Gibson Digital Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Apr 27, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    Check out this link https://www.gibsondigital.com/index.html.
    This guitar can give you six outputs one for each string and you could also have a setting in such a way that the low strings are set at cruch, the middles ones at medium overdrive and the high strings clean or any other combination. Can you imagine playing with some of your strings connect to some pedal and the others connected to some other pedals. Each string could be connected to a seperate amplifier too. Wierd but pretty innovative idea. Dont forget to check the link. It's pretty cool.

2. shak

shak Harrr!

yeah .. its has been here for ages, but to be honest, i dont like the idea.

3. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

gr8 stuff.gud post buddy!

4. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

that thing will surely inspire guitarists to make new type of sounds

5. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

its not weird at all - in fact it gives the guitarist a lot more power - the main thing is to gradually decrease ditortion from the top string to the bottomstring - this way u can play some really nice riffs... its also got lots of plsu poits for studio recording - i dont see why some1 shouldnt like the idea - its been around since dam long- ain gibson announced this idea over a year back..

6. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Yeah, that idea is great, us guitars have to advance some time!

7. shak

shak Harrr!

umm, for a digital junky, yeah it is a great innovation, but i dont think a serious musician would go for a fancy gadget like this, i mean, a good mahogany body with a half decent humbucker is what u need to make good music, this digital stuff is just a bit too much... although i agree it has its own pros but still i would prefer a simple humbucker loaded old axe.... a "passive" humbucker that is, hehehe call me old fashioned and i wont give a dime, but this active humbucker thingies (ahemm, emg's) are just another episode of this taint....
    so are line6 variax, although they are good!!, and so are parker mojos (on baord amps and piezos) but we dont see guitarists using them too often do we??? .. there must be a reason..... and the reason is.... YES! nothing beats a good old electric guitar :)

8. stoned_survival

stoned_survival New Member

sharukhs rt ---i know it sounds like those kinda wierd ppl who sun wanna accept new technology ---but somehow the idea ain appealing

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

agree with SRK on this one....nothing beats a good old electric :)
    this has been around for more than a year i guess :)

10. rust_in_pain

come on people ...guitars have to beat the keyboards in digital fields

i know for us the guitar is more valuable but 4 the people outside the guitar world its still the keyboard.

11. andystringer83

andystringer83 New Member

Thats some pretty cool stuff :beer:

12. ronnieanand

Hey Rust,
    How can you compare Guitar with Keyboards. Guitar Synthesizer has been around for a long time. Guitars have beaten keyboards long back in terms of sound and everything else.

13. rust_in_pain

ronnie,
    i was talking abt those fools who still overate the keyboard and believe me there are many of them

14. ronnieanand

I guess you wont find such junkies in this forum.

15. rust_in_pain

definately not....
    this community is the best

16. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

i still would disagree - anyone who wants complete control in studio recording would find digital technology really helpful..

the reason most guitarists use their good ol axe is cause they arent used to the new stuff yet.

the line 6 - ok maybe this ppl wont use for studio recording,

but the gibson dig. guitar allows the artist to really create the exact sound he wants...

its not like were asking eeery1 to go replae their guitars with dig. ones... but in the end the digital technology really is good..

btw - most of the sound we hear from all the good bands is goin through so much softweare that it would barely resemble picking up the guitar and just playing - i mean the kind of noise gates they use are so digitally advanced that it completely changes the way the guitar sounds - as in it totally cutsa out all the bad noise,.

now that isnt possible without all this dig. technology...

im sure there are some artists who dont use noise gates but a majority of them do.

its the same arguement - digital tech vs. good old fasioned sound

17. ronnieanand

I dont think any artist playing live with a tube amp is going to play without noise gates. It might not be a rack noise supressor. It could be a band pass filter or equalizer or at least some stomp box noise gate. It's a 100% must. Amps are such cranked up volumes tend to be noisy. You can't avoid it. It's after all a old fashioned vacuum tube not some new low noise semiconductor. Tube amps sounds best but noisy too.

I feel the Line6 variax is more for studio purposes, where the artist can get different sounds at the touch of few buttons. I dont think they'd want to do it live that way. Take any album, it's usually recorded on various amps and guitars and other setups. But when they play the same set live, they do it with minimum variations.

18. shak

shak Harrr!

but i still dont see this guitar being used more practically than its ancestors! ... i mean the most it can do is reduce the noise and give you individual control over each string, the noise control is easily cmpromised in the analogue guitars using noise gates etc, so there is nothing new, and as far as the individual string control goes, well i dont see a revolution here, i mean why would you want high e on chorus, B on flanger, G on clean, D on echo, A on expression pedal controlled wha, and E on distortion .... you cant play anything like this, ok now i am being tooo cynical but do you get my point? ... there is not much use except you can hang that beauty on the wall ask your friend to come around for a footie match and a pint, and while they are here get your guitar off the wall, rigg it up with ethernet cable plug it into "break out box" technology, use some fancy digital words and try to impress them. .... "errr ok so what does it do again .... it converts audio into digital signal and then back to analogue when plugged into amp...and there is also a latency problem after 100 yards ... hmmm ... how much did ya spend???" ...you:" (uh oh)....umm not much ... just bought it for fun :) (soaked)" ... .. "yeah thats what i thought ..... dont you think the gibson custom shop model of jimmy page is better??" .... you:" well the thought never croseed my mind... i can still return it!!! ... thnx"

JAZZ likes this.