Gibson Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rabi_sultan, Oct 8, 2004.

1. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

i might be buying a Gibson, I like playing stuff like Green Day, Nirvana, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Clash, Bryan Adams etc.

I also have around £550 to spend on a 2nd hand guitar :)

So my choices left over are:
    Gibson SG
    Gibson Les Paul
    Gibson Firebird
    Gibson Explorer

any recommendations?
    yes i am talking about gibson, not givson, epiphone or korina. i want quality ;)

2. gibson les paul..wins hands down..
    ive been lustin after the zakk wylde signature les paul for a long time.

3. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Les Paul man.. Aint that Obvious??

4. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

I've got the Gibson Zakk Wylde and Slash Signatures dude. I don't think you are going to get these signatures for that price range.
    Rabi - If thats the music you play. then most of those artist use fender strats and jagstang except for Led Zeppelin.
    You can get an Epiphone Zakk Wylde for around £550 new[cheaper in the states-take advantage of the dollar to the rupee rate]. Thats the closest you can get.

5. rabi_sultan

to be honest i had my eye on the explorer, gonna go sometime next week into London on Denmark Street (nr Tottenham Court Road station) and play them there, just wondering what the IGT gang thought about it before i went.

6. jayanth

If you try explorer.. Buy the GothicExplorer..

7. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

Rabi - Are you talking about Soho Soundhouse. They are the biggest there, good deals.

Got this one this week, cost £450 but if you are interested I could put on to someone who might be able to give you a good deal. You could get it as cheap as £300.

Attached Files:

8. jayanth

Cool Guitar...

9. rabi_sultan

i was talking about Andy's Guitar Place, but then thats the only shop on Denmark Street that i know by name. yeah pro i would appreciate that if you could, but before i buy anything i would want to try out the four different guitar models.

Talking about explorers jay i dont like the sound of the Goth Explorer, is this the one you mean:
    https://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/xfactor/xvoodoo.html

if so no, i'd prefer something that looks more like a classic guitar, the '58 Explorer
    https://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/historic/designer/ExplorerandVs/58Explorer/58Explorer.html

10. jayanth

Both Lok equally good.. The Goth looks good.. And the korina is your best buy.. it suits your type of music.. Onle difference is the Pickups for which the Kor is a better way to go in your case..

11. jayanth

12. rabi_sultan

but Korina's cost in thousands of pounds :(

13. jayanth

But that was what you selected?? Right.. go for the Voodoo ..

14. rabi_sultan

15. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

those are some real awesom guitars .

16. jayanth

Take the secong one.. Its really cool..

17. rabi_sultan

ok went to london today and did some really interesting things.

Firstly I can't get a hold of a Explorer or Firebird that is less than a grand (£1,000) so that pretty much ruled things out. I then went and played on a 1989 Gibson USA SG Special which was at £850, must say I was very dissapointed with the sound had too much tone way too much I think the Jazzmaster has less than this :shock:

In any case I left there and continued walking around where I encountered a Fender shop, :) as soon as I walk in I see a £550 Cyclone 2 which I try. MUCH better than the Gibson imo but my cousin didn't seem to like it after the 12th fret, I thought it was ok. We then went to try a Fender Telecaster that was around £769 and for me there was too much tone and loudness coming from the bass strings (bottom 3 [E,A,D]) of the guitar than the Treble strings, my cousin who had thought the Cyclone was pants likes the Telecaster more.

Then we went to the last shop where I found THE BEST guitar that i played today out of the shops. A 1968 Fender Mustang Relic. It was so banged out of shape the wood chippings were coming off, but i must say the sound out of it was putting my 1994 Fender USA Strat to shame, lovely sharp sounds were coming out of it. Certainly worth £850 imho. Best thing about it is that it had a hand rest so that you can rest your hand just before the bridge without disturbing the strings which ran under a raised rollbar.

My list of today:
    1.1968 Fender Mustang
    2.1994 Fender USA Stratcaster
    3.2004 Fender Cyclone
    4.2004 Fender USA Telecaster
    5.1989 Gibson SG

My cousin's:
    1.1994 Fender USA Stratcaster
    2.2004 Fender USA Telecaster
    3.1968 Fender Mustang
    4.2004 Fender Cyclone
    5.1989 Gibson SG

Sorry gang but unless the Firebird and Explorer do something amazing for me its looking like the Mustang just whooped everythings ass!

18. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Go for Gibson Les Paul Supreme. Drop Dead Looks. You can also look at Gibson SG, the guitar that almost invented heavy metal. Tony Iommi plays that. ;)

19. ronnieanand

Check the attachment. Gibson Lespaul Supreme with Gold Hardware.

20. ronnieanand

Ain't that awesome. I am falling in love with my own posting. I wish I owned all of them. ;) At least one of 'em.