fingering problem

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Dido, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Dido

Dido New Member

well, another problem, i have bought a capo to play chords like 455444 or like 223422 , u know when you have to put one of your finger on the whole fret so that it presses all the sttrings. But i am having problem in pressing all the strings, as people tell me that my fingers are small or whatever, i was thinking of using the capo but there are songs where you have to change from 223322 to 446544, so there i can't use the capo.
    So here is the question, in a program i saw the guitarist using some kind of thing which he had on his index finger, by which he was playing these chords also changing his fingering position.
    So is there any thing like that, as capo is fixed is fixed at one place and cannot be moved ina song.

2. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

How small r ur fingers? Mine are quite small too, in fact they're smaller than most peopel of my age whom ive seen... My index finger is roughly 6.3 cms... and i don't hve ANY problems playing barre chords... don't look to use gadgets to make ur playng easier all the time... a little bit of practising is always much better.

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Its called Barre chords...

YOu can use a slide probably. But it will make it tougher to play other stuff.

As essi said . Only Practice can help.

4. alli

alli The Best Ever

yea..take it from an somewht beignner...... fingering it is the best thing to do...after a while u'll get used to it and ur fingers will adapt to it some how... my index finger too has a prob going all the way to the 6th string..but practise will perfect it .

5. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

all ladies i've seen have pretty long fingers. and i thought they wd naturally be good guitar players.

so alli are u a lady? :p

6. alli

alli The Best Ever

yea well - i got long fingers too in a way..but they somehow fall short on the fret board...hehe

and no ! - im not gonna get bugged on tht qs. for u prash nemore...

after all - u rock !!! i pebble !!! hehe

7. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

hmmm......... :think: (dont complain if thats someone's copyright)

i need to seriously get this rock and pebble theory to my head and sport some resultant attitude... i mean, whoa, are there really some poor creatures on this planet less blessed than i? argh, what would life be for them!

hmmm......... :think:

god help those...

8. jayanth

I have fingers like Steve Vai's .... Lonng.. Thats my Copyright.. But exceptions for fellow spammers.

9. alli

alli The Best Ever

hmmm.................:think: is MY copyright.... i canc u know tht already prash..... i almost forgot ... thnx for reminding ... i donno the last time we discussed tht eh ? ..hehe...

we're not less blessed... but we appreciate u more... :)

10. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

Slides to play barre chords? :shock: slides r meant for sliding, i guess, as the name suggest. u can't play barre crds with it.

and ya, i'd use a capo for playing chords high on the fret board like on 12th or 13th or something. something like what bryan adams plays in 'cuts like a knife'.

u'll feel like u would never be able 2 play barre chords at first, but keep practising, coz barre chords r worth it.

check out the website: www.guitarprinciples.com
    u'll find some good lessons for it.

11. jayanth

I play Barre chords with the Slide on.. Whats the big deal??

12. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

Yeh barre chords can be played by sliding.
    And about long fingers i got big hands much bigger than boys of my age.Its an old belief that people with long fingers are born talanted;-).look at steve vai hes talanted.:rule:
    GODS GREATEST.

13. jayanth

Look at me :p .. I play Barre chords with the slide on cause i dont want to remove it and put it back again..

PLEASE Dont cultivate this habit..

14. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

Already used to this habbit our sir does the same.........not sliding but lifting a bit and sliding partially in air and partially on the fret board.not a bad habbit though.:)

15. jayanth

It is quite a bad habit..

One thing you wont get your sliding right or the chords right. But i am trying to over come those thats it..

16. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

Bad habbits dont go fast.;-):mad:

17. jayanth

18. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

The solution to playing barre chords is simply PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

19. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

But once u get the hang of it, barre chords are the easiest thing u can play on a guitar.

20. jayanth

Barre are easy.. If you stop thinking about them..