FENDER Strat or SQUIRE Strat????

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by prog_man_0101, May 1, 2006.

1. prog_man_0101

prog_man_0101 Dain Bramaged

This one is for the guitar geeks.....:cool:
    I am not able 2 figure the exact diff between an ORGINAL FENDER STRATOCASTER an a SQUIRE STRATOCASTER (AFFINITY SERIES).....
    They both look the same.....both have 3 single coil pickups.......both don come with floyd....then why is there such a massive diff in their prices(Original costs abt 40K...while a squire one costs abt 11k)......:think:
    ALso i wuld like 2 ask....is it possible 2 change pickups of a squire strat???

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Looks can be deceiving. Play both and you will know the difference.

3. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

dude there is no comparison between the two. dont go buy looks. squires are made of cheap wood and have really bad pickups in them.strat is the most copied guitar in the world. just try the them. youll know the difference as dmf said

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I just aksed a person who happens to own both Squier and Fender Strat.
    This was his response:
    Need I mention more?

This is the rest I could get:

* the strat has a more signature sound
    * i like the neck profile of the strat better
    * fender is sweeter sounding, the strat i mean
    * the showmaster is a lil to harsh for my ears
    * strats are a lil brighter
    * showmaster has a super-strat kind of shape..not quite though
    * the strat body is bigger
    * and is heavier
    * more sustain too ...

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

as dirty as it may sound, pretty much drives the point home...

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

How did the Showmaster come into this??:think:And the Mexican Fender is still not an American :p:
    He's asking about the Squier Strat and Fender Strat.
    Anyways, the American strat has higher quality parts throughout, and not generic korean ones.If you look up the prices, those high-qulaity tuners, bridges,controls etc etc do not come cheap.The wood used on the body and neck is of a much better quality,the pickups are Fender originals.It is really the sum of all its parts that makes it costlier, not one particular feature.
    Plus, quality control:the American Fenders will have much more consistency from piece-to-piece and over a period of say, a few years.With the Squiers,the quality would have higher variation.
    Go to a few shops, play all the Squiers and most probably you WILL find a decent one.One of my colleagues recently bought a Squier Tele which was a real good piece, low action,smooth neck and bright clear pickups.Of course, I havent played a real Strat or tele to compare :(

7. prog_man_0101

WOW.....Didn't knw tht!!!......Alpla's reply sums it all up!!!

Wht abt the second part of my query...Is it possible 2 change pickups of SQUIRE STRAT????

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

as far as i know, u can change the pick ups of any guitar...

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Yup, you can definitely change the pickups and electronics on any guitar, those make a big diference too.

10. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

n if one wants to change the pickups what r the cost range he can expect ie to get a decent one??(duhhh i dont need to know this answer rite now but still)

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

HAha you caught me, but
    The difference "I" wanted to talk about is Fender vs Squier.
    :p:
    Fender Tele will be much better than the Squier Tele in general.

Hey Prog, its Dharmatma, RIP :p, you should thank.
    What a useful guy IGT has lost.
    https://indianguitartabs.com/member.php?u=3753

Krish:
    https://instruments.search.ebay.com...fsopZ1QQkeywordZonQQsacatZ3858QQstrkwZpickups
    These are on Ebay.

Brand new will be more costly.

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

There is no limit to the price, you can go from $30 GFS pickups to about $60-70 Dimarzios/Duncans to about $100+ Fralins to the real crazy boutique stuff for over $200, and thats just for 1 pickup.And dont even get me started on the different varieties available.

@alpha..Yup, and the Mexican fenders are supposedly VERY close to the US ones these days, and you really do pay more for the 'Made-in-the-USA' tag

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Haha, I read somewhere that US-Fender employs mexicans mostly. :p:
    Anyway one more thing I would liek to add is that the Price also includes the cost of marketing and cost of exclusiveness.

14. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

@that cindy crawford and toon-toon thing
    :RollLol::RollLol::RollLol:

isn't squire owned by fender??

and i like broadcasters/telecaster much better than strats.how much do you get onw in India for?

15. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Fender Strat sucks and Squier Strat rulz absolutely. Especially if you have Lace Sensor Hot Gold Fit on them... 'cos I own it :D

Anyway, I did a comparison between two setups.....

An American Fender with EMG Pickups going through BBS Sonic Stomp Rack and a Rocktron Intellflex Rack....

A Squier Standard Strat with Lace Sensor Hot Gold pickups going to a Behringer Bass Amp....

Both of us really enjoyed and liked the Squier more than the American Fender through all those racks...

But the Fender had a different feel which was very nice to hold.... But tonally my Squier won :beer:

16. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Squier Affinity tele can be had for 11K from bajaao

17. prog_man_0101

ONe more ques ppl......(AM new 2 the elec World!!!!!)
    Since Squire Strat has all 3 single coil pickups.....can it be changed 2 a combination with 2 single coil n one HUmbucker????

18. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

If you want a S-S-H combination you might as well buy a Fat Strat rather than buy a S-S-S type Strat and then modify one of the cavities to accomodate a humbucker.

19. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Squire belongs to Fender. It was introduced by Fender to market Good value for money guitar for the mid end market or for biggners who cant afford The Fenders .A Fender is made with beter quality parts, woods ext.
    Also note that the AFINNITY SERIES SQUIRE is still a further low end production series. made with still cheaper parts. For example a normal Fender strat or Tele will be made of Alder or Ash, but some of the The Affininty are made of AGATHIS wghich is just an OK tone wood, generaly used for Prototypes.
    Squires are decent - good guitars, but not the Affinity series, The Affinity is ok ( or may be even Bad). If you find a good squire you can change the pickups. You can cahnge pickups on any guitar. But since you want a hum-s-s look for a Squire that is HUM-s-s, otherwise you would need to take out some wood to acomidate the Humbucker. ( though I am almost sure a Squire is Pool or Univaersaly routed to accomidate any pickup configration.)

20. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

Squire is built under license and uses inferior parts compared to the Fender USA.

There's not really much else to be said than what others have already told you, but there is a HUGE difference.