Geetham-01

Discussion in 'Carnatic Music of South India' started by harini, Mar 14, 2005.

1. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

hey harini, no offense pls and that was not negative feedback.. I am not qualified to comment on anyone's piece.

M G R S ||
    |ravinutha||

it was tricky at that spot and you seem to play back to back gamakams on Ga and Ri. So I was just checking with you. I want to make it very clear that I was not taking sides with Ananth against you. probably the posts in context would have made that kind of sense to you. I apologize.

2. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

kishmu, there is a difference when someone who knows the subject tells you something is wrong and when someone who doesnt know the subject tells you its wrong. I am only trying to share knowledge here. If people think theyr going to get "stuck" playing something wrong, i wont waste so much time on igt rite.

3. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

harini, I never said u were wrong.
    I just said that I could relate to the way he explained it.
    I did NOT say that u don't know how it is derved. I would be just as happy if you explained to me how it is derived.
    Everything I've learnt till now has been through unverified sources, which is not the best way. But it is experimental and exciting, and most of all, the only way I've got. If you offer something better I'll gladly accept it.
    Thanx for ur lessons, pls keep posting them. and pls try to say what is right and what is wrong instead of who.

4. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

Harini, there's absolutely no issue. If I said that your piece sounded wrong, just say that I am wrong. whats the big deal? I apologized for saying something stupid and now lets move on.

5. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

guys, harini is in many ways like me. dont misunderstand her (like i got misunderstood in the hindi forum). she means good, and doesnt keep anything in her heart for long.

6. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

jay.. what happened to you in the hindi forum?

7. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

oh nothing, for some reason people thought i am cynical and sarcastic i have no idea why :shock:

8. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

jay,

its ok to be critical. some would take the criticism as being sarcastic/cynical. thats the same problem here in this thread as well.

criticism, when taken positively, would make people re-think and get better at what they are doing. whats the point in playing something, if no one says its right/wrong. we will only remain as good as we think we are and the purpose of this forum is lost!

harini,

dont put yourself on a hallowed ground and make assertions that your piece is gold. may be if you go back and listen to your piece, u would be extra-careful next time when you lift your fingers from the strings. you should realize fast that you are teaching to a decent group, who would know the difference between a gamakam and an anya-swara(did I say it right?:)).

who said you cannot learn while you teach? Just be open-ended to take any suggestions and improve your knowledge. No one is trying to diminish your stature as the teacher of this group.

I have said all I should --- now I will quit this group so others can benefit from your knowledge. ciao :)

9. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

there is no need to quit this group chichu.

I will not be posting here nemore.

Enjoy

10. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

hey harini. there was no issue at all.. we have successfully dug a mountain out of a molehill.. in any case why penalize other guys? :(

11. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

"dont put yourself on a hallowed ground and make assertions that your piece is gold."

i do not say my piece is gold. at the same time...it is not wrong. you can play a song correctly, and you can play a song beautifuly. all of us strive for the latter, as when the latter is achieved, the former is also achieved.

I write concert reviews here for people chichu. i can very well judge my own piece. knowledge is permanant, how i play the violin depends on how much i practice. you guys cannot benefit from me being a violin maestro anyways, but you'l can benefit from the knowledge. at the same time, playing incorrectly is a very big accusation that you shouldnt hve made.

think about it

12. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

Sorry! Sorry!! Sorry!!!

harini,

I have realized that I shouldnt have said some stupid stuff and I have already apologized for that. It should have ended there. My query was strictly with the piece posted and an honest attempt to understand gamakas. I do not doubt your knowledge and actually making a sincere attempt to learn stuff. Let us not squabble on petty issues and make this learning experience pleasant.

If I knew where you live I would have sent you a sorry card with flowers :p: If there is something else I can do to make you change your mind. let me know. :)

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

ok lets end this thing ok?

lets move on to geetham 02

14. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

chichu..
    i dont like flowers. but you are more than welcome to send me chocolates:)

15. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

that and cheesy heart shaped baloons buahaha

16. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

no thanks...
    chocolates will do- nice ones though.