Floyd Rose on Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by blackmamba, Jan 2, 2005.

?

Should I put a Floyd Rose Bridge on my Les Paul?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2005.
  1. Yes - Would make it more versatile!

20.0%
  2. No Way Jose - That whould be the shite!

80.0%
  3. Can't Decide (I don't know what either a Les Paul or a Floyd Rose is)!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Need some help here. I am contemplating putting a Floyd Rose (original Lo-Profile model - not one of that patented cr*p) floating bridge. Now, do you guys think its a good idea or not? Thought a poll might help me consider/ditch the idea.

Cheers!

P.S. Any idea putting a locking nut would be possible?

2. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

just hold on dude, dont be in hurry, experts will comment on it soon....

3. shak

shak Harrr!

the lp is not designed for floyd rose .... you must be out of your mind to destroy a lp and not only a lp but a CUSTOM!..this https://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm website seems to have a fr bridge for a lp but the guy himself admits that he is yet to see this bridge installed on a les paul....and remember its not only a bride that is to be installed but you will also have to modify the neck to install a locking nut....."IF" you find a correct size nut that is!!!...so i say forget it..go experiment epiphone or some other cheap imitation but dont you touch that custom model!!!!

4. shak

shak Harrr!

ooops ..sorry found one ugly looking lp with floyd rose https://www.bananas.com/multimedia/articles/FullImage/73.jpg but remember this is a cusotm made lp with the floyd rose installed by cusotm shop luthiers..so unless you are getting yours done by qualified professional ... i would still sayforget it!

5. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Thanks Shahrukh. Musiciandfriend sells Les pauls with Floyd Roses :) So, it's not that its not possible. But the points to consider (and you're right) are the facts that would a locking nut be possible to install? Regarding Luthiers, I don't see that as a problem. Know a good one here at Denmark Street in London who could do the job. And, the guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty) not a Gibson :)

Thanks for that pic...have seen it before ...its a Neal Schon proto...very famous in the LP circle.

The only reason I wanna put the floyd is so that I don't have to carry my Jem AND the LP around. With the LP I can have best of both worlds...but frankly speaking, I don't like Floyd Roses too much....:)

6. shak

shak Harrr!

oh...if its black beauty...dont you think that adding a floyd rose with those three pickups will make the axe a bit heavy to carry around....heheh ...naaa only jokin...seems like you have done a lot of research already..so go ahead if the the guys at the denmark street give you a thumbs up...and do post the pic of your guitar when you are done!

7. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Sure will shahrukh. Its kinda expensive though to get it done. I was thinking of doing it on my next trip to Mumbai later this month and get it done from a luthier there (only if they are absolutely sure). Will keep you guys posted!

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i somehow am not in too much of a favour of FRs...tho they do make the sound sound good....but methinks (gonna get a lot of heat for this) that Frs are something which avg. or below avg musicians use to make their music sound good..am not speakin of vai or satch or other greats..but just gets me to think..what did people do b4 tremolo bars came into being....plus that on a LP..thats blasphemy...

9. shak

shak Harrr!

fl on lp is blasphemy...well said @drsaurabh

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Suicide.......Aaarrrrggghhhhh Floyd Rose on Les Paul. Rather buy an Ibanez to satisfy your FR thirst. By the way Floyd Rose will tend to get the sustain of your LP down.
    Tune o Matic rocks :)

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey,
    Dont you think asking for vote to decide is wierd. How can others decide on what you should have on your guitar. If you want FR on LP, just go ahead. Neil Schon of Journey uses it. I dont think anybody will deny the greatness of Neil Schon. Just voicing my opinion.

12. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Thanks ronnie. That was helpful. Anyway, the reason for the poll was to understand what you guys felt about it. I now have your views which will help me decide.

Regarding buying an Ibanez for my FR thirst :)))...well I do own a JEM 777 and have owned a RG 270DX, RG470DX, RG250DX, JEM 555 in the past so....that's not the point. I wanted to have the LP feel and still be able to dive-bomb. I believe that's what Neil Schon voiced in one of his interviews too...so....

Anyway...thanks for your inputs.

Cheers!

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

dude u got enuf gear.......jsut go for a variax..

14. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Dont do that, buy an ibanez instead....
    And why dont u put on a bigsby, that looks alot better on LPs and u dont need to modify half of the guitar.

15. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

dont think its worth putting a fr on a lp.... an lp is a vintage guitar - i wouldnt spoil its looks - only my opinion....

16. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@black mamba....did u sell ur JEM? for how much? ...and do u have LP now?

17. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Well, I had 2 JEMS - JEM 777 and the JEM 555. I have sold the JEM 555 for a good price of £500 here in the UK. Yes I do have a Black Custom Les Paul which I have owned for the last 1 year. In addition I have another Epiphone Black Beauty Custom Les Paul at my place in Mumbai which I am selling. I don't play that much and my only audience is my 10 month old daughter :)

Cheers!

18. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

I agree and I have now decided not to go the Schon way :) Thanks guys for all your comments and inputs!

19. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

good choice...this is something u might be interested in thoguh - there do seem to be some really good locknig systems avaialble for headstocks.... im not too sure at this - u might want to check it out.... also, if ur interested - along with this - if thats avaialble - u mgiht want to go for a small floating bridge and get it installed right so u dont ruin its vintage looks.... it sounds like a good way tro get wat u want - without the big fr! u can still maintain an almost exact lp look! check it out and tell me