Finger exercises.

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by d_ist_urb_ed, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Thanks a lot for your tip:)
    @all, alright, enough with the easy exercises, time to bring out the ones that make you bleed, oh yeah, wait till tomorrow, and i'll have them ready:grin:

2. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

cool thread mr mod
    insted of starting from the 1st fret...try ir from the fifth
    it helped me....

e--------
    B--------
    G--------
    D--------
    A--------
    E-5-6-7-8

then go down the string...like play E first then A then D then G then B then e
    repeat this

and yeah
    strum DOWN and UP with a pick

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

melodic finger exercise

finger exercises could get boring..wouldnt it be a capital if one could exercise and that exercise belts out a melody/tune?..here is my share to d_ist_urb_ed's thread on finger exercises..hey cant u make this a sticky one?..anyways..here goes my exercise

E]-3-4------------------------------
    A]------2-4-------------------------
    D]-----------2-4/6------------------
    G]-------------------4---------------
    B]-----------------------5-------------
    E]--------------------------4-5-6-7----

Now..as for ur fretting hand....u can play these notes with any finger u wish..and i learned to play this by plucking all strings with my thumb..u can try all ur fingers or even a plectrum and u can even try alt picking on this..just about anything!!..well..that all for now..hope uL like and find it useful..feeback plz :D

tahda!!

4. dark_angel

dark_angel New Member

HEY!! disturbed...thanx ...the site u reffered really helped me...THANX

5. cosmic_charm

cosmic_charm New Member

How long do we do warm up?

6. chirag11kapoor

chirag11kapoor New Member

you can also use arpeggios played at different places to increase to ur speed in addition
    to chromatic scales .these make fingers more dynamic.
    and while u r playing the simple chromatic scales on the electric guitar u should accent up certain notes. makes it sound cool. and also on electric ,try muting strings which you r not playing.its really important

7. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

Stretching Exercise : John Petrucci

well, i tried to post this ina new thread but after about three tries i couldnt see the thread. so i figured that i must be pretty unpopular with the mods and so am posting the exercise here.

Finger stretching exercises

Okay, I tabbed these exercises straight out of John Petrucci’s guitar tutorial video “Rock Discipline”. These exercises are very effective in increasing finger flexibility and strength, and serve as good warm-up exercises too. I have reaped immense benefits from these and I hope so will you. Good luck.
    As far as possible I’ve tried to mention in detail the verbal instructions Petrucci gives while playing these examples.

First Stretch

In this stretch, you have to place the four fingers of the hand on the four adjacent strings on four consecutive frets, starting from the fourth string tenth fret! That means the first finger on the 10th fret fourth string, the second finger at the 11th fret 3rd string, the third finger at the 12th fret second string and the fourth finger at the 13th fret 1st string. Looks tough, well not at all. Here! For convenience I’ve written the fingers used under the tabs.
    Code:
    E-|----------------------------13-
    B-|--------------------12---------
    G-|------------11-----------------
    D-|-----10------------------------
    A-|--------------------------------
    E-|--------------------------------
                1       2       3        4 
    Okay now play the first four strings consecutively, don’t strum them, but play them as an arpeggio, so that each note rings out clearly. Watch out for hums, buzzes and rattles. The occurrence of these means you are not fretting all the notes properly. Also, be careful about the pinky. It easily is the weakest finger in an untrained or partly-trained hand and can cause problems, so pay attention to it.

Once you’ve got that, now it’s time to make the first change. Change the positions of the two INSIDE fingers. Now the second finger is on the 11th fret but in the SECOND string and the third finger is on the 12th fret but of the THIRD string. Got it? Here’s the tab.
    Code:

B-|--------------------11---------
    G-|------------12-----------------
                1       3       2        4 
    Was that easy! Once again play the first four strings as an arpeggio and check the notes. When you’ve got that, then the second change is in order. This time change the positions of the two OUTSIDE fingers. Now the first finger is on the 10th fret but in the FIRST string and the fourth finger is on the 13th fret but on the FOURTH string. Here’s the tab.
    Code:
    E-|----------------------------10-
    G-|------------12-----------------
    D-|-----13------------------------
                4       3       2        1 
    You know what to do, play the notes to perfection. Then make the third change. Again change the positions of the two INSIDE fingers, so that they are in their original positions, the second finger on the 11th fret of the THIRD string and the third finger on the 12th fret of the SECOND string. It should look like this.
    Code:
    E-|----------------------------10-
    D-|-----13------------------------
                4       2       3        1 
    What are you waiting for, PLAY! This accomplished the final change. Again change the positions of the two OUTSIDE finger, so that they are in their original positions, the first finger on the 10th fret of the FOURTH string and the fourth finger on the 13th fret of the FIRST string. With this change, you see, that we have come full circle to the very first shape.
    Code:
    When you have memorized this pattern and the changes, practice them in order, over and over again, preferably with a metronome or a drum machine. Play the notes as quarter notes. There is no point however in playing this in WILD SPEEDS. The main aim is to facilitate stretching and increase finger dexterity. For that, the clarity of notes is more important than the speed in which they are played.
    Now for the most important thing, the purpose of this little exercise and how to achieve it. When you’ve got all this fluently, start shifting the whole exercise one fret to the left. For example, starting from the 9th fret the first pattern would look like this.
    Code:
    E-|----------------------------12-
    G-|------------10-----------------
    D-|-----9-------------------------
    Repeat the whole exercise from this position. Then, when you get the hang of this position shift one place more to the left (begin from the 8th fret). Keep doing this. The frets grow bigger as you go left on the fretboard, so when you’ve reached the 1st fret, you’ll see that you’re doing quite a stretch! Enjoy.

Part II coming up shortly.

8. pranabgohain

pranabgohain New Member

Re:

Whoa!! This is an awesome thread

9. sayanakaharry

oops. sorry. somebody has already attempted to post this exercise. didnt see it. but the details are missing and the tabs are wrong there. so no harm. ;)

10. d_ist_urb_ed

Wait for an update.

11. d_ist_urb_ed

New exercise

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------3h4h5h6---|
    b|-----------------------------------------------------------------3h4h5h6-------------------|
    G|--------------------------------------------------3h4h5h6----------------------------------|
    D|-----------------------------------3h4h5h6-------------------------------------------------|
    A|-------------------3h4h5h6-----------------------------------------------------------------|
    E|------3h4h5h6------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Self explanatory, pick the first note hammer the others, try to get a smooth continuos pace going here. Start slow, finish fast. Will develop fluidity and some pick control.

And oh yeah, the next person who gives me bad reputation for "copying" this exercise is going to get a earful from me, most of these exercises are generic, meaning almost everyone comes up with them eventually, i just post the ones which i think can be useful in developing technique.

12. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

Herez some of the stuff i found on some site. I've been using it as a warm-up, and it has proved to be extremely useful especially in developing finger independence.

e|-------------------------------------1---2------------|
    B|------------------------------1---2-------------------|
    G|-----------------------1---2--------------------------|
    D|----------------1---2---------------------------------|
    A|---------1---2----------------------------------------|
    E|--1---2----------------------------------------------|
    (1) (2) <<<< Fingers to use

e|------------------------------------2---3------------|
    B|-----------------------------2---3-------------------|
    G|----------------------2---3--------------------------|
    D|---------------2---3---------------------------------|
    A|---------2---3---------------------------------------|
    E|--2---3----------------------------------------------|
    (2) (3)

e|------------------------------------3---4------------|
    B|-----------------------------3---4-------------------|
    G|----------------------3---4--------------------------|
    D|---------------3---4---------------------------------|
    A|---------3---4---------------------------------------|
    E|--3---4----------------------------------------------|
    (3) (4)

Now u can do this all the way down the fretboard. As the rule, start slow, and then accelerate. After u become the champ in this, do like this:

e|------------------------------------1---3------------|
    B|-----------------------------1---3-------------------|
    G|----------------------1---3--------------------------|
    D|---------------1---3---------------------------------|
    A|---------1---3---------------------------------------|
    E|--1---3----------------------------------------------|
    (1) (3)

e|------------------------------------2---4------------|
    B|-----------------------------2---4-------------------|
    G|----------------------2---4--------------------------|
    D|---------------2---4---------------------------------|
    A|---------2---4---------------------------------------|
    E|--2---4----------------------------------------------|
    (2) (4)

Then this excercise is tailor-made for ur pinky. N I invented it myself, 100%:

e|----------------------------------------------------------1---3---4------------|
    B|-----------------------------------------------1---3---4-----------------------|
    G|------------------------------------1---3---4----------------------------------|
    D|-------------------------1---3---4---------------------------------------------|
    A|--------------1---3---4--------------------------------------------------------|
    E|--1---3---4--------------------------------------------------------------------|
    (1) (4) (4)

You can use this excercise with any other shy finger on any fret position. Hope u like em. Rotten eggs or flowers, all welcome.....

13. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

A simple yet very useful exercise for the pinky

Hello Guys...

The exercises posted in this thread are great....and will surely help everybody play a lot better...at least these are helping me a lot..

We all know that the 4th finger (Commonly known as the "Pinky") is by far the weakest finger of our hand and can be quite a pain while playing guitar....second to that is our 3rd finger..

This exercise is simple but is immensely helpful...it will help you to strengthen your 3rd finger and your pinky...which in turn will improve your guitar playing a lot...

Here it goes....

e|----------5-6---------------------------------------------5-6-----
    B|-------------5-6-------------------------------------5-6----------
    G|-----------------5-6---------------------------5-6----------------
    D|---------------------5-6-----------------5-6-----------------------
    A|--------------------------5-6------5-6------------------------------
    E|------------------------------5-6------------------------------------

Place your 3rd finger on the 5th fret and your pinky on the sixth fret on the lower e string ( the 1st string)...then keeping your 3rd finger in place , try lifting your pinky and tap on the sixth fret for 8 times....thats the warm up.

Then try doing alternative tappings on the 5th and the 6th fret for atleast 8 times with both the fingers while you play those strings...make sure that the notes are coming out clearly....then move your way up to the 6th string.and then down.....

When you are done with the 5th and 6th frets...move down to the 6th and 7th fret and so on....go down the fretboard as much as you can and then move up again to the 5th and 6th frets....

I am sure that practicing this exercise regularly will strengthen your 3rd finger and your pinky and will help you play a lot better...in terms of both clarity and speed..

Kindly give me your feedbacks on this one..

Thanks a lot..!!
    Probuddha

14. d_ist_urb_ed

Niiiiiice, keep posting people, and contribute your knowledge and help us all out, thank you.

15. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

@probudhha: Hope u had checked my post closely... *shakes head, mutters "spammers!!" n walks away*

16. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

Sorry buddy, but I didn't get you.

17. sayanakaharry

@probuddha

wat evo guy means is that ur exercise and his are the same but begin from different positions at the fretboard.

18. Evo Guy 911

Evo Guy 911 Banned

^^^ U said it all mate... :)

19. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

here's an exercise i learn't it from one of my friends long ago but its very useful,guess its a part A harmonic minor scale(not sure whether harmonc or relative minor).
    G---------------7--9-10---10-9-7--------------I
    D-----7--9-10----------6-----------10- -9-----I
    do try it.:)

20. akshay_ankur

akshay_ankur New Member

great stuff boss.....exactly what i was looking for here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.