fedora 3 .... help!

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by shak, Aug 26, 2005.

1. shak

shak Harrr!

right .. got my fedora installed today .. messed my xp tho .. cant get it to boot .. but i will onfigure the GRUB i am sure/ ... OR i do have the boot.ini and fixmbr to fix that anyway ..
    my question is how do i mount my fat32 partitions on fedora using the terminal!!
    help anyone?

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

i dunno how u messed the XP ... usually teh GRUB is such a well behaved system ...
    i ll reboot and check the Linux mounting ...

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

................ repetition ...........

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ok ... here ... there are two methods ... both require u to make a directory or many (according to your partitions) ...
    now u need to mount those DOS directories into these directories u created ... in order to acces 'em ...

1. u can either write a piece of shell code in your .bashrc or .bash_profile file (very similar to AUTOEXEC.BAT in DOS) in your /home/(whatever username)/ directory ... which gives instruction for the kernel to mount those devices into the file system ...
    2. better is to edit the fstab file in /etc/ folder ...

here is mine:
    (oops there seems to be some technical glitch ... i'll come back)

5. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah here is my fstabs file with the explanation in diff font:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda4 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /Windows/C vfat umask=000 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /Windows/E vfat umask=000 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /Windows/G vfat umask=000 0 0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

the /dev/hda5 is the hardisk partition of E drive as seen by Lunx ... (this comes up during Linux installation ... i dunno how to get this number once u have installed ... menne u can try all the numbers from 1 to number of partitions u have :)

the /Windows/E is the directory i have made in Linux which kinda points to the E drive ...

vfat is the fact that E drive is FAT 32 ...
    the umask and the codes taht follow i dont remember .. but this works for me :p:

https://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

p.s.: i attach the actual file ... coz somehow the page messes up the spacing ... dunno y? ... (mebbe it ignores all the whitespaces - like old browsers) ... mebbe Zoom can throw some light ...

Attached Files:

6. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

Hey...its simple!

First make a directory inside your /mnt/ folder!
    Thats where generally the Windows Parititions are mounted... Logically you can make the directory anywhere!
    So say.. you wanted to mount the "C-Drive" of windows... and i have made a directory called 'winc' on my linux box!

Now.. just mount the partition using the mount command!
    Here it is a trick.. I guess you know your hard disk partitions physical aspects...
    So say, you have a 1 Harddisk as Primary Master and Windows is installed on the root partition, i.e. C-Drive is your ACTIVE Partition, then use the following command:

Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/winc

Note... the "/dev/hda1" is totally depending on your configuration
    And also the "/mnt/winc"

After the mounting you can easily access the partition as a normal folder and all your windows files are accessible!
    Linux provides FAT32 Read/Write access... you can also write files to that partition!

And if you want this partition to be permanently mounted on every boot... then you need to add a entry in "/etc/fstab" file as mentioned by ssslayer above!

Rest is as simple as cake!
    Enjoy! :)

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

7. shak

shak Harrr!

thnx ssss ... thnx zoooooom great help

sss you got a bit late mate... what i did was ...get rid of the GRUB ..cuz i installed it in the /boot in the first place instead of MBR ..cuz i wanted to save my MBR ... but it truns out that when linux formatted the vfat drive to ext2 ..it cleared the MBR as well! . so i ran the fxmbr .. got xp back on track ..installed GRUB again .. and now its runing coool!
    thnx aloooooooooooooooooooot tho .. you've been real help

and eyah zoom will try moutnin ... if i couldnt i will bug you again , :)