Good Old Days.......

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rizaaj, Jan 21, 2006.

1. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

Good old days.......

Go back in time....

Before the Internet, VCD and DVD. Before semi-automatics machine guns, joyriders and crack ....

Before SEGA or Super Nintendo or Video Games...

Way back....

I'm talking about Hide and seek (Chhupan Chhupaee) in the park or on streets. The corner shop, Butter Scotch Candy, Mitchells Milk Toffee, Jubilee, football with an old can, jumping in enormous puddles, Building dams.

The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass. Mayfair bubble gum. A POLKA ice cream pop cone on a warm summer night,

Wait......Watching Weekday 5pm evening or Saturday Morning cartoons... short commercials, The Tom and Jerry, He-Man, Captain Caveman, Waltron, Walligator, Danger Mouse and Pink Panther.

Staying up late for Night Rider, Air Wolf or Power of Methew Star.

Watching nice Urdu Plays like Ankahi, Tanhaiyaan, Sunehray Din, Aangan Tera.

When around the corner seemed far away, and going into down town or Liberty Market seemed like going somewhere. A million mosquito bites, wasp and bee stings.

Sticky fingers.
    Walking to school, no matter what the weather.

Running till you were out of breath. Ringing doorbells for no reason. The old ill-kept house down the street being haunted.

Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Climbing trees, building igloos Ice Lolies out of tiny amounts of snow. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for the giggles.

Being tired from playing...

Remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. or your mom showing up at school to pick u up and kissing u infront of your friends.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.

I'm not finished just yet...

Remember when...
    You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents!

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

You didn't sleep a wink on Eid Chaand Raat.

When 100 Rs. was decent pocket money.

When you'd get both a coke and a slims for 5 Rs.

When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there from School.

When dad was better than superman!

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at real restaurant with your parents.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!

And some of us are still afraid of them!!!
    Didn't that feel good?

Just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that!
    Remember when....

Decisions were made by going "eeny- meeny-miney-mo."

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".

The worst thing you could catch from other person was germs, and the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to opposite ***.

Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult.

Nobody was prettier than your Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.

Ice cream was considered a basic food group.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dare".

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors. When did life become SO complicated!!! wahetever happened to times when having rubbers and pencils made us feel rich!

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!

got this in a mail forward.. so dont jump on me

#iR@ and zing like this.
  2. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

uuhhh question...

ARE ANY OF US um QUALIFIED FOR THAT PERIOD??? :eek::

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

yeah..many of us havent xp these things!...

wish i had such memories too...reps to rizaaj for pasting :)

4. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

teehee..Yo, Riz?

How old you man?

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Does remind of the "good ol' days"

Though I still feel that we are going ahead for good.

6. aeg0

aeg0 Guitarıng Alchemist

i think this is from bandbaaja. (the online pakmusic mag)

7. zing

zing Machine Head

nice post tho it made me feel kinda depressed :badmood:
    but then i realized :think:
    ok yesterday wuz good :)
    but mebbe tomoro wil be better :cool:
    but 1 thingz 4 sure
    TODAY IS THE BEST DAY OF EM ALL :rock:

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

um, yes....I am.

Yeah, life can be pretty laid back in Calcutta if you let it be.

9. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Hehe, you and your "back in time" thigs. The last thing that was "back then" that i can remember is me watching dexter and a whole bunch of other cartoons.

10. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

heh.. me messin around bw 21-22..

11. shak

shak Harrr!

aaaah ... yeah ... thats me alright!! ...
    i can relate almost everything to my childhood .. when i was in pak ... the guys brought up in india might not be aware of all these .. mitchells toffees and polka ice creams .. hehe .. but they are a part of my childhood .. i know them like the back of my hand
    damn i miss that time .... *sniff*
    you gettin reps rizzy .. if i am allowed ...

12. #iR@

#iR@ GANDI BACHI RELOADED

this mail was soooo sweet cause it ACTUALLY reminded me of my past... i mean i have eaten all those polka ice-creams, those mitchelle's candies, mayfair bubblegums, making decisions through games.... i just realised how much i have lost... but i am glad i can have all these eatables anytime i want! :) cause i live in PAKISTAN!(oh i love my country for this...hehe... might sound stupid but i guess this is wat i have to say :eek:: ) very nice mail rizaaj... reps coming ur way (if i can do that)

13. shak

shak Harrr!

it doesnt!!!! :shock:
    it sounds just right!! i grew up here in uk .. but i proudly say that i love pakistan as well .. thats my country!!! and i dont guess that i have to say it .. i know i have to say it .. be proud girl!! chin up!!!
    @rizaaj: sorry mate .. IGT wont let me rep you .. but its due on me ..
    and may i add to this nostalgic email forward ... i rem when we had electric load shedding ..haha .. me and my bro used to go up on the roof and the cool karachi breeze used to feel so nice .. :) those roads .. beaches .. neighbour's house .. with their huge birdcage and parrots .. that almost dried out grass in the lawn .. the smell of dirt after the rain .. man!!! i want all that back!!!!

14. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

hmm..thats pretty much where im juggling...

so where was i? :confused:

15. Varshita

Varshita New Member

That was awesome....I remember so much of that...
    infact i also remember...
    When getting 5 Rs every friday for eating food from canteen was enough
    Eating drink stick / orange bar after school was a luxury
    Kitkat and centre fresh were the latest in the market
    Watching surabhi ... on sundays
    when brands were equal to the shop names for us
    Golgappas were eaten from around the corner without worrying for the use of bisleri water for its water
    A trip to children's park / appu ghar (Delhi) was something to look forward to on sundays !!
    When playing stapoo/ pithoo was our favourite outdoor game
    we used to get the best sweets available in market for distribution on our bdays for show off
    Rakhi tying used to be so famous in schools
    When i stayed in a joint family and when our family used to go out for dinner.. i used to feel embarassed about the number of people sitting together....lol ... weird !!
    when Home knitted pull overs were good
    when getting tanned while playing under scorching sun was not what we worried about
    summer vacation meant going to naani's place
    hiding male freinds
    Refering to male freinds as females ( karan as karuna...lol)
    standing in the corridoors of the school to catch a glimse of your "then" crush
    When going to cinema hall to watch a movie used to be just 1-2 times a year ... either on mom dads anniversary or bdays
    when My dad used to drive a Fiat
    bunking classes sent shiver down the spine
    Early morning fights with mom for drinking milk.... use to flush it in the wash basin so often...lol

i can go on and on.....
    miss all that...

16. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

You can get whatever eatables you want in other countries aswell. Especially in the nearby ones.

And the US (go to ebay, they sell nachosè)

17. #iR@

#iR@ GANDI BACHI RELOADED

18. shak

shak Harrr!

i know man.. its sad back in pak ... poor souls being dictated by the western culture .. but lets not go there ... too serious topic for me :p .. if you want a serious chat hit me on PM or the MSN .. here in public i am nothin but a loon ..
    and its alright not to be yourself .. it happens .. dont worry .. you didnt said anything wrong .. i like you ... the way you are ..

19. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

hey shak..
    ever think of building counselling as a career? you wouldnt do bad, man :think:

20. shak

shak Harrr!

no actually .. i am not very good at listening .. i have a bad habbit of gagging others with my opinions .. but yeah i never give out a bad advice .. anyway ... tis not my field. . i am good with numbers and problems .. automotive industry is for me .. and have you ever thought of building your career as a "career advisor"? :p
    by the way .. in the next pm do tell me what you are doin in coll ... wonder why i didnt ask this before! :S