Fretboard Diagram - Some help to memorise it

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Nanda, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Fretboard Diagram - Some help to memorise it(Corrected)

Hey ppl .. All of us know what ever we play .. Knowing the fretboard throughout is really helpful ...
    I wanted to memorise the fretboard .. so last night i sat down drawing the reference .. Finally eneded up tearing 4 pages ...
    So today at work when i was jobless thought i'll do it ... so I altered some stuffs available .. to give diffrent views .. Wanted to do another view .. But ohh !!! Ditch it guess this is enough for now ...
    If there ARE GREAT GUYS out here who think this is JUNK .. It's NOT meant for u so get the hell outta this thread ....
    Hope it will help the newbies ...

Take a print of fretboard .. guess it can help..
    And also learn the CIRCLE OF FIFTHS ..
    where the strings go like E A D G B E in a circle ....

Attached Files:

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

it takes time
    it would have really helped if you had learned musical notations
    u can learn the notes on the fith 7th frets wth the markers and them fill in the gaps
    it wont be of much use unless you know scales
    that would take years i guess

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Your cirlce of fifth is wrong. A is the perfect fourth of E and D is the perfect fourth of A. I am not going to correct this now. You find out the mistake and post again with corrections.

4. ronnieanand

There are lots of techniques to memorize the fretboard.

1. Learn the dotted positions and try to relate the other positions with respect to these dotted positions.

2. Learn the Magic triangle. There's a small triangle with same notes. Google and get info on this. I dont feel like drawing the fretboard with this text, that's why I am not putting it here. Anyway you should get that info in the web.

3. Octaves. Find out where the octaves. Usually it's two string below and 2 frets away. Remember the G&B strings are different.

4. 5 Fret difference when you go from strings high to low and 7 Fret differencde when you go from strings low to high.

This is all I know. Maybe somebody can add to this further.

One exercice I used to do.

1. Chose a note like A and then set your metronome to a speed of about 60bpm or to any comfortable speed and with each click play the note A in all the strings. Increase the speed and keep doing it. As the speed increases, you dont have much time to think about the note. It just has to come and it will come with practice.

2. Do it with all the notes.

3. Form Simple Words using the letters ABCDEFG. I make words like BAD, DAD, BAG, BADE, BEED, etc... Then with the metronome I try to play the words in each string. Take the word BADE. It will be B in E string, A in B string, D in G string, E in D string and then back to the word again with B in A string, A in low E string and then D in high E string and E in B string and repeat it in a circle. This one is pretty tough. Your thought has to be much much faster than the metrnome click because, this time you will have to think about different notes. Try this with different sentences.

4. Make some more interesting exercises using Sharps and Flats. This whole exercise will give you ultimate memory of the Fretboard. Guaranteed. If you can pull everything off together in about 150 bpm, you are pretty well off.

5. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Ok fine dude .. I have ready made snap of the scales i'll post them ..
    But the angle is wierd .. And i am not in mood to make a new diagram my self ..
    The first one is the major scale ..

Where red is root ..

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
  6. jekyll

jekyll Banned

hehe

nanda nice effort ...

:)

7. ronnieanand

The first one is a F# Locrian Scale and the second one is a B Phryggian Scale :)

Anyway all the key of G Major. Since the shapes are moveable you can use the same shape all across the neck by transposing them in different keys.

8. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

whoa!

that really went over ma head!
    :think:

9. ronnieanand

Sorry it was A Dorian not B Phryggian. Only the third was B Phryggian. Still within the context of G Major.

10. jekyll

jekyll Banned

more precisely G Ionian ... because i feel that Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian can be termed as major sounding scales ...

Aeolian, Phrygian, Dorian, Locrian are more Minor sounding :grin:

my personal feelings ... but then i guess many ppl will feel the same after listening to those scales ...

11. ronnieanand

I guess your major sounding and minor sounding thing is because of the intervellaic difference of the first three notes. For Ionian, Mixolydian and Lydian, the first three notes are full tones apart. Gives that major kinda look and feel.

The remaining modes are all over in 4 frets for the first three notes. I mean they all end up in the minor 3rd.

I am just trying to voice out something I haven't thought about before but kinda looks obvious. Correct if any mistakes.

12. jekyll

jekyll Banned

oh yeah correct :grin: now that u make a mention, i remember: it is because of the third note in the scale ... that makes it major or minor sounding ...

hey how will u classify phrygian dominant scale? the third one is 3rd but all the other notes in the scales are wierd ... ;)
    and then there is one more improvisation over taht scale - phrygian dom scale with the 7th note sharpened ... it sounds very indian kinda ... dunno the name (or even if it is a standard scale)

13. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

What the feck are you guys talking about?

14. ronnieanand

Whoever you are :nw: :nw: .

For me it's all :shock: :confused: :insane: :Worried:

15. jekyll

jekyll Banned

well to me u deserve :nw:
    coz i had even forgotten the 3rd note thing for major minor sounds ... but u were quite prompt to respond ...

not that i know much about music ...
    except all the modes n maj, dim, min, dom 7, maj 7, min 7 n maj/min7 chords ... thats it
    saala i dont even know the augmented chords ... :cry1:

16. shak

shak Harrr!

its neva too late too learn ^

nice info guys .. i think the thread should go sticky

17. jekyll

jekyll Banned

LMAO ...
    u know y i dont know about the aug chords?

thats coz i ran outta patience with all the theory :p:

guess i ll havta sit down one day n finish my lessons ;)

18. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

ionian lyndian......
    arent they different positions of a scale?

19. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Ionian is C D E F G A B
    Lydian is F G A B C D E which when transposed to C becomes C D E F# G A B

so u see they are different

20. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

augmented chords is just the root,3rd note sharpened and the 5th note sharpened.