Good amp under 10k

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ultrabot90, Dec 7, 2007.

1. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

:) Drawing inspiration from the "Guitar under 30k" and specially the final points in "Good guitar under 20k" I am putting forward a similiar question - but for an amp under 10k.
    I have an MG10CD, though I think its *fine* as a first amp, but people seem to criticize all of the MGs...So which one should I try for next? Im not really rich, so hopefully the cost will be less (else i'd simply go get EDIT - ALL of these -
    https://www.bajaao.com/marshall-mg100hdfx-100w-guitar-amplifier-head-p-4683.html
    https://www.bajaao.com/marshall-mg412a-angled-12-celestion-speaker-cabinet-p-4684.html
    https://www.bajaao.com/marshall-mg412b-straightfront-12-celestion-speaker-cabinet-p-4685.html )

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Hmmm, it may not be a bad idea to run your amp through a larger cab. Although I think 10W is a little underpowered to run a 412, I'm not the expert on that.

I guess there are a few 20-30 watters out there in your price range. Laney maybe?

3. NoneSoVile

NoneSoVile New Member

4. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

hmmm u hav an effects processor then don go fr an amp wid effects jus go fr te power there are some vox ive heard they are awesome........

5. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Get a Laney LX series. I will have one fr sale(The LX 35, 4 months old bought from bajaao) for sale for 6K by Jan 1st week.

6. ultrabot90

Oops, I forgot to post the requirements...
    @thehundredtheone-I cant get a cab in a month of Sundays...My parents will go bankrupt dude.
    @NoneSoVile-Yeah, I need one for gigs...for smaller performances we already have teh 10 watt...
    @radicalz_adi-You're correct, for the same reason I prefer those without any effects cuz I already have a good processor...
    @Life_Sans_Death-You're always selling your stuff rofl
    PS - Why are the tube/valve ones so frickin expensive? Laney Laney LV20065 65 watt tube amp is like 16k, and even worse, Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30W for the same price.

7. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Ha ha, I am doing a massive gear blowout. Includes my distortion pedal, my first guitar, my practice amp, all that to be sold.

8. ultrabot90

9. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

Id call it a speaker...

10. ultrabot90

Um, " Stranger Cube 80 80W Guitar Amplifier".... o_O

11. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Pa.................................

12. ultrabot90

PA system? lol...It says amp -.-
    Anyways, who am I kidding, a friend of mine had a 100 watt stranger amp...sucky distortion...but the volume blowed the entire Sadiq Nagar away. XD
    ...I guess even a 50 watt could manage that.
    Will a 30 watt do any good in, say, open air situations? Or maybe I should save up and get a half stack?
    Edit - Is Hartke good? https://www.bajaao.com/hartke-mgt60p-piggy-back-60w-channel-4x8-mini-stack-p-4412.html o_o

13. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

ive played that mini stack...decent cleans, horrible horrible distortion

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Wattage does not equal volume. Volume comes from the speakers. 100W powering a tiny 10" will be less loud as compared to 50W powering a 4x12.

Strangers don't really have a good frequency response for the guitar. There are certain characteristics of a guitar amplifier like the frequency cutoffs and a mid hump in some. I guess the Stranger amps don't do that the same way a Marshall or a Laney would.

If your venue is being miced then it wouldn't matter much if you had a 30W or a 50W. Again the volume difference depends on the nature and number of speakers being driven and not the power rating of the amplifier. The standard 30W amps can generally be heard over drums while you jam. A half stack is really overkill unless you gig a lot of venues unmiced.

Tube amps are expensive because their tubes are not manufactured by too many companies any more. Getting a tube amp is what most guitarists would consider the best investment but it is one that requires money and diligence.

15. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

Get a laney TFX1 if you can find one. I have one. Paid around 11k for it. 50w...amazing amp. I dont think ill buy another amp unless its a tube stack...look into it and dont waste your cash on some bullshit hartke

16. ultrabot90

The speaker-volume relation is new to me...thanks...but then, what does watt count for, then? I was always under the myth that more watts=more volume...

I dunno bout venues...just figure - Our last gig, we went to IIPM Chattarpur, they had a few Marshall MG100DFXs...I played rhythm (The Trooper by Iron Maiden) and had a really heavy full-gain tone, which had sounded perfect in the practice sessions, same guitar same processor just the amp was the MG10CD...in the gig, it sounded so fricking muddy...you couldnt even have made out the strumming...I fiddled around with it frantically, turned down the EQ, changed channel to clean, etc etc etc...no change, and there was a time limit on...ugh.

@Alexi_Laiho-Hey yeah, that one looks good...except for the effects...I know, I could simply turn em off...but that'd be wasteful expenditure...