Got Shocked when playing guitar

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. lord_neo

    lord_neo Guest

    I was at my friends place to check out his new kool guitar. He was out of the room when i thought of trying it out as i couldnt resist the shiny new guitar anymore. I put it on and as there was no pick around i tried to strum it with my fingers and got an electric whole right hand went numb and it still feels kind of funny and sore.

    Lesson: Electric guitars can shock you badly when plugged into an amp. You should never use an electric guitar in the rain or in a wet place and never ever attempt to play it barefoot! :shock:
  2. shak

    shak Harrr!

    plug your amp in an earthed socket...and save yourself the misery :)
  3. bob-bobby

    bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

    juss reading it , shook me up :shock:
  4. nebuchadnezzar

    nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

    u said it Bob....... :shock: :shock:
    Now ppl wont be laughing at that movie where sum1 gets a shock from the guitar:p:(i think this came up in some forum)....
  5. tejas

    tejas ..........

    Yeah, i get tiny shocks all the time. But nothing serious. And yeah...remember how Mithun's ma dies. Never laugh at it now.
  6. ananth222

    ananth222 Beginner

    I don't think thats an electric shock
    It must be static shock. happens when u touch metal in cold weather
  7. 6String_assasin

    6String_assasin The Painkiller

    i'm nice to my axe, so is it to me! :p:
  8. ^^^ use earthed sockets neo that a real safety measure well was planning to buy my electric one this month this news made me ponder more if i should buy it!!!!!!!!!!!
    @annath perhaps u r right i also at times get this static shock whem i touch certaim objects
    @tejas yeah i remember that movie was it disco dancer nah forgot name it was the heroine's dad who was mithoun's rtival who palanned to kill him like that but ...... typical hindi film story
    neo who planned to kill u?????
  9. d_ist_urb_ed

    d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

    @Lord, My Lord(not a pun) Hope you're doing well.
    My guitar never shocked me thankfully:)
  10. fictional_real

    fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

    wow....! sounds nasty!! so....i believe i shud now along wid good tone, setup and action in guitar shud also look out 4 ISI mark sign on it! :p:
  11. d_ist_urb_ed

    d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

    ^We dont want ya dead, so do that:p:
  12. shak

    shak Harrr!

    LOL!!!...well technically everytime you strum a string of guitar you produce an electric cant escape that...cuz when an electric conductor oscillates/vibrates/moves in a magnetic field or in other words cuts the magnetic flux..a current is induced in it...but it is so small that it is hardly noticeable and also the bridge of the guitar is often earthed so the current is the culprit for electric shock is not the guitar its always the instead of checking the isi marks on guitars..conc. on amps :)
  13. Sanjay Mazumder

    Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

    I don't have an electric guitar.

    @annanth222, I don't know why U are always after static
  14. Bandbaaja

    Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

    there are earthing problems in a lot many places in india.
    we do shows on the outskirts of mumbai sometimes.
    i always get a few light electric shocks.
    sometimes they are nasty, and your hand goes numb for a while.

    this has stopped after i bought myself a neat SAMSON cordless unit.
  15. Hardik

    Hardik .:.:.:BoRn TaLenT:.:.:.

    i got an acoustic....but plannig to buy an electric soon...
    will keep this in mind....
  16. JAZZ

    JAZZ New Member

    Lesson ; Always wear gloves while playing elec. guitar
  17. Sanjay Mazumder

    Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

    Gloves ??????
  18. Bandbaaja

    Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

    LOL GLOVES????
    you'll look like michael jackson!!!!
    what gloves???
    rubber?? like surgical gloves?
    or cotton?? like cricket inners?
    or woollen?? static shocks pakka here!!!

    boss??? have you tried playing with gloves on??
    maha irritating!!!
    I actually tried it once when we were in Jammu. Faadu thandi!!!
    but couldn't get accustomed to it. Ultimately threw it away!!!

  19. bob-bobby

    bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

    its not possible to play a guitar with a gloves , i am sure many would prefer SHOCKS to GLOVES ;)
  20. guitarplayer729

    guitarplayer729 New Member

    i too suffered a shock
    since that day i always keep my amp plugged in just 1 socket

Share This Page