Giant Mice Eating Birds Alive

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Aug 7, 2005.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Giant carnivorous mice on the British-ruled island of Gough in the south Atlantic are eating seabird chicks alive in mass feeding frenzies, threatening several species' survival.

London, Great Britain -- The house mice, while three times the size of those seen in mainland Britain, are still only one 250th the size of the chicks they attack, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) said Monday.

The mice, which strike at night in large numbers, are devouring more than one million petrel, shearwater and albatross chicks on Gough Island every year, the charity warned.

The island, a UN World Heritage site in the South Atlantic, is the most important seabird colony on the planet, hosting more than 10 million birds. It is one of the Tristan da Cunha group of islands, a British overseas territory.

"Gough Island hosts an astonishing community of seabirds, and the catastrophe could make many extinct within decades," said Geoff Hilton, a senior research biologist at the RSPB.

"We think there are about 700,000 mice which have somehow learned to eat chicks live, much like blue tits learned to peck milk bottle tops," he said.

"The albatross chicks weigh up to ten kilograms (22 pounds), and ironically albatrosses evolved to nest on Gough because it had no mammal predators -- that is why they are so vulnerable," he said.

"The mice weigh just 35 grams (1.235 ounces). It is like a tabby cat attacking a hippopotamus."

In a pattern only ever seen on Gough Island, one mouse attacks a chick and the resultant blood appears to attract others, who gnaw into the defenceless chick's body, creating a gaping wound until it dies.

The chicks are more or less immobile and unable to defend themselves, Hilton said.

"Without predators this would not be a problem, but for a carnivorous mouse population one of the wettest and windiest places on earth it is an easy meal of almost unimaginable quality," he said.

"The result is carnage."

Scientists suspect that the mice are also eating the eggs and chicks of the rare ground-nesting Gough bunting, a small finch found nowhere else in the world.

Researchers think the finch has been forced from the best nesting sites into less suitable uplands areas.

The Gough mouse is one of 2,900 non-native species damaging native wildlife in the 17 UK Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies, a review by the Joint Nature Conservation Committee has found.

Gough Island hosts 99 percent of the world's Tristan albatross and Atlantic petrel populations, the birds most often attacked. Just 2,000 Tristan albatross pairs remain.

2. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

sickening... i hope somethings beoing done to comntrol the mice menace

3. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

i think one should let it be cuz....its a natural process and we shouldnt interfer in that

4. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

i think natural processs shud have its own limitations too!

5. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

The mice shud be taken to the doctor..:)

6. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

thats the nature has to think off not we

7. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

some what like that!btw large birds in a sense ,, tryceraptous???

8. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

this isnt a natiral process- as the article says - the mice are not aprt of the islands natural ecosystem but are outsiders as in theyve probably hitched a ride on human ships - hence humans need to cure the problem they started.

9. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

aaaaaaaaaargghhhhhh grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!what is this!which one these did neo mean::
    1>>> giant mice, eating birds alive
    2>>> giant, mice eating birds, alive

10. nadish

nadish Active Member

I saw an Episode of Tom & Jerry in which Jerry finds a Baby Elephant. To survive himself from Tom, he paints that Baby Elephant like mouse and rolls the elephant's nose. That baby elephant just looked like a mouse, I'm afraid that giant mices which are eating seabirds are actually the elephants, and they have changed their getup to looks like mice... :):):):)