Fender Tie Dye Strat & the Fender Stagemaster Mexican Made or American Made ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Aug 29, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    The Fender Tie Dye Strat and the Fender Stagemaster looks pretty impressive. I might pick them up. I want to know if these are Mexican Made or American Made.
    Another thing is, quality wise what is the difference between American and Mexican Strat. Till now I have played only on 3 Fender Strat 2 of them were Mexican and one was an Anniversary Edition American one. The American Strat even though looked great didn't sound all too good. The one Mexican I played had Seymour Duncan pickups but sounded total crap. Recently I played through another Mexican which had stock pickups. The pickups were rusted, the strings were rusted but the guitar sounded heavenly inspite of it's several unplayable features like extremely rusted strings and high action. So I want to have a fair knowledge of these before I end up picking them.bv

2. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

I haven't played that many Mexican and American strats to be able to give you a detailed difference. From what I've heard there is a quality difference but in reality the Mexican's are still a really good guitar.

Unfortunately with Fender it really depends where and when it was made and from what line. For instance I played a Mexican 57 Re-issue strat and the fretboard was fat and glossy but sticky. But I have also played a modern 2004 Mexican Tele with the thinner neck that plays almost like the American Tele. I would say that with the Fender the two biggest things that make a difference are the pickups and the fretboards, and since the stock pickups on modern Fender's are all machine factory wound I would venture a guess that the Mexican pickups aren't that much inferior to the American ones. The second item would be the fretboard and the Mexican ones are still good.

Judging from the price they seem to be either Mexican or Corona guitars, my money would be on these guitars being Mexican.

In short on the American vs Mexican front the differences are normally either huge or not as huge but there is a difference. Which one you choose really depends on how much you want to spend imho as there is no harm in getting a Mexican.

3. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Mexican ones are generally good, but you have to try many to pick out the really good one. Forntunately i played a pretty good one (a Telecaster) and i am really happy with it, expect for the pickups, which i am swapping out soon. I have played some Americans and all of them have been excelent.

Anyways, for the money, mexicans are worth it but be sure to try out as many as you can, there are always some that stand out!

4. ronnieanand

A typo in my message. It was Fender Showmaster not Stagemaster. Looks damn good and the stock one comes with Seymour Duncan Pickups with 2 Humbuckers. But for Fender I somehow like single coils than Humbuckers. Even played through this Malmsteen signature stacked Humbucker. Sounded crap.

5. ronnieanand

What about Fender Showmaster and Tie Dye Strat. Are these American or Mexican.

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

@ronnie--i just bought the fender squier showmaster..S-S-H config.
    well it is a budget guitar but it just felt right when i played it..and i took it off my friends hands for 13 grand..and he had it only for a month.
    the neck is a shredders delight..and the reverse headstock just gives it a diff look.
    overall best 13 grand i spent till date.on the back it says..that its crafted in indonesia.hmm..something to think abt i guess.

ahh..i expect the fender showmaster to be much better obviously..

a few of my friends own the american strat and one of them just bought a fender mexican
    strat...he told me that the feel of the guitar is almost like my showmaster...

the american has better hardware and pups ...
    and probably will withstand much more punishment.

my 2 bucks.
    peace.

7. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

ahhh..and yes..

it has a strat style floating bridge..no lockin system tho..
    but it stays in tune when i set it up properly and used the bar.

and i also got some pretty good blues tones out of the single coil neck pick up.
    i played through boss mt-2 and used the humbucker bridge...and i got some van halenish,nuno buttencort tones..

the single coils hum a little more than u want to at times..but all single coils hum..heheh..
    so im not too dissapointed..
    the stock pick ups are not bad at all..

if u have the moolah to go for the FENDER showmaster..ahhh..nothin like it.

8. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Anand Call we have the Showmaster in Stock at SB Music also got ur details for the Takmine ... I have played the tie dye fender infact I was going to buy it but Now like we discussed the other day Im getting either brand new Highway 1 or a 2nd hand Lone Star ... I m still selling my Mexican strat I will send u detail mail on the same.

Ninad

9. ronnieanand

How much is the Fender Showmaster in SB Musicals. I think I wont go for the Takamine now. I got some pretty bad reviews from some guys. My next choice is for Zager Guitar or Zager modified Martin. Comes to about $500 but I guess it will be worth the price. I am just concerned about how they react with Indian whether. Yesterday I went to kinda decided to buy myself an Acoustic. Checked out Ovation, Montana, GB&a and J&D. Somehow didn't like any of them. So came back home empty handed. At last managed to borrow my friend's Givson Jumbo. This will keep me company till I find myself a good Acoustic.

10. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Anand I have send u mail also tried calling ur cell phone send me or home no again pls ..

Regards

Ninad

11. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

Well Showmaster I think is a Fender Squire?? Especially if its says made in Indonesia. Stay away from it.

I am going out on a limb and going to say the Tie Dye is a Mexican but I'm having a guess there. I really honestly don't think its an American or a California build guitar.

From a best value for money POV you should go with either the Mexican or spend a little more and get those Californian Highway-1 models.

12. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

there is a fender squier as well as a fender showmaster.

i own a squier showmaster.its a good guitar.

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

yeah...i tried out sqiuer showmaster...its gud!even the sporean strat is worth the sound!

14. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Hi Andy ,

Send you Detail mail on pricing of Squire Showmaster & The Tie Dye Strats I have checked with the Fender dealers locally ... from What I was told is they are retailing Tie Dye strat at appx 37,000 / - .. Well incase you are looking at Squire its not bad for the price ... My Neighbour owns Stage Master which is not taken care off & after around two yeas it still sound s grt ... I have personnely seen around & Played with atleast 8 to 10 Squire Showmasters here one thing I have noticed is that all the guitars are conistant with the built & the sound which is not the case with Squire Affinty Strats ... U are most likely to get a good Affinty after palying with atleast 10 of them + pricing factor Affinty Pricing always differs from time to time here in India if you can call me later tonite at home I Will expalin why to you ...

Ninad