Girly? Problem-nails

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Greeshma, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Greeshma

Greeshma Greeshma'z in da House

well i dnt actually no if this can be concidered a girls prolem cuz i'm sure this effects male guitar players as well. my guitar teacher never taught me to use a pick wen playing, he wud always say y need a pick wen u hav 5 already.he would constantly tell me off for having my nails 2 long and not taking care of them..or when i chip them they get caught on the string or i cant play properlyetc ect he made one of my friends cut hers with paper cutting scissors-yes i sed HERS, cuz heaps of girls play guitar unlike wat ppl think-. i guess my question is wat do u guyz do wit ur nails... do u take care of them for guitar playing or had the thought never even crossed ur mind

2. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Uh, kid, use those long thimble like things which you put on your finger and play...o.o
    And without pick, there's no strumming. Duh.
    And thats just the picking hand. Fretting hand REALLY needs short nails. Even more for low action guitars. Nails just come in the way.
    As for
    No one thinks that girls dont play guitar. The point is, they learn open chords and cant be bothered to play further. IE, they play for showing off :RollLol: History has good femme guitarists (there's Jennifer Batten, others I cant remember), but the bitter truth is that there aint no girls serious in guitar. Hence the whole ridicule XD

3. Greeshma

fretting hand is wat i ment wen i got told off for having my nails 2 long..guess i didn't xplain 2well

well i no many female guitarist and there many on this site that laugh wen they hear the words guitar and girl in the same sentence. and ummmm...........well i have heard mnay brilliant female guitar players but as much as i'd h8 2 admit it...but they r not famous enough 4 me to no of their name but theres a 1st 4 everything....the only female guitar players ppl hav probably have heard of r just singers who happen to no a bit of guitaring(mainly just chords)....BTW i seem 2 hear many find chords really easy and melody's or tab (i dnt no wat they r called) hard. i'm completly the opposite....i hav to work on my chords

wat dox XD mean???

4. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

just give yourself time and a bit dedication ..you'll get it..!
    learn further under a good teacher..

5. ultrabot90

I thought you meant the right hand.
    Personally, I make it a point to cut my left hand (fretting) fingernails, it makes it easy to execute bends. Otherwise I've played with (slightly) long nails as well, not too much hampering.
    Wha, you're on lead guitar? :shock:
    Surprising! But good to hear! :rock:

6. Greeshma

u guyz use different wording to us, so i dnt no if i am rite in saying i'm on lead cuz i'm not in a band. YET.................i have only been taking lessons 4 a year but my guitar teacher based it on melody(which i think is the same as lead)....well the classes were 4 classical guitar, i dnt no if there a differnce. but i want to learn more chords....they seem so much hards than melody

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Contact me in person, I might help.

8. ultrabot90

I meant that I thought that you played lead guitar. Doesnt have anything to do with bands (not too much in this context, anyways)

9. Greeshma

As i sed we use completing differert wording well at least i was taught differnt words

Alpha-dude we live wat too far away otherwise sure *cough*cough*

BTW wat doz XD mean

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

For getting XD - you need to watch some Southpark.

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone New Member

Get horizontal, maybe you'll understand XD

12. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

Wait!I know...I know!!Lingerie!!

13. Greeshma

no i still dnt get it.............better start watching south park then

14. ultrabot90

I have never seen south park O_O
    Well, XD is like :D or any other smiley in the world...read it sideways...
    More accurately - :D with the eyes closed in mirth.
    If you still dont understand, try this experiment
    Code:
    1. Stand/sit innocently on a footpath, possibly behind something that hides you.
    2. Keep waiting till one of your enemies comes by. DO NOT MAKE YOURSELF SEEN.
    3. Stick your foot out in an angle of 45 degrees, precisely .50 seconds before the person's first leg crosses your line of sight.
    4.Watch the laws of gravitation, inertia and human bad-mouthedness come into action.
    5.Ask a friend to hold up a mirror to your face
    The resultant expression is 'XD' / 'xD'

If you still dont get it, then you are a
    [​IMG]
    Picture courtsey alpha1/google image search.
    "XD"

15. Greeshma

then y did Alpha say it had somthing 2 do with South Park

16. ultrabot90

I dont know. I've never seen South Park. Would love to do so, though :think:

17. Greeshma

i have seen it B4 but it wasn't on any of the eposides i saw

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Eric Cartman.

He will come up with that expression (literally), on Southpark.

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

thats cool that you dont use a pick. dont listen to any turd that tells you that you need one. you're on the right track as far as lessons are concerned and yes, you do need to work on chords a lot. try posting recordings and see what people say.
    as for nails, yes you're supposed to cut them short if you're playing the guitar. there really isnt a way around it. it does look a little odd if you have nails on one hand and not the other so perhaps you can sacrifice a little?

and i know two girls who are better at me than guitar so i tend not to comment on issues like this.

20. ultrabot90

O_O You positive, bjr?
    Ok, lets see...which is the best song/anything else they can play on guitar?
    And then please tell the same for yourself.
    If you folks are past the learning stage and compose, then whats special about your and the girls' technique? As in, speed, technical composing, theory (!) etc.