Floyd Rose Enquiry

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sayanakaharry, Aug 22, 2005.

1. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

i have copy of the steve vai JEM7v, but it has a spring system hadn tremolo unit instread of a floyd rose. it was bought in a time of ignorance and i very soon found out the tremolo was unusable. one push at the whammy bar and the guitr would go out of tune. what i want to know is that can a regular spring tremolo system be used without this trouble? also, can i substitute it with a floyd rose bridge, and what is the cost of floyd rose tremolo bridge in india?

2. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

i dont think u can substitute it with a floyd rose bridge .. coz they are supposed to be floating bridges unlike the fixed bridge u have

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

You can have Floyd Rose installed in your guitar. You get these Chinese made Licenced Floyd Rose for a six string guitar for about 4.5K which includes installation. Since your guitar has a fixed bridge, the luthier will have to make a cavity in the body of your guitar to install the Floyd Rose.

4. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

i have a gut feeling that tampering with a guitar that way could only harm it ..
    wud it sound as good as an originally installed floyd rose ?

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Nemo Yes. A good luthier would do a good job.

@sayanakaharry. If you wanted a two way tremelo, then get a Floyd Rose fitted. If getting out of tune is the only problem, then get yourself Gotoh Locking tuners. They most cost about $60 but will do a good job of holding the guitar in tone. One of my friend has this in his Fender Strat and I was amazed to see the guitar be in tune for several months.

sayanakaharry likes this.
  6. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

@ronnie
    the reason why my guitar goes out of tune is that when i use the whammy bar, the bridge sometimes doesn't return to the original position. in that case, will the locking tuners help??

7. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Does anyone know a good luthier in bangalore. The Schaller Mini Locking tuners is about 50$ for a set.

You gotta check ou these. I saw it on the cover of the D'Addario strings set i use.
    Planet Waves Auto Trim Tuners

These tuners feature a built in string cutter and individua string clamps. Sold in a set of 6 left inline or 6 right inline or in a set of 3L+3R.

8. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Planet Waves Auto Trim Tuners

Attached Files: