Fingers touching strings while playing chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by maheshwar_86, Nov 10, 2009.

1. maheshwar_86

maheshwar_86 New Member

I just started with guitar and was doing some practice, now the thing is that when i curl up my fingers on the fret board i they tend to toucht the two strings adjoining to the one m trying to play, especially the string immediately below the one m playing, should this be avoided?? if yes then how can i do that? i can some how control this on lower strings but on strings 5 and 6 it happens for sure with the ring finger and the little finger (my little finger actually dances around the string)..please help..

2. spydra

spydra New Member

The easiest way to correct this is to adjust the thumb position of your left hand. The thumb should be perpendicular to the fret board which, in turn, helps your fingers be vertical when you hit a note.

Let me know if this helps. Try checking a few youtube videos for the correct thumb position.

3. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

You just need to practice more and more. Every new guitarist faces these problems. Go to a teacher if you can't figure out the proper technique, because bad habits are very hard to get rid off...

4. metalhammer

metalhammer New Member

Find a good guitar teacher.He would iron out your technical flaws.Playing alone is one thing and getting trained from a seasoned teacher is another.

5. metalhammer

metalhammer New Member

Though try adjusting your thumb positioning.That may help.

6. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

+1 to that. There are lots of other things to remember...like, how your fingers touch the fret board(and what position do you hold on a fret), if you are barring the chords properly (in case of bar chords)... Your right hand technique is also very important. I suggest you to watch and learn from John Petrucci's tutorial video called "Rock Discipline". Try googling for more info on the video... ;)