Google buys Video Sharing Site YouTube for $1.65 billion

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Oct 10, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Google has announced a 1.65 billion dollar stock deal to buy video-sharing website YouTube.

"The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that complements Google's mission to organise the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful," Google chief executive Eric Schmidt said in a statement Monday.

"Together, we are natural partners to offer a compelling media entertainment service to users, content owners and advertisers," he said.

YouTube soared to online popularity after its launch in February 2005. The company claims that more than 100 million videos are watched daily by visitors to the free website, which features content provided by users.

"Our community has played a vital role in changing the way that people consume media, creating a new clip culture," said YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley.

"By joining forces with Google, we can benefit from its global reach and technology leadership to deliver a more comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new opportunities for our partners."

YouTube would continue to operate independently from its headquarters in San Bruno, California, after the acquisition is complete, according to Google. All of YouTube's 65 employees were to remain with the company.

In unofficial Silicon Valley tradition, YouTube was launched on its meteoric rise from a garage. It announced a first round of funding of 3.5 million dollars from Sequoia Capital in November of last year.

2. cronix

cronix New Member

So much for the competition between google video and youtube. Trust google to do something like this. Clearly google hates to lose.

Google rocks. Cheers. :beer:

3. where's the source link?

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

ummm, so what's diff now?

5. This is actually very bad news.

You Tube was a enormous source of rich uncensorred information.
    There was some fantastic stuff which the US Gov is deeply annoyed and embarrased about releasing to the public at large.

Google on the other hand has long been accused of towing the line for the american adminstration and being pro Zionist.

Could this be politcally motivated, because Google video would never reach You Tube's popularity?

Anyway I anticipate there will now be censorship of anti US/Israel video clips

6. sam_sealion

sam_sealion MeLoDiC ShReDDeR. . .

there will definately be heavy censorship now that google is in charge..

however i hope the editing is done on the clips that really need it.. i read in the papers today that there are vids on youtube showing human post-mortems or men being eaten by crocs!!! that really needs to be stopped..

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If I remember correctly [edit: yeah I WAS correct], there was one link you posted, that was about 9/11 conspiracy theory.
    The Video was on google video.

There goes your theory on censorship.

[EDIT]: www.indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=24822
    www.indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=22463

See for yourself.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

2nd thing: mergers & acquisitions are part n parcel of corporate life style nowadays.

Especially in IT.

You either acquire or get acquired - is how I would put the scenario at.

9. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Atleast, from now on, those "anti youtube"s will stop fighting..

10. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Why should they have anything more than an age limit?

The fact that they had this video (or this ) was actually good news for my presentation lately. There's no real reason that it should be censored completely. I would agree with an age limit restriction but i dont know how successfull they would be on the internet.

11. sam_sealion

having an age-limit on the internet is not efective at all..

i mentioned censorship on those kinda vids coz i read an article which brought to light the long-term effects of watching these vids on the emotional part of our brains.. the human brain is so adaptable that if videos and pictures of say people being shot are constantly showed to it, the brain then tends to get desensitized to the act after a while.. now im not saying we go around watching these vids just for the heck of it but some may watch them as they are availiable..
    although there are many other sites featuring these videos, at least google can do something to censor such stuff as it reaches more number of people..

if not total censorship then at least the kind of censorship that is used for nudity can be employed..

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Ummm, can you actually put down hard n fast guidelines or clear cut rules for such a censorship?

Besides, how can you decide (and more important - WHY SHOULD YOU DECIDE) what others want to see?

13. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Exactly my point. Its just like banning slayer albums from being sold.

14. shak

shak Harrr!

another one bites dust ...

good e-buisness strategy: .. have a good idea? put it on web .. pray that you get masses .. then wait for google to buy you out ..

15. sam_sealion

dude first of all.. im not making any decision nor am i putting down any rules.. the only thing im putting forth is my view..

why do u think is nudity banned on youtube.. are they making any difference by banning the nudity?? there loads of **** anyways availiable on the net.. its just that they wanna keep the vids safe and clean.. thats the ONLY reason why i mentioned censorship.. theres no shortage of vids showing people getting mauled by animals and stuff on the net.. its about keeping the visit to the site a pleasant experience..

again its just my view...

this is from the terms of service from youtube...

"YouTube doesn't allow videos with nudity, graphic violence or hate. If you come across a video like this, click the link on the video to flag it as Inappropriate and submit the form on the next page to report it to YouTube"

"In connection with User Submissions, you further agree that you will not: submit material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, ****ographic, harassing, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, violate any law, or is otherwise inappropriate."

so u see the rules have already been laid...

16. jozko

jozko Banned

^ Very well said Sam.
    Even IGT Admin removes p**n content/ads posted here. Some start baseless args, just ignore em

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

sealion dude, you circumvented my question entirely.

Giving instances of real occurances does not justify the phenomena.

What I asked you was: about you, you gave me an instance of youtube censoring.