Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Recording..Need Help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Feb 7, 2012.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Good news Recording interface arrived :)
    Bad news. Not recorded anything yet :(

It came bundled with Ableton Live software which is DIFFICULT to use and i have given up on it for Time being(need to learn from videos on their site). So i ended up installing Adobe Auditions which was suggested to me and which is great and easy to use..

I can record clean tones but i need Distortion effect. Delay reverb chorus are good in Adobe Audition. They color the recorded tone appropriately. But Guitar suite in it whch has Distortion is just bad.

I tried using Amplitube but it aint working or probably i dont know how to use it.

Here is what i am planning to do. Any Do's and Dont's would be helpful:

1) GUITAR --> Rec Out/Headphones out on Roland Microcube --> Interface --> Adobe Auditions

2) Guitar --> Pedals --> Laney Cub --> Line Out --> Interface --> Adobe Auditions

3) Guitar --> Sansamp tri Ac --> Interface --> Adobe Auditions

4) Guitar --> Digitech Grunge(Mixer Out) --> Interface --> Adobe Auditions

I just dont want to end up blowing my interface. Just wanted to make sure if i can make use of any the above mentioned. Is there anything else that I can try..

2. wylder

wylder Member

Of the above, I have tried the Line out from my Laney LC15. It works fine but since this takes the signal before the power amp stage, the tone is a little extra fuzzy and shrill.

I am awaiting a M-Audio Fast Track which is in the mail.
    I guess the best method might be Amp -> Mic (ala Shure SM57) -> Interface

Anyways, I don't think you will blow up the interface as long as you use a Line/Rec/Mixer out going into the Line level input for your interface. To be on the safe side, keep all gain/volumes at zero before plugging in and slowly increase your amp/pedal volume till the signal level is fine on the monitors.

3. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

I would never go with Option 2 that you have mentioned.

Options 1, 3 and 4 look safe to me though, But as wylder mentioned its better to take the microphone route to get the real tone man :)

4. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Well i will wait for trying out the options 1,2,3 and 4 mentioned by me. Coz the amplitube has started working i was missing out on the input/output settings initially. Tried it out with both Adobe Auditions as well as ableton live. The fender amp effects are simply toooo good...
    The clean effects with delay and reverb on few of the amps are heavenly....Most of the metal presets that that i tried were not great. but there are many more that i havent yet checkd and i am sure there will be sumthing better. But overdrive and cleans are just way to good.....

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

It probably has VST plugin for Ableton/Adobe.

Set the input to Line on the Scarlett.

Check the specs of the device you're sending to the Scarlett and set the input on the Scarlett appropriately. And as advised, gain at 0 before plugging in.