few suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by light_of_erindi, Apr 25, 2005.

1. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

:rock:
    I like the overall look of IGT tho it'll take time to get used to it. but i wud have liked to see some features added like mp3 hosting ...i mean i've seen many users posting their recordings and asking feedback and they give links for some file sharing site.... instead let's have it here.

like say each user gets a 5 MB space where he/she can store his/her recordings...there r abour 6000 users on IGT so that'll only take about 30 GB of space.....

And users can add or delete the recordings as they r satisfied with the feedback.

Say what? :think:

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

hey LoE ...seein u after a long time............
    5 Mb wud be less man..........tho i wud like to see not just mp3..file hosting in genral....but it wud be too much of a fatka man...........but nice thought all the same

3. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

Nice suggestion mate!
    But, here the question doesnt arrive of just providing the 5MB space, but the associated bandwidth with it, which would be used for the files download!
    And bandwidth is very costly!
    Currently we consume over 40GB per month!
    So lets assume on an average a file is downloaded 10times!
    Then that means an additional requirement of 100GB of bandwidth!

But definately an dream service! Some day, when we would have our owned servers lined up with T1 connections, we would provide the best facilities!
    So till then, keep posting!

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

4. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

hi zoom.

i want to suggest something - and tho i admit that my idea is kinda clumsy, a more practicable variation of it can most likely be worked out.

have a look at
    http://dl1.rapidshare.de/en/banners.html

sites like ^^^^^ rapidshare that allow users to upload their stuff (of any kind except; and such like) to their site. the above link is for their banners. so i was thinking like if we could have a link to their site or one of those banners where IGT-ers could click and be taken to the rapidshare site. once there, they could upload their stuff and the rest of IGT-ers could download it from the link (the uploader will have to let us know what the link is).

that way we can save server space and also bandwidth. also this is a free service and since they have a banner service, they are most probably open to the idea of other sites using the facilities they provide.

& i am sure their are other similar websites, if rapidshare doesnt turn out to be very good.
    www.yousendit.com is another but the uploads stay for 10 days or so. we used it quite effectively for the "some ideas- shread and more" thread started by boudewijn.

could this be a possible solution to the mp3 hosting problem ?

ok now besides that uploading problem -

i liked the face lift you gave to igt.

suggested changes are -
    - the writting on the buttons are kinds too small. you got inch wide buttons with millimetre wide script on them !! cant that be increased somewhat.

- though the new colours are very sober, everything is kinda faded & foggy. cant the other stuff (writtings, buttons etc) be made of colour(s) more in contrast, wrt the background?

- the details below the handles of each member - that eats up a lot of space. if you used a dot (red/green/grey like b4) to indicate "status" and put one/two of the other details, like reputation on the bar above (which shows post#), then we could save a lot of space. the new arrangement is especially a menace/waste with the one-liner sort of posts.

- finally the portal - its all very nice and cool. but sometimes the 'random igt-ian" shows a guitar or a drumset instead of a humanoid!! and the latest poll - often its one from the urdu or bengali or tamil forums - to which all surfers to IGT may not be able to connect - cant we select the poll from cc, computer forum, music talk and other such "general" furums instead of a specific language or type of music or from the feedback forum (!!) ??

cheers,
    jamhead

5. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

We are not endorsing any site!
    If you know where to upload your stuff do it! We cant advertise some other site here!
    And we are not at all in MP3 Hosting right now!

Regarding your Cosmetic Changes suggestion... none are acceptable to me!
    We cant go around changing the look and feel on personal feel basis!
    This is what we currently felt was good.. and so its up and running!

The details arrangement below each member is good and goes along with the new look and feel! If you are concerned more about the waste of space... I expect you wont post much one liners and try to complete watever you want to say in ONE Single post! In short be a little Responsible!

Random IGTian is randomly drawn from the IGT Album! So watever pictures, members have uploaded there would be shown....regardless of whether its an human or a guitar gear!

POLL is randomly selected from the entire board and we have no plans to dedicate it to a single forum! Especially not CC Lounge!
    This setup gives equal chance for all POLL's from entire forum to be on the main page!

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

dude...if its foggy prolly somethings wrong with the monitor :p:
    and it aint small man..mebbe u r stiiting too far......
    and chek any other forum..that is the format they use........the details on the side..in fact even IGT long time back had that format.......
    and the colors and contrast is really nice....dunno y everybody keeps sayng tht its hard on eyes....i mean..its such a pleasing and a pleasant combination....kinda reminds me of a pleasant spring evening in the european country side :)
    i am totally loving thise

7. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

@Saurabh ....I was giving three interviews man.....software sucks...:(:(

Thanx for the feedback...I hope IGT sees the day when it will be hosted by a T1 line server...:):)

8. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

by the way, talking of bandwidth and cost how much it actually costs per month?