Form/function - favorite/best Guitar shape

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Mar 7, 2012.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why can't the guitar makers get this (ergonomics/functionality/practicality) right?

(I will come back to this thread - have some errands right now).
    Meanwhile post your favorites

2. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

I seriously don't know sh!t about form/function.
    I have an Epiphone LP Special II. Where will that be categorised?

3. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

I am good to go with any shape as long as i get the following:

1) Good visibility of all the string while standing and playing. The fender shape really gives a great visibility..
    2) Comfortable while sitting and playing.
    3) Good enough space for resting ur palm on the bridge

My fender and Ibanez both give me these. Love those for these reasons too...

4. wylder

wylder Member

Ibanez RG

Pros:
    - The shape is awesome when standing and playing as it is big enough to be snug with your body yet not too uncomfortably so
    - Upper fret access is amazing with the deep cutaway and All Access Neck joint
    - One hell of a tremolo if you love Floyd-Rose bridges (I'd take an Original Edge over an OFR any day)
    - Very comfortable necks for styles that involve a lot of movement along the length of the neck. They have some of the thinnest necks available(Wizard/SuperWizard)

Cons:
    - Too many sharp edges hence the finish is prone to chipping
    - Neck may not suit styles that are chord-work intensive (like jazz) as they are pretty thin and your palm will fatigue easily
    - Basswood models (most common) may not offer the best clean tones. Alder/ash has more chime while Mahogany is more mellow.

5. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Infact i feel thinner neck is better for chord switching. I have a Frank Gambale series guitar and he is one of the greatest Jazz player...

6. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

a strat shape is the best shape in everything except "style" for some people

7. wylder

wylder Member

Not if you need to reach the 24th fret... Oh wait - there is no 24th fret on a strat!!

I guess shape is a personal choice thing and the one thing that really matters is how used you are to the particular guitar - in other words, practice. So when you find the one that works for you, make sure you stick with it.

If you think you can't shred on a thick Les Paul neck go watch Zakk Wylde and Randy Rhoads shred the living hell out of fat Gibson necks. If you think pointy guitars can't be good for blues, listen to Albert King on a Flying V.

8. wylder

wylder Member

I guess that again the factor of being used to a guitar comes into play.

But from my personal experience while playing jazzy chords, I think its easier when the neck to fills the arc between my thumb and index finger. This gives a better grip of the neck. On thinner necks all that grip comes from my tiny thumb pressing the neck down. So the thumb and the wrist fatigue quicker.

BTW, I don't think the Sabers/S-series and Frank Gambale FGM series are the same. That would be like calling any RG a Steve Vai JEM or John Petrucci JPM. The artist models are produced by Team J-Craft and gets a lot stricter QA check and manual finishing.

9. amithkallupalam

amithkallupalam New Member

If i get to build a custom, full out metal guitar Id build a -
    ESP HORIZON body, mahogany with quilted(preferred) or flamed maple top. Thick white binding that can be seen by looking at the body of the guitar.
    Reindeer Blue finish.
    Seymour duncan TH-6B and SH-6n
    Really thin neck with 24 frets. Ebony fretboard, standard esp horizon neck, two volume and two tone knobs.

It should look like THIS what seymour duncan distortion! https://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p522/againsttheflame/ESP Guitars/esp_0101.jpg
    https://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p522/againsttheflame/ESP Guitars/esp_0102.jpg
    The ESP Guitar Company | 2012 USA Website

Dream guitar.... I wish I get it someday... :)

EDIT: TONEPROS WITH STRING THROUGH

10. guitarplayer729

why didnt u just write the model name

11. wylder

wylder Member

12. guitarplayer729

13. wylder

wylder Member

A company that pays me for checking IGT at work :p

14. guitarplayer729

how much did ur rg cost u btw

15. wylder

wylder Member

About 34k used... But I was lucky as hell to find one for sale. I saw it, tried it and had no second thoughts on it...

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

What about the cable entry?
    ??

Not given a thought? Except Fender Strat - all the guitars have cable entry RIGHT where it will interfere when you sit down.
    As of now, I can see only Fender Strat, Ibanez S seris, and Gibson Flying V with socket ON the face of the guitar body (no interference), rather than the edge/side/corner.

17. wylder

wylder Member

They expect you to get angled jacks.