur budget a bit and get the Sansamp classic. MUCH better than the GT-2 or TriAC.

3. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

budget stretch not possible. BTW, I am inclined to the fatal tube

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Rhetoric....

5. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Hmm.. Once again, what sort of tone are u looking for?

BTW, Y do u need either of these? U have a boogie right?

6. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i like the fatal tube more... it just depends on wat tone ur looking for..

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

DC: I think there are several ppl using the user ID

So one has Orange TT, one has Mesa Boogie, and other one is still hunting around for pedals.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Life sans, if you are planning to send the out from these pedals inot your amp, ...

It'll sound like a fuzz. A mushy, muddy fuzz.

9. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I want to buy it for my bro. He's got a crappy Laney LX 35R. It has good cleans, but a crap ass distortion. I am content with my stuff. We talk regularly, thats why I am posting here.

10. Double Click

Double Click New Member

WHAT SORT OF TONE ARE U LOOKING FOR??????

Both of them will sound shitty through a Laney. These pedals are meant to be used through full range speakers.

I've played the GT-2 and own a Fatal Tube and my vote goes to the GT-2. Its more versatile, has oodles of gain available, and the Plexi sim is spot on.

However, neither pedal is meant for metal..

11. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Not for metal?

Elaborate?

12. Double Click

Double Click New Member

If u wanna play metal, go buy a Line6 Uber Metal. The sansamp's and FT's forte is rock.

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Acutally, I believe for death metal, the tone should have oodles of 1000-2000Hz midrange.

However the honky 500-1000Hz should be minimized..
    The the pre overdrive EQ should cut down the bass frequencies in a metal pedal, so that the distortion is really tight and sounds chunky in the lower mids.

Unfortuantely all these all-purpose distortion pedals have midrange setup near 600Hz, but they are pretty weak in the 1000Hz+ midrange. That means for metal if you scoop the mids, your tone would be really thin. And if you try to increase the mids, it will start sounding honky - perfect for Classic Southern Rock, but not death metal.

Thats my definitiion of metal pedal/non-metal pedal.

Dunno if DC has similar sort of definition.

IMO, if you check the AMT Metallizer pedal that I have, and compare it to other distortion pedals, you will realize what I am saying.

Ah infact I can give you the soundclick example of what I am saying:
    Classic voiced trying to do some heavy metal: https://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=404167&songID=4813898

Metal voiced trying to do the same heavy metal: https://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=404167&songID=4813910

14. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I am not looking for a death metal tone. My definition of metal would be the Zakk Wylde and Metallica tone at most. He does not play anything of the death metal or else genre. I am even considering the California series pedal. Any clips of that?

Its mostly blues to hard rock with some chugging metal thrown in

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

@ alpha - I know what u mean. Most stompboxes meant for metal take this into account and cut the honky mids out while retaining the higher mids. This lets u get that heavy tone without sounding honky or thin (depending on ur eq)

Neither the Sansamp or the FT are voiced with this in mind. So while the have the gain required for metal, the inherent voicing will make it sound more like rock.

The uber metal is really a pretty good all purpose metal pedal. U cant really go wrong with one of those.

16. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

@Alpha: Can the metallizer do classic rock? I mean not definition wise

17. Double Click

Double Click New Member

DONT BUY THE CALI SOUND!!! Its decent for leads, but the rythm tones sound waaay too muddy... Its ok for power chords, but thats about all its good for.. Its also a lil bit noisy.

If ur looking for classic tones, the Sansamps are great. The plexi sim is great for rock and blues rock... The tweed channel is also good for blues.

18. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I am looking into the metal muff

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

No way!

Its a metchul pedal.

20. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

hey alpha , DC told me that the AMTs dun sound good through guitar amps. True?