For beginners: Playing the basic 7 chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by har1s, Oct 31, 2005.

1. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

For Beginners : Playing The Basic 7 Chords (With image illustrations) (In the .zip file)

Hi all!! In this thread, u will learn how to hold the basic 7 chords...A,B,C,D,E,F, and G.
    (When writing this thread, i assumed that you know how to read guitar tablature).

Finger Key: Index finger/first finger: 1
    Middle finger/second finger: 2
    Ring finger/third finger: 3
    Pinky/fourth or smallest finger: 4
    Note: x = mute

A Chord.
    <x02220>
    In tablature form:

e-0---
    B-2--- <--use finger 3 here
    G-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    D-2--- <--use finger 1 here
    A-0---
    E-x---
    PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT NAMED "A" TO GET AN IDEA ABOUT PRESSING THE FINGERS ON THE RIGHT FRETS.

B Chord.
    <x24442>
    In tablature form:

e-2--- <--use finger 1 here
    B-4--- <--use finger 3 here OR finger 4
    G-4--- <--use finger 3 here OR finger 3
    D-4--- <--use finger 3 here OR finger 2
    A-2--- <--use finger 1 here
    E-x---
    This is a barre chord. Here you barre the 2nd fret with finger 1, in other words, you use finger 1 to press on ALL the strings on fret 2. Please see the attached picture to get what im saying.
    PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT NAMED "B"and "B2" TO GET AN IDEA ABOUT PRESSING THE FINGERS ON THE RIGHT FRETS.

C Chord
    <032010>
    In tablature form:

e-0---
    B-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    G-0---
    D-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    A-3--- <--use finger 3 here
    E-0---
    PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT NAMED "C" TO GET AN IDEA ABOUT PRESSING THE FINGERS ON THE RIGHT FRETS.

D Chord
    <xx0232>

e-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    B-3--- <--use finger 3 here
    G-2--- <--use finger 1 here
    D-0---
    A-x---
    E-x---
    PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT NAMED "D" TO GET AN IDEA ABOUT PRESSING THE FINGERS ON THE RIGHT FRETS.

E Chord
    <022100>

e-0---
    B-0---
    G-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    D-2--- <--use finger 3 here
    A-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    E-0---
    PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT NAMED "E" TO GET AN IDEA ABOUT PRESSING THE FINGERS ON THE RIGHT FRETS.

F Chord
    <133211>

e-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    B-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    G-2--- <--use finger 2 here
    D-3--- <--use finger 4 here
    A-3--- <--use finger 3 here
    E-1--- <--use finger 1 here
    This is a barre chord. Here you barre the 1st fret with finger 1, in other words, you use finger 1 to press on ALL the strings on fret 1. Please see the attached picture to get what im saying.
    PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT NAMED "F" TO GET AN IDEA ABOUT PRESSING THE FINGERS ON THE RIGHT FRETS.

G Chord
    <320003>

e-3--- <--use finger 3 here
    B-0---
    G-0---
    D-0---
    A-2--- <--use finger 1 here
    E-3--- <--use finger 2 here
    PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT NAMED "G" TO GET AN IDEA ABOUT PRESSING THE FINGERS ON THE RIGHT FRETS.

NOTE: Before playing the chord, pluck each string separately while holding the chord and check if any of the strings are muted or not.

Regards, har1s.

Attached Files:

rizaaj and anshphenomenon like this.
  2. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

no comments?? :think:

3. jozko

jozko Banned

This is very useful and real good effort. very well illustrated, well arranged. keep it up. Please post more stuff like these. don't be discouraged by lack of responses.

4. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

thnx @ jozko....im glad u liked it

J_a_L likes this.
  5. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

good info!!!
    reps 4u!!
    :beer:

6. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

thanx @ansh

7. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

neeed feedback plz...this is my 1st lesson!!

8. DJCrunkMix

DJCrunkMix Get crunked up!

my ring finger and pinky messes up when I play F chord. The first segment of the finger is almost 90 degree from the remaining 2 segments. I dont know why this happens and its very difficult to play F chord in the begining. Now, i think i got hold of the F chord. :)

9. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

ahan....well u can search for some hand exercises on IGT...they... initiate individuality in ur fingers.... so tht makes it easy 2 play chords like F...

10. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

This A chord,.. shdnt it be <<0023pinky0>> ??

11. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

man... a major is <x02220> the easiest way 2 play it is the one i told.... i dont know abt the chord ur talkin abt... i only know a major as 577655 and x02220 ....

12. akkyy21

akkyy21 #%@!$&

arreyy.... sorry sorry....

hehe,..

I meant to point out the finger positions,... n not the frets as i posted above,....

13. har1s

har1s <b>Untitled</b>

o yaaar...doesnt matter if u use fingers 1-2-3 or 2-3-4 ....which ever is more convenient

14. DJCrunkMix

DJCrunkMix Get crunked up!

I use 2-3-4 for A because to play A# or Bb , you just have to slide one fret down. Also, I tried to use 3-2-4 for G so that its easier to switch from G to C, but didnt work out for me :(.