Favorite Seven String Bands

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Mr. Scary, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

State your favorite bands that have seven string guitarists. If you like solo artists too, state them if you wish.

Emperor
    Morbid Angel
    Fear Factory (the old stuff)
    Cannibal Corpse
    Capharnaum (Dan Mongrain used a RG 7620 on the new album)
    Rusty Cooley
    Joe Satriani (I had to list him after hearing Mind Storm :shock: )
    Steve Vai (this one is an exception, i just love ONE song- The Audience is Listening)
    Nevermore (Jeff Loomis is bad-ass!!)

2. kw400

kw400 New Member

You have not mentioned Korn and Dream Theater here .... John Petrucci is one ferocious player when it comes to 7 string guitar playing. His chromatic burst in caught in a web is really inspiring. The same can be said about Korn .... some of their rhythms are brutal

Rusty Cooley is also super fast and super clean .... :)

Cheers,
    kW

3. Mr. Scary

Im not a big fan of Korn, but i will admit i do like some of their riffs. The thing with Dream Theatre is, they are all very talented musicians, but i can just NEVER get into any of their songs. I do love John Petrucci's solo records and yeah he is a bad ass seven string guitarist!

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Kerry King of Slayer has used 7 String guitar. He really got whacked for that. There was a lot of critisizm that he is not Steve Vai to play a 7 string. He replied saying that Steve Vai has not patented the 7 string guitar and it's just another instrument which he played and you dont need to be Vai to play it. That was a real funny interview.

5. Mr. Scary

^ LOL, any idea which album he used one on?

6. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

petrucci is god any given day.....korn ranges frm good to bad.....rusty is cool..but havnt heard him too much....

no cmnts bout satch and vai....any praises will be definite understatements....fear factory's christian wolbers is real good wid 7 strings....

7. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

i guess da nu one 'god hates us all' featured king on 7 string...nt sure though

8. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

korn plays everything on 7 strings...this band is gr8 and i love it....steve vai is also gud but he doesn't use 7 string to much!

9. Mr. Scary

I was actually refering to their old guitarist- Dino. Now he was bad-ass!!

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

kerry king?
    slayer?

when do they play seven string stuff??

i mean all the stuff that i have heard doesnt go beyond the 1/2 (or mebbe 1) step lower tuning ...
    7 string? which song?

one of my fav of 7 string wud be ... hmm ...
    Liquid Tension Experiment ... yeah that contains our very own John Petrucci ....

but frankly i dont like the 7 string thingy ... coz it sound just too trashy ... and steals the thunder from bass guitar ...
    and also coz in trying to cover those bands u dont know whether that sound was produced by guitar or by bass ...

11. Mr. Scary

My friend, hates it when I use my seven string. She says "A seven string guitarist is a bassist's worst enemy" ROFL.

12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

quite well put by your friend ...

if ya want that kinda sound ... u might as well ask the bassist to put overdrive/distortion ...
    in fact the bassist can get even lower/heavier ... that would sound even trashier ...

but heck, it does sound goood soemtimes ... u heard "Pulling teeth" by Cliff Burton on "Kill 'em all" ? ... sounds amazing ...

ne way i have seen some bassists with 6/7 strings ... so they are also trying to dabble into guitar's territory ...

13. ronnieanand

My bassy is always on Distortion. Even if he plays clean I bother him up to get the bass on high gain. I want him as my bassy + Rhythm Guitarist.

14. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah i guess that's the way it should go ...
    bass guitar for rhythm ... that way u can do away with one guiatrist ...
    and mebbe put in a keyboard ... however i am sure purists will differ on that ...

but then i like that clean bass sounds ... sounds very chic ... and classy ... especially walking bass lines ... and the slides on the bass ... very classy! ...

hey but ron man ... u must be playing most of the nu-metal kinda stuff ... otherwise 7 string or distorted bass doen't fit in the picture ... somehow ...

15. kw400

kw400 New Member

Well the mix of a 7 string guitar riff and a 5 string bass line go very well together. Korn are good at it and Dream Theater are unbelievable with Mr Petrucci and Mr Myung showing how its done aesthetically and giving it that extra heaviness. All you need to do is get the right tones out of your electric and bass guitars. I myself have a 7 String Ibanez and our bass player has a 5 String OLP bass. The Ibanez plugs into my Marshall JCM 900 and his bass goes into a Park 80 Watts bass amp. The rest is history. Its loud and its brutal. We work on a lot of 7 String instrumental and riff based stuff and believe me it sounds really good.

Cheers,
    kW

16. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hmmm kw ....
    would love to hear your "un conventional" set up ...

and ron man ... your set-up with bass on dist also ...

17. ronnieanand

Hey SSlayer,
    I dont play Nu Metal. I play mostly 60s and 70s Blues Rock but played in my own way. Getting a Rhythm Guitarist is tough. If it's another Lead Guitarist, then there's attitude problem between the two guitarists. So I go with bass on over drive with a high amount of gain. The bass lines themselves sound like a Rhythm Guitar and a bass played together. We dont use keyboards. So even when I solo, it doesn't sound hollow in the Rhythm section. Gets pretty tight sounding. Well I dont use a 7 string. I just said my Bassy is on distortion.

18. kw400

kw400 New Member

ssslayer .... here is the link to my band's website .....

www.knumb.com

I have done a small 7 string demo as well .... was in my office attire in a yellow tie ... :)

https://www.knumb.com/video7stringdemo.htm

We are currently recording a song using the setup I told you and will send you an mp3 once that is done. If you want to check out my instrumentals then all is available at our website ... There is footage of a recent guitar workshop as well .

https://www.knumb.com/videoWorkshopkhi.htm

Thx for your interest ...

Cheers,
    kW

19. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Carcass!!!!!

20. Mr. Scary

:rock:

Nice! Another fellow seven-stringer!!! :rock: