Finger strumming

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Aerosmith, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Aerosmith

Aerosmith New Member

Hey, are there any good guides on how to learn finger strumming, or strumming without picks?? it would be really helpful if you could post a tutorial yourself

2. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

search this forum.

i'm not an expert on the subject but i do know that there are various styles of finger strumming/plucking.

3. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

well i doubt this thing actually NEEDS a tutorial, it's a rlly simple thing. i tend to divide my 5 fingers into two parts, 1: thumb, 2: the rest. and then. use 1 for upstrokes and 2 for downstrokes... have ur hand as if it's about to pick summin off the top of the strings...

4. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

it does need a tutorial actually.

For instance how would you play with the Clawhammer technique and how would that differ to the Scruggs technique?

5. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

i strum using fingers without the need of any technical jargons:p:

6. zing

zing Machine Head

th classical/spanish style is use the thumb for strings 6 & 5, index for 4, middle for 3, ring finger for 2, & little finger for 1 ... u can PM mr singh for more info

modern guitar players tend to play with only thumb & first 2/3 fingers -- notably mark knopfler of dire straits [the scruggs mentioned above]

personally when i dont have a plec, i play with thumb nail for upstrokes & index fingernail for downstrokes [technically called clawhammer]

so now u can take ur "pick"..... no pun intended :)