Geetham-01

Discussion in 'Carnatic Music of South India' started by harini, Mar 14, 2005.

1. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

read the posts avin..iv explained how rupakam-3, and chatur rupakam 6 are the same...(3*2=6)

2. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

Jay, you did not respond to my query about modulation and how you are playing gamakas :(

I chose to ignore harini's advice that I should not learn gamakas from you. would that mean anything to you? :)

3. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

your should listen to her.. she is right.. i have no idea how to play gamakkas on the guitar.. mainly because i am very weak in playing scales anyways.. I think i should first focus on practicing western scales on THE guitar before moving to carnatic and gamakkas.. playing gamakkas on the kyboard.. thats something i tried and gave up some time ago.. savita who is a member here is a master of that.. she plays awesome carnatic keyboard, and is an excellent singer as well.

4. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Chichu..
    Jay can tell you how hard it is for someone to teach you when they cannot hear what you are playing. Even when Jay plays on the phone...sometimes i am unable to get him to play the right gamakkams because gamakams have no set swarams rite..its just a feel.

Maybe this will help you. When i started learning violin, all the notes were initially played bland...in order to understand the finger position etc. However, when gammakams were first introduced by my sir, it was a horrible nightmare, just because i knew what i had to play, but was frustrated that what was coming from my violin didnt sound like it! Practice practice practice makes better. Once you'v crossed that stage, any ragam will be a fruitcake to you. It is in that stage though most people leave carnatic music. Listen to the song and understand what you have to do first! Try and replicate that 100%. Do not give up just becaues you cannot replicate it.

if you stil want to ignore my advice...thats fine too.

5. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

6. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Chichu, the site given by ananth is great for notation purposes. However his recordings are very bad! I would suggest you not learn from there

7. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

very bad in what way? recording quality, pitch/shruthi or in terms of logic? pls clarify.

8. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

I like his recordings, they r not perfect, but why cant we learn from them harini?

9. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

the "vazhi" is not correct.
    learning and practicing something the wrong way will only dig your hole deeper

10. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

actually I checked out some of his(shiv kumar) classes before.. I hate them.. he talks a lot.. and sings less :)

11. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

well you need to talk a lot to teach properly. You must already be a genius if you can pick up from a teachers singing and don't need lessons.
    besides, I think his target audience is very wide and variegated and he has to teach the way he does. I like his explanations.

12. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

ananth, this group already went thru "its my opinion" funda before. I am not a genius, dont have to be one to learn from listening to others(singing I mean). For example, I might be learning more from harini's violin piece than his hour-long peptalk on how to execute malahari(assuming both are technically correct :))

Who cares? I am not trying to be a maestro!

13. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

ananth you are wrong. THe best way to learn music is to learn it from someone singing, not talking. you need to understand what the person is talking about. its like having theory knowledge vs hands on experience. that site is not a good one to learn from. i pity you if you learn from that site

14. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

hey its not like he doesn't sing
    he sings enuf and talks enuf to make u understand what hes singing in a nice analytical way. if a gamakam takes a pitch from sa to ga and back to re he says it that way and that makes sense. he also sings it that way so u know what it sounds like.
    maybe you like to reproduce what u hear without worrying about what it means,but I like to understand how it is derived. these are personal preferences. I'm not saying one is better than the other.

15. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

his way of treating a ragam is wrong! And im not the first person saying that. Im a violinist ananth, i know how the gamakkam is derived better than a vocalist.
    Anyways...if this is an ego problem for you, i wont say nething further.

16. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

lol.. timeout! do we have anything to discuss that is relevant to the thread. FYI I am very close to upload this geetham with gamakams(however crappy it might sound).

Ananth, all I meant to say originally is that the guy never sings the geetham completely in one go. talks a lot in between. the end result is -- you might know the derivations of various gamakams if you patiently listen to him, but talam is lost.

harini, your piece did not sound right in couple of places especially when playing gamakams on ga and ri next to each other. I find thats the toughest part to play in the whole geetham. I can still try to make it sound like your piece but I dont want to get stuck on something thats not right in the first place. Pls let me know.

17. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

i dont think i played it wrong chichu. that is the way malahari is played. ga comes from ma, and ri is almost sa.

18. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

if there is a question about whether or not i am teaching something is right, i will stop coming here. i dont have the necessity to put up with nonsense. you can learn from shivakumar or ananth, or whomever you please to learn from.

19. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

hey harini, that was just some negative feedback u got.. accept it in the right spirit,

the feedback may be right or wrong doesnt matter.. but at least accept it.. and if u do not agree with it, you can say so.. and then justify.

20. kishmu

kishmu New Member

uh oh. We all know Harini has strong opinions on how Carnatic should be learnt. Why are we debating with the teacher herself?? If you want to learn, just learn. Obviously she knows more than rest of us (or maybe theres someone here who knows more), so lets question less and learn it as she sees it. I am very happy I am getting lessons I always wanted to get so bad.

Harini - I understand your strong reaction when someone said "you are wrong". But, like Jay said, you should take criticisms in the right spirit. You may be right in the end, still, lets make the experience of sharing knowlege pleasant.