good value for money processor ????

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by richa_chopra, Jul 19, 2008.

1. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

hey guys , once again i need to consult the experts ..
    i am geettn foll processors :----------

1] digitech rp 90 -rs 5k,
    2] korg ax5g -----4.7k
    3] zoom g2.1u ----7 k
    4] korg ax 10g for 7.2 k

i am looking mainly for good clear tones and few basic distorted tones . i have a 10 w hartke amp .

pls guide me . also is it advisable to go in for a cheap processor initially and then go in for a very good one or start with smthin like zoom g2.1u .which would go a long way ........

also after comparing the features , i found that rp 90 and zoom g2.1u both have same sound effects . but does their quality differ ??????

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Yes more or less you will get similar sound effects ( please try to understand what I am saying here) with any proccesor.. they do cover the basic distortions, flangers, phasers, wahs, delays ext etx. quality yes differs which is better is diff to say.
    IF you looking for Clean tones mainly. and few distorted tones consider pedals instaed. A Bad Monkey and a Distotion pedal. For exampl a nice overdrive pedal will beat the overdrive setting of a processor any day.

3. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

Start with a cheaper pedal like the RP 90 or the Zoom G2, i suppose you wont need the expression pedal for now. get a good hang of everything and in future you can upgrade to either pedals or better inline processors.
    this is more reasonable. trust me even G2.1U is not great in the future when you will go on stage live its too digitized hope you get my point.So use this for now get a lot of practice play a few shows and then may in a couple of years you can get a better one.hope this helps

4. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

actually i would never have to do any stage shows . i am a medicine student ...

but i just love playnn around with expreesion pedal ... so which one , rp 90 or g2.1u????

5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I must say I hardly ever do any stage stuff. I have a processor I want to sell why because I find no use for it. i bought it thinking it would be cool to have an expression pedal and wah .I love WAHs. But I found out I was fidgiting around more and fooling around more getting crazy rather than Actualy Playing the guitar. When I bought the BAD MONKEY it totaly Pawned the Over drive tones from any procesor I have heard so far. and The bad monkey cost peanuts. I still say go for a pedal, get them gradually you will love them more.

6. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

all the processors at this price range will sound very "digital"...try to fish around for a used 1500g ..you should be able to get them for like 8k..it pawns everything u listed...the only problem with it is the poor sweep range of the wah...

7. Wildchild_Sam

Wildchild_Sam New Member

Digitech RP90 is 5.9-6k ,right? It isn't 5k :(

8. richa_chopra

richa_chopra New Member

my dealer gives me a 15% disc ....

hey guys hw about g2.1u for 5k ,,2nd hand ?????
    i dont want to go for korg as it does not have drum beats ....

9. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

As jocelyn has already said, quality individual pedals beat the crap out of any multi-effects any day.
    That said, G2.1u for 5k is a steal. However, make sure the processor sounds good to you. It doesn't to me. To me it sounds digital, like Satriani's tone. Mind you, I love that guy's skills, I just don't like his tone. There's no room for expression with a tone as flat and digital as that. Guess satch never believed in "tube-breakup" :)

10. getshorty80

getshorty80 New Member

dont bother you could buy any off em, know wat you dont have to be playing live to enjoy a tone of the guitar sound but in future you will be looking at it like crazy. Now who said Medicine student should not be playing guitar or playing live?
    Anyways go for the cheaper one and fiddle around with it for how long you consider to then go through sellin it or keeping it as a tuner or something.you could give it to someone too. upto you hope this helps.

dont bother about individual pedals now its too much hassel for you now

11. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

satriani tone isnt digital...he uses analog effects and "tube breakup"..he used marshall amp in his earlier albums i think he endorses some kind of peavey amp now....

Theres nothing digital in his tone..well in his distortion anyway..
    Its unlikely you would have heard anything digital form any international guitarist..and even if you did you probably wont recognize it..
    check out this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjbaaKOwJ9A
    you would probably find the digital tone of marty better than satriani's "tube breakup"

12. thepacifist2013

I'll have to agree with you. Maybe all I heard of Satch was some shitty 24kbps mp3s :)
    but seriously, I think you'll understand my preference and opinion when you listen to the tonal difference between
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjNAeELQ_Z8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtm66Z3lebc
    I think you'll see what I mean by achieving tube-breakup, and leaving tube-breakup as a point on the horizon.

No doubt though, Satch is always fun to listen :) And I'm not making this statement to pacify the Satch-lovers here. It's just that I don;t prefer his tone. I like slightly less distorted, just-clipped overdrive sounds that are famous mainly in Blues.

13. thepacifist2013

14. ash.guitars

ash.guitars New Member

g2.1u is good buy for 5k...go for it..as it has usb port which can be hooked up with laptop/PC and use as a soundcard also.+ there are 40 different drum patterns which are very useful for jamming, learning and imporvising...
    BUT REMEMBER ZOOM DOESNT HAVE ANY SERVICE SUPPORT FOR THIER PRODUCTS...THERE IS NO OFFICIAL SERVICE CENTER FOR ZOOM PRODCUTS