Feel happy for me!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by raj.hendrix, Jun 24, 2007.

1. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

Who the hell deleted the old thread?! bastids!

anyway here goes...Feel Happy for me buggers!

Attached Files:

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

whats the pinku?

3. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

Ibanez DE-7 delay hehehe

Anyway the effects in the second pic are:

Morley PDW II wah wah
    Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
    Boss GE-7 Equalizer
    Ibanez DE-7 delay

and the amp is Laney LC15R all valve combo :) :) :)

Specifications:

Inputs: Hi & Lo Jacks
    Channels: 1
    Equalisation: Bass, Middle, Treble
    Bright Switch: Yes
    Preamp Valves: Premium ECC83
    Output Valves: Premium EL84
    Class: Class A / B
    Reverb: Yes
    Line In: Yes
    Footswitch: FS1 (Not included)
    Speaker connections Jack : Yes
    FX Loop(s): Yes
    Drivers: 1x 10" Celestion Tube 10

FEEEEEL HAPPPYYYY FOR MEEE!

4. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Give us some audio clips man!

5. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

i wish i could man! but i dont have any mics!

asking around for one...will definitely put them up once i get one.

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Nice!

Sound clips or else no respect from me :p:

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

congrats
    may your amp sound as heavy as Cannibal corpse.

:p:

8. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

nobody deleted ur thread, i simply moved it to chit chat lounge, and from there someone else moved it back here

9. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

nice gear.. how much did u get the amp for and frm where?

10. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Mr.Mod, a gear review and expression of joy is not chit-chatting. It has the most profound effect on a player and his skill. So, you should do better than to mix it to some stupid chit chats.

Thank you!

11. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^^that pretty much sums it up. thank you. you will get one parle g packet for that.

@godofguitar: i got it for 23k from Furtados(the bastards are very stringent on discount..was able to get just 1500 bucks off). its a Made in UK amp.

anyway now on to the gear review...since i havent got a mic i cant post soundclips but i can definitely give a nice literary description of what this baby can do:

First of all let me start with the knob controls

Gain: This controls the preamp overdrive and as u increase it...from 6 and above it enters into the next gain stage and the sound becomes thicker and thicker entering pure and beautiful tube distortion area(EL84 power tubes)...amazing! this and the volume knob has to be played with to get the kind of sound you want ranging from clean to crunch to thick heavy(but not metal heavy) distortion.

Bright switch: this is mainly to sparkle up your high end in clean tones...with high gain it just sounds Bad...but then again only an idiot would use a bright switch for distortion.

Bass/Middle/Treble: Passive EQ which doesnt really change the sound that much but hey! thats where my GE-7 comes into play.

Volume: Now this is the beauty....keep it low for clean(with gain around 1) and then crank it up for mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tube breakup! sound that you can really jack off to! just beautiful. around 6-7 with low gain, the tubes start to break up.

Reverb: now do i really need to explain that?

This is as all-tube as it gets, just let it warm up for 5 mins and then after u play for 20-25 mins more it gets nice and warm and the tone is to die for!
    it hasnt got much clean headroom but the breakup sound is too good to be true.

This amp is NOT meant for metal. you CANNOT get that heavy scooped up(read horrible...personal taste ofcourse :p: ) sound from this amp. it was meant for blues-rock, rock n roll, slightly heavier crunchy stuff like ACDC etc.

Its also got an effects loop but the only problem is that its a parallel one so you cant get COMPLETELY wet sounds(from the DE-7) but with level of delay around 3-4th i get the same level of delay that i generally use...so its perfect.
    havent tried phasers or other modulation based effects so cant comment on those.

oh btw this amp can REALLY replicate Dave Gilmour's tone. i mean REALLY..that typical british high mid/treble tone!

now with the BD-2, its a different monster all together...i keep the level on the BD-2 high as it can beautifully push the amp into higher gain territory.
    it doesnt sound that good with the gain(on the BD-2) above 75% because the BD-2 enters fuzz territory after that which inclines me to believe that this amp probably wont take a fuzz pedal that well. i guess that can also be explained by the lack of a lot of clean headroom.
    But hendrix lovers(including me) dont be disappointed because the gain on this(slightly pushed by the BD-2) is good enough for hendrix et al.
    the reverb is pretty decent, before 8 that it gives the right amount of wetness and beyond that is a little too shimmery for my taste.
    Whatever i play, this baby can do. I played it through a 4*12 cab the other day and HOLY$#^*((*#& !!! this baby can blow anything awaay!! very marshall-like tone.

right now im saving up for a 2 * 12 cab which should do the honours pretty well.

For the price, i doubt if you can get an amp this good(in india)...ofcourse there's the fender blues junior(unavailable in india though) but that amp is more for just pure blues aka buddy guy, bb king etc. fender amps are known for their clean and crunchy sounds and have known to have the most unusable overdrive channels(as compared to others ofcourse).
    i would've loved to have gotten hold of that one but i doubt if it would do justice to the slightly heavier stuff(which i play with my band) which the LC15R can easily perform.

my only gripe is the 10 inch speaker. if only it was a 12 inch one then there would be a lot of options to get way better ones like the vintage 30s or something. but thats why im saving up for the 2 * 12. guess what 12 inch speakers theyre going to have :)

The best part about tube amps is the way they accentuate every single note you play! every frigging mistake will loom up large to slap you in the face and every lovely lick will sound like the best thing on earth!
    jugadu players who love keeping the gain high to cover up mistakes BEWARE! muahaha! oh wait! that includes me also(to an extent)

but id say save up for a tube amp, there's nothing like it. really! all your emulators/simulators(i did test out the sansamp tri ac..its pretty decent but sounds kinda small) just CANNOT compare to the real thing. its worth every single penny! go for it!

12. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Nice review.

But worthless without clips :p:

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Congrats Bro..awesome stuff ! All your gear appears cool. Seriously, get some clips:)

14. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

okay here's a soundclip of the amp around breakup...most of the extra distortion is from the CRAAAAAAAPPPP mic i found lying somewhere...its the white one which u get free with the computer...costs 30 bucks or something PLUS its 4 years old hahahah! enjoy!

oh and please excuse the sloppy playing....still getting used to getting slapped in the face for errors hehe

https://rapidshare.com/files/39478325/1.mp3

15. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Congrats raj!!!. Now what you should do just for kicks is get some NOS tubes and swap them in. Should make quite a difference. If you're in a spending mood just get a set of Fralins or BL's for that strat and you're set...Tone Heaven

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Sounds NICE! and yeah I know just what that means, you can rest assured your playing is only going to improve from here on out... :) Have a load of Fun Dude... Now I'm itching to get started on mine all the more. Incidently that circuit is also almost the same as the Trinity TC15 which in turn is almost the 18W :)

17. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^^hey! thanks man! u on yahoo right now? can you come online?

18. ethenhunt

ethenhunt New Member

Hey raj whats ur google talk id.need to discuss that korg with u :)

19. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

20. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

oh btw can anyone give me the link to the new forums that laney created