Fretting Fingers

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rizaaj, Dec 4, 2004.

1. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

Hey Guys, I wana know that is that any safety measure that we can take to protect our fretting fingers, i mean to say that is there any thing we can wear while playing a guitar???

bcoz im playing the guitar from last 18 months continuously, and had a break for jus 3 weeks hardly, and now my left hand fingers(the Fretting Fingers) have become hard rock, and if you talk about finger prints, then i don't have any on 1/4th part of my left hand fingers...

Any Help? any Suggestion? Any thing welcomed

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Well they should become harder than your right-hand fingers but not rock hard. I have finger prints all over my left hand fingers and I've been playing for over 4 years now.

You might be using a lot more force to fret the notes than may be required. Try and clean up your technique. Once you get past the beginner stage, you find out that you may need a lot less force and precise fretting.

I'm not sure what you can wear to protect your fingers. Any kind of gloves for instance make playing practically impossible because they mute other strings and make stretches difficult. I've seen a 'Black Crowes' guitarist use some kind of metal tube over his pinky because a particular song he plays requires barres with the pinky, but I don't know what else you can do.

3. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

but y man..these fingers are what differentiates us guitarists from others.. ;)

Practice, practice, practice. Practiceuntil you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers. Then you'll know you're on to something!
    - Ted Nugent

4. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

@dmf, i think he was joking abt the fingerprints.. :)

5. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

no man really i was serious about the finger prints, i really dont have any on the front part of my fretting fingers, but i think your information will be useful,, thanx buddy

yes i do really press hard inorder to get the best sound, should i not do that???

6. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

wow man you must've been practising really hard
    If it made u lose fingerprints, be proud of it!

7. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Yes pressing harder than necessary is not advisable. Just press hard enough not to get a muted note. Accuracy, not force is the key.

8. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

well than im proud of myself :D

9. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Be proud of yourself bro, but remember, dont press down too hard. It'll reduce your finger strength and stamina as you play through a song.

10. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

check the bridge action of your guitar.. maybe its too high.. my left fingers are also hard.. but i got finger prints dude.. and homeland security also has them now.. :mad: :mad:

in anycase i dont play any lead.. i just strum chords.. on an acoustic..

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

If u have ever heard Sabbath,Tommi Iommi uses rubber pads at the end of his fingers...but thts cuz his fingers got cut off when he was workin in a factory....u might wanna check out the reunion DVD if u get the chance to do so...u might get some tips on how to protect em....damn no fingerprints..ur in trouble man!

12. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

my finger prints dont matter much, coz they are left hand fingers, and thumb is perfect which is needed some times. anyways i have my own signature so i might not need fingerprints sumtimez