Gear Sound Clips Thread!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by laneymaney, Apr 4, 2007.

1. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

@alpha yep i've neglected my electric 4 abt a month :eek::
    no free time at all...
    strings are out of tune and 9 months old :shock: , my ampli settings are dead/inactive.......

will get the settings of the set up right when am hols...having exams right now ...:eek:: :eek::

2. Double Click

Double Click New Member

@talkien - That is one fine sounding amp.. Has that nice byte on the attack which u never get on cheapo modelers.

How much did it cost u to build? Any chance u can bring it to B'lore with u?? I'd love to try it out :)

3. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

It sounds best with some power tube distortion for which I have to crank it all the way up but until I build an attenuator (no headphone out :) ) I'm afraid to push it, might give the neighbours a heart attack. It's that loud at ~10 watts.

Oh cost is classified I'm afraid, actually I don't really know the exact cost because I bought surplus parts for a few amps. Most of these parts are from an ancient radio shop. A lot of components are imported or Indian Old stock, stuff that's no longer made. Like my pots are from Morganite, Best pots I've ever come across in India, sadly no longer made :( so I bought all he had :) Some caps are from BEL etc. I have ceramic tube sockets for 3 more amps I think

For all practical puposes this amp is a genuine vintage (except for the transformers) and the preamp is almost exactly a JCM 800.

Anyway glad you like it, Stick around, parties just begun...

4. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

And yes the dynamics of a genuine tube amp are far too complex for even the most advanced modelers to emulate accurately for the simple reason that a tube itself reacts so differently depending on how you play. I can't explain it but when you hear it live you really feel as if the sound has passed through a glass bottle before reaching the speaker. No wonder more and more stomps are showing up with real tubes in them. No point trying to fake it.

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Stomps with tubes in them are mostly for gimmicks. I own one of these, and like most it runs the tube at about 12V, just using it as a gain stage. An IC provides the higher-gain stage.The multiple gain stages arguably give touch-sensitivity and complexity. Some very costly stomps(costlier than a small tube amp) are full-fledged preamps running tubes at the high voltage. Jury is still out on most sources as to which one sounds better. Both get blown off by tube amps for sure. I guess its because there is much more to a complete tube amp than what can be crammed into that small stompbox.

There are designs which mimic preamp circuits with JFETs instead of tubes. I am planning to build one of these as my first DIY project:)

6. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

most Tubes in stomps are not for creating gain (at least not the bulk of it). That is indeed done by opamps. They're more for shaping the waveform. Here's an article from one of my earlier projects that explains it better
    https://www.paia.com/ProdArticles/tubesnd.htm#tubework

and the project itself. There's a schematic also if anyone's interested

https://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9210K

Of course I sourced the parts here at a fraction of their cost, but I really liked it. It provided the initial inspiration for an all tube amp. Sounds really great and comes packed with balanced/unbalanced outputs, spkr sims for headphone practice or use it as a preamp. Plus you keep your old amp going too. I hooked it up to a mixer at the office and this baby is all you need for tube sound into a PA. A real Stack in a Box if you ask me. But yeah all tube is just something else :)

7. conodeen

conodeen New Member

can somebody tell me the the settings on an rp80 to get the sound of the intro in iron maiden's -different world song.
    i just bought it a couple of days ago. i just cant get a nice distortion sound other than a damn fuzz distortion. :nw:

8. conodeen

conodeen New Member

plzzzhelp...i'm feeling really depressed cause i tried n tried but couldnt get it 2 sound like the leads for gnr either.
    ps: i just bought the rp80 a couple of days back.i've never used ne pedal before.

9. .:SpY_GaMe:.

what amp do you have?^^^ go to the digitech web site there is a page for the different settings

10. conodeen

conodeen New Member

i have a stupid KUSTOM SOUND cube 20 amp.....

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

clips please....always wanted to know how that amp sounded

12. conodeen

conodeen New Member

i dont now how 2 record clips. other than maybe using windows sound recorder

ok ive recorded but how do i upload ??

13. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

14. .:SpY_GaMe:.

@ conodeen u got the rp 100 page for the settings???

use www.google.com if not

15. .:SpY_GaMe:.

16. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^ Urk...
    What did you record through?
    Tell me if I'm right, you're using compression, delay/echo and a phaser.

17. .:SpY_GaMe:.

yep! lol am sure that did scared u :grin: :think:
    i seriously need a new amp my guitar sounded good when i used that on a laney(i think) at the music shop but since i was out of $$ i had to get a cheap amp...

will post sth better when i plug in in my friends amp...

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

get a small laney Extreme LX series...u can for less than 5k

19. .:SpY_GaMe:.

20. Anik8

Anik8 -Starforsaken-

well, i havent done any originals...but ill show you people what ive dont for practice..

This is ONLY for dying in your arms:
    1.Name of Product: Zoom GFX-8
    2.Price:(Aprrox) 8,000
    3.Recording done through: Computer. No amp used. all effects via the processor
    4.Rate the product on 10:8
    5.EQ setting of recording.
    settings are a little different on the proc..range is from -20 to 20.
    bass-1. mids-10. treb-4 gain-15

The Recording is done using batteries, and somethings very wrong with my soundcard, if i decrease gain or volume, i get volume swell, so if anyone knows the solution to that, let me know.

For hand of blood and suffocating:
    1.Name of Product:Kustom Fx15
    2.Price:(Aprrox) 1,700
    3.Recording done through: Just the Amp. no processor used.
    4.Rate the product on 10:5
    5.EQ setting of recording.
    Dont remeber now...but it had no mids, bass was 4 i think and treb was 6. drive was 10 :p

these werent done using my Ibanez, were done using my java strat copy. with single coils and no noise gate whatsoever. i used the amps distortion. and it pretty much turned out better then i thought [:p]

all of its done on my computer through nuendo.

its all here
    https://www.myspace.com/azothproject

comments and criticism welcome. but dont be flaming my old stuff. i used equip worth 5.5k on it! and i think it turned out great!

@laney
    hey! we play very similar stuff!