Good Mic and Souncard???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by prog_man_0101, Jan 13, 2006.

1. prog_man_0101

prog_man_0101 Dain Bramaged

Can anyone here recommend me which mic is best suited 4 recordin?????
    Also does the quality of the recordin depend upon the soundcard one has.....

I record usin a normal headphone mic and an onboard souncard........but the final recordin has a lot of hissin sound in it........ :mad:

Help me out on this one guys.......... :help:

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Depends on what budget you have, of course, but a Shure SM57 and a MOTU soundcard are really good. And yes, the sampling rate and quality of your soundcard do effect the sound quality.

3. vedder

vedder New Member

The quality of your recording depends to a large extent on your soundcard. You must have a good soundcard if you want your recordings to be really good.

As my soundcard, I use the Audiophile 192 by M-Audio. Its a 2 in-2 out soundcard with a sampling rate of 192Khz which is more than enough for any home recording purpose. I got it for about 10K or so. I would recommend it to anyone who is getting into home recording since it is affordable and produces great results. For a beginner, this soundcard is great!

You can also go for an external sound card which makes it easy to connect and disconnect cables. MOTU soundcards are great but they can be quite expensive.

As far as the mic goes for vocals, I would recommend using the SM 58. It is an absolute delight to reord vocals using that mic. I also use a mic preamp along with it for better results. The SM 58 is available in all big stores and will cost you about 4.5 - 5K only. After some experience with it, you'll get into the habit of using nothing but the SM 58, trust me! It is also the most preferred microphone by vocalists for live shows.

If you only want to record instruments, the SM57 is a better option.

Get into the habit of using good quality stuff and you'll get really great quality output...:)

Cheers!

4. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

I'd recommend the Shure SM-58 and Creative Sound Blaster Audigy series of sound cards.

5. prog_man_0101

prog_man_0101 Dain Bramaged

Thnx all u guys....
    That was pretty informative........:nw: