Folk Music made fun of at the Battle of bands!

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by notty_lad, May 6, 2006.

1. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

I attended the battle of bands here at Pune Central .. Where a band from Banaras named Talaash was laughed at by a big bunch of audience.

Now agreed they were an Incomplete band with Two acoustic guitars n percussion .. No electric .. No drums ..

They announced that They don't have Electric guitars like others n Drummer .. But They Have Songs .. n with those Songs is a Message .. n That is all that is important..

The first thing they announced was they're a Hindi folk band .. to which public was like disgusted .. Most of the crowd were headbangers (atleast near the stage)

They played a Cover Piya Basanti and Two originals ..

Believe me one of the song they had composed(cudn't hear the second was on phone) was brilliantly composed .. really very Touching and had a strong message ..
    The female singer was definitely professional (later I came to know she had sung in Sa re ga ma)
    but the "cool" crowd were like WTF man .. yelling disgust .. This is the same crowd which was rocking and headbanging on songs in which vocals were hardly clear n audible .. n which were covers ..

Is it like Only High distortion music .. n Headbanging stuff is cool ? n don't u think listeners should expand their horizon's a li'l n respect creativity ?

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I know what you mean. It is sad that good music and talent is not appriciated. Any body can sound good with a whole array of efects. Thats why I keep saying take of the effects give the guitarist an accoustic guitar and ask the keyboard player to play without effects too then lets see how good they sound. This is what actualy makes Van Halen, Slash, Ritchie Blackmore, Allan Holdworths, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Kirk Hammet, Stev Stevens ext ext GREAT GUITARIST.
    I remmber around ten years back when I had attended THE MOOD INDIGO elmination rounds, I seen this band from Pune ( dont remmber thier name), play some great originals and some nice covers of Jef Beck and CREAM''s SUNSINE OF YOUR LOVE whihc they coverd beautifully with an extended guitar solo and the crowd just BOOED them to my and my friends horror. All the crowd wanted was METALLICA, MEGADETH AND SLAYER. No offence to those bands who covered Metallica, Megadeth and SLayer but here was a band who played good and great music . Sighhhhhh

3. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Its just the wrong audience to the band. I mean try putting "infernal wrath" on some classical or folk concert. You'll get similer but less aggressive responses.

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I agree, but that is what is so sad abouth the whole situatio. I know we all have are own musical tastes and like and dislikes, but hteir is something that is CALLED GOOD MUSIC, and music that is played by very TALENTED musicans, no mater whihc field of music they belong too. There is alo crapy and untalented music from every musical field.

5. paati

paati New Member

notty_lad you went to the wrong concert. you were the odd man out.
    you were the only person there sympathizing for a band which no one else over there cared about..
    are u a folksie bollywood copied music kinda person, but a rock wannabe?
    you got to figure out your priorities and hang around with people with your kind of tastes :)

6. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

There's no such thing as "good" music. Its all completely subjective .Its also possible to hate talented music. For example, i know that tarja from nightwish is talented, but i still hate her.

Thats why they went there and thats what they like more. Whats wrong with that?

7. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

rock shows are useless to attend .. unless u really have to pass time .. abt 90% of the audience doesnt get a word (me included) .. yet act like theyve been taken over by the music .. the so called originals hardly have any originality, and are generally counted as one more song.

my band played some crappy original in the most crappiest of ways (vocalist's voice cracked bigtime .. and my distortion guitar wasnt audible) .. and surprise surprise .. audience were actually headbanging .. haha what a joke .. that day made me realize a few things

8. aysh

then u have ppl like ^^these to worsen the situation

9. paati

paati New Member

and people who cant spell S A R C A S M

10. aysh

we respect ur sarcastic skills ..

11. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

I am a neutral guy from the Audience for yo kind info .. I really loved the Resonance band who played Pearl Jam n ACDC.. The lead guitarist was cool gave great leads ! .. also I liked a small young band SoS's lead guit who played Metallica leads in a cool way ..

n It was a battle of bands .. It was not some kind of rock show .. I know where to hang out .. n what music is .. Holding 1 chord all the while n banging it wid full distortion n other effects all the time .. n headbanging wid long hair .. come on .. no where near to the Creative Melodic Composition ..

Atleast be neutral ..

12. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Well, Boo hoo. It's real sad that they got booed, but they should atleast have had the sense to do some audience analysis before playing at a gig. If you ever played Britney spears covers to me i'd shoot holes in your head, does this mean i'm bad audience? Hell no, it just means that, this kind of music doesnt appeal to me. That was the case with this audience too though from your account most of them seem like a bunch of poseur crap, but that's a whole different story altogether. Do not trash metal or a metal audience for disrespecting a 'folk music enterprise', that's just how it's going to be.

13. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

There's nothing wrong with that .. But whats with the booing, laughing and degrading on music which was highly creative with quality singing and a Message .. ?

Lets be fair the audience(40-50% u can say) was ignorant .. n would u call them people wid a good sense of music ?

I have friendz from abroad who don't even know hindi properly .. but still they enjoy creative n good stuff in hindi ..

14. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^40-50%, how about 99%? So they were ignorant and you are enlightened? And i hope you understand the purpose of booing is to make your displeasure heard. It is your opinion that the music was highly creative and what not, not theirs. They didnt like the music and they expressed their honest opinion about music. I honestly dont see anything wrong with that. Having said that i of course understand that being booed off stage isnt the most pleasant thing in this world, but with a crowd, it's that way, they like they cheer you, they dont they boo you off.

15. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

LOL .. I'm gonna Cover a Britney cover n send it to yo mail :p: ..

Well .. Yo point well taken .. But it was a band competition in which they were free to play anything .. No matter how the audience reacted .. Judges gave them a joint 3rd .. (There was prize only for 1st though n nor were the other bands announced.. I later asked a judge bout Talaash n they said joint 3rd) .. Obviously the judges had good knowledge bout moozik .. n While prize distribution they said that

"Talaash are very creative n lets give them an applause for their creativity.. but its not a full fledged band so they have to work on it .. "

So I guess such reactions from audience is normal .. Though I would never Trash Metal or other such stuff when i'm in a concert .. I'l try to understand the music they're playing ..

16. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Not only Mine .. but The Judges too .. They were well qualified to judge ..

17. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

hmm is it disturbed dudes nature to be angry and to alwez quarell...??? :think:

anewez - yeh talaash is nice - but the one i kno of are from bombay - and they do have a drumer - they are hindi rock though
    and yes a agree wid notty - distortion infact isnt music at all -its all pretty poserish u kno...but when u come out to hed bang drink and lisen to thumpin music - classic guitars can be dissapointing...

18. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Nopes .. u got him wrong ..

Its just that Disturbed is one of the staunchest Discussant here on IGT with strong views .. a thing that I admire in him and a few people here ..

n Though they might look like fights on the face of it .. They're absolutely NOT .. n No one holds a grudge or scorn against anyone .. because --

The purpose of a discussion is not success .. Its progress !

19. vishalj

vishalj Banned

I love folk music and I only have Nick Drake to thank for moving me in that direction

20. vishalj

vishalj Banned

The crowds still want Metallica, Megadeath and Slayer. Kinda sad if you ask me.