Firefox 2.0 Vs. IE 7

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by alpha1, Oct 27, 2006.

1. shak

shak Harrr!

zune is a joke ... i dont know what kind of fairy world microsoft live in, they plan to take over the ipod with that piece of junk?

the software doesnt work, the hardware is relatively mediocre ... and it has a microsoft label on it *throws up hands*..

2. zing

zing Machine Head

in the words of the da man himself linus torvalds

whats true abt w95 is still true abt xp/vista/ie7/whatever - i get at least 5-10 "this program has encountered an unexpected error and will close down" every day at work thru no fault of mine on the latest n greatest [n naturally most expensive] windows apps - the only difference is now they also say "sorry for the inconvenience" hah!

what beats me is how can my organization tolerate such poor performance after investing big $$$

imagine, wud u take it if ur car broke down 5 times on ur way to work - EVERY DAY????????????????

3. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Blue windscreen of death.

"Gearbox not detected. Update drivers to continue ahead.
    To resolve the conflict, click Hardware Troubleshooter and follow the instructions in the wizard."

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:think: :dance:

5. zing

zing Machine Head

"Close all open windows and re-open them again."

6. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Send Error report/ Don't send .. haha

7. zicky5608

zicky5608 Power Shortage

Hm..these messages bug me alot.

They don't occur in other OS usually?

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Never encounter on AIX or Solaris or Linux in my four years of college stay.

9. sumantmodak

sumantmodak Musically Yours !!!

offnote thou. but here is some thoughts from my side.

if you are a MS technologies programmer you must be knowing a product called Delphi. nope it was not from microsoft. but it was one of the first good attempts for a rapid application development for windows. it has same features as vb same robustness same flexibility and what i heared is exe runs lot faster but you know what happens ??? MS Came out with Vb4-5-6 and killed it with the marketing strength they have. delphi on the other hand still have some followers left but as the .net era came kicked lots of other programming languages to hell. delphi.net arrives as well

so the thing is MARKETING !!! if you can sell a bald person a comb you must be a billionaire and thats what bill is , love it or hate it that man has some amazing statergies and thats why he is there, personally i like firefox but i still think that for developers IE gives some features that firefox still will have to wait for few more versions to offer the same

10. zing

zing Machine Head

yeah if u can call destroying others' creative ventures a strategy.....
    hmm like what exactly?

11. loyal

loyal New Member

Firefox is feature rich and standards compliant, IE7 crashes sometimes on updated legal copies. Send/Dont send Error report prevails !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    IMHO firefox is the prefered browser among the programming community.

12. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

But aren't the browsers mostly used by the end users?

A programmer rather has to write programs which support all major browsers!?

13. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I hate IE7.......Microsoft wants to validate the Windows copy before the installation........That's crap.......

Actually.........I came across this Opera. It's pretty awesome. It's faster than Firefox. It shows tabbed pages as thumbnails, pretty quick to close.......Has all those good features that were discussed here for comparison.........

14. loyal

loyal New Member

True,

preferred browser of an IT pro == firefox.
    what i meant is not for developing web applications ( tho' some websites post a best viewed on a xyz browser advisory note ), but as a end user.

some background.

Certain Javascripts are a pain in the A*** with IE, they work as a breeze on firefox ( i am not a web programmer myself, something that these web-admins had to say due to a strange problems that were encountered with IE browsers ) reason standards compliance else one needs to tweak it to work with MS.

bottomline : Interoperability matters

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Has anyone here used Opera (except Ronnie).

You cna turn off those annoying Javascripts that resize, pop-up, hide the webpages.

Ofcourse it has loads of other features too.

16. loyal

loyal New Member

^^
    I have used Opera on Linux about 4-5 years ago, i liked the tab based browsing that it offered, IIRC Opera was the first to introduce this. Haven't tried Opera of lately !!

17. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

I've used it .. Lovely browser .. I find it just a tad slower than FF

I've stopped using it coz I'm having some problems connecting through a proxy. Maybe some settings which I'm unaware of.

18. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Opera has a much smaller memory footprint than firefox.

@alpha1: Firefox has a plugin called NoScript that blocks all scripts except on a per-site allow basis.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Thats the prob with Firefox.

Firefox comes with 4.5MB installer, nad had practicially nothign built-in. You gotta search and dload stuff.

Opera comes with 3.8MB installer, and has practically everythign you require.

Plus, the mouse gestures thignie is simply awesome.

Hark, I am not against FF, but certain things I really find annoying.
    And the Memory consumption by FF is a real PITA.

Pssst: One stupid (but amazingly annoying) thign with frirefox is that it asks you to restart firefox whenever you install a new add-in.

Even a new skin asks you for a restart. :mad:

Oh and like I said, FF doesnt come with any feature built-in, you probably can quote some plugins for FF, but Opera doesnt require any to restore crashed session, or to reopen closed pages - A very basic utility.

20. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

a) Firefox can be configured for mouse gestures as well.
    b) The restart thing is annoying I agree
    c) FF has built in restore session and recently closed pages. What are you talking about?