Forum Help

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by rockin'away, Apr 5, 2005.

1. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

i got a forum with bbfree.... but wen i post a message and advert comes below my message.... how to i get rid of it?

2. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

actually it sorted.... but wen i have a forum on IPB how do i upload pips and skins and stuff like that?

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

There are options to upload those under Admin CP. I don't remember exactly but it might be Board Settings or something like that.

4. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

and i was wondering is bbfree actually good... because lots of people are saying it aint....

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Well bbfree is actually a hosting service for forum software like Invision. They also provide Invision pre-configured so that you do not have to mess with mySQL databases and PHP scripting to get it configured and working properly.

First of all the banner. I personally hate banners. I'd rather pay for my own hosting service than deal with a crap banner that takes focus away from my actual site. Secondly, control; Installing mods is not as easy on bbFree as if you had your own server. You have to send the mods to the bbFree staff who will approve it and then let you upload it. If you are on a tight budget and have limited experience with PHP and mySQL go for it, otherwise I strongly recommend setting up your own board.

On that note sites like 100Webspace.com offer free sites with mySQL and PHP support so you can setup your own forum there for free if you like. But once again you will have the banner ad to consider.

6. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

i dont think i up for php scripting.... it aint that easy... is it?