Foo fighters ... Wht it means..

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Nanda, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Somne one once mentioned that the name is crap ...
    This is a peice of information to all the jerks who called it crap ...
    source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_fighter

The term foo fighter was used by Allied aircraft pilots in World War II to describe various UFOs or mysterious aerial phenomena seen in the skies over Europe and the Pacific theatre. Contemporary witnesses often assumed that the foo fighters were secret weapons employed by the enemy. Despite these fears, foo fighters (whatever they might have been) were apparently never reported to have harmed or tried to harm anyone.

Though usually thought of as blobs of light or fire, several different types of reported phenomena were classed as "foo fighters".

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

welll
    anyway i always wondered what fetish do the programmers have with this word?

always using like
    char *foo;
    class CFoo{};

etc ... always seem to be using foo as variable name ... does anyone have an answer for that?

3. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Shouldnt this be on the trivia thread?

4. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey nice point ... never noticed it .. but there should be some significance ... now that u pointed out even i am wondering why !

5. ReBoRn

ReBoRn New Member

foo fighters! hmm...yeah i read this somewhere but not wikipedia!

6. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

actually....at some location in france, the allied forces and the germans both started firing cannons at a shiny object in the sky thinking it was some secret enemy aircraft....in reality it was the planet Venus rising early in the morning....!!:):)...guess the war really gets to ya..hehe:)....so anyway..those soldiers who shot at a mythical enemy and forgot about the real threat were called foofighters...this was the first incident...i guess it happened many times during the war....the US probably called it "mysterious phenomena" to cover their stupidity...:)