Gear Hauling

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by gamebore, May 17, 2011.

1. gamebore

gamebore New Member

Hi guys. I will soon be shifting to another city for period of 6 months or more. Planning to carry my gear with me. I however have some doubts. Would be glad if someone coud throw some light on it:

1) I’ll be carrying my electric guitar in well-padded soft case. Will I be allowed to carry it as an in-flight hand baggage? I have my doubts considering it’s size. Plus, I’ll be carrying a laptop bag with me too as hand baggage. I wonder if they’ll allow both.

2) I have zero idea on whether it is even safe to carry my tube amp along with me on a flight. I cannot afford a hard case for the amp, so that is out of question. I have the box in which it came, with thermocol padding etal. Please give your suggestions on what can be done for safe transit of the amp.

3) Does it matter which flight I book with regards to ease and convenience in transporting above two mentioned gears without much fuss?

It will be about a couple of weeks before I move, so there is ample time in case any special arrangement needs to be made. Any and all help is highly appreciated.

2. flood

flood New Member

your amp will probably not be allowed on board. the simplest thing to do is pull out the tubes, put them in your clothes bag, pack the amp back into the box and check it in; you should be all right.

Super-Admin likes this.
  3. marooned

marooned New Member

only the guitar in cabin baggage is allowed. i've done it but the last time i did that was in 2008, so unless the rules have changed. it should be allowed with a laptop bag also as laptop bag is classified as "items of personal use" something like a purse.

about which airlines, i dont think it matters are all of them have similar rules. however, in my experience kingfisher is are usually good in going the extra mile to sort you out.

which are the cities you're moving between?

Super-Admin likes this.
  4. deepsal

deepsal New Member

Do not even think about carrying your tube amps an a plane they ****in throw things it'l be ****ed
    btw which tube amp do you own?